THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,
Haven't been on in a while. going back to work tomorrow after 6 months off and 6 months since surgery and I am feeling great. There is hope!!!! slept on my surgery side for the first time the other night. So nice to have 3 sleep options instead of one, have been on my back for the past 6 months. And have lost almost 70 lbs.! Doing PT to strengthen my L hip, hoping to have it replaced in June and recover over the summer since I am a teacher. Lif is really great pain free.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Wow...great report!!! I love that your new hip is settling in well and the weight loss is an amazing accomplishment. More power to you, hon!!!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,

Went to see my OS yesterday and L hip replacement is scheduled for Nov. 15. I'm actually looking forward to surgery as my TRHR went so well I can't wait to be out of pain. Looking for any and all input from anyone who has had both hips done and how they are faring now. Or input from anyone at all. thanks so much.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I am still limping a little after 12 weeks out from surgery. Are there others who are still limping? My OS says it is taking longer because of my weight but he says I do not need to go to physical therapy which I thought might help with my gait.

Hi Dianemarie,
I still limp as well and have found PT to be VERY helpful in improving my gait/stride. There are some stretches that the PT can do for your leg, that are impossible to accomplish on your own that I've found helpful for my range of motion with walking. My surgeon honored my request for PT even though he doesn't routinely prescribe it for hip patients.

Good luck!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

Ok, I see that I'm a few pages back in the past on my response about the limp....

I hope that your surgery in November goes well and that at that time if you fell you would benefit from physical therapy that you will ask and your doc will agree - how's that ;)

Going in search of some caffeine now...
Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Thanks for the input CMac. My limp on R side is now gone:thumb: and can't wait for L hip to be done and hoping for the same great results...pain free and a new lease on life on the L side! :yes 4:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Well, my LTHR is scheduled for just a little over 48 hours (Nov.15). My right hip was replaced Feb. 28, 2011. Believe it or not I'm not having a lot of anxiety, I am really almost looking forward to my surgery because I now know the beauty of being on the other side of it:yes 4: My daughter will be here tomorrow to spend the week with me for support :thumb:

Going to rehab but to a different place this time and maybe will be home for Thanksgiving, but if not that will be OK, as long as I am home for Christmas!

Will keep you posted, talk to you soon, on the other side of my "over night miracle" (that's what Margaret, who's on this site, calls the hip replacement!):dancy:
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

I feel like lots of us this site wind up getting both hips done. When I first went to my doc he told me I needed my left hip, right hip and right knee done. The nice thing is that after getting my left done I don't feel so scared about doing the right hip. I am only 4 weeks out and have lots of soreness on my "good" leg. Hoping that will calm down a bit when I can return to full weight on the operated leg
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

I hope all goes well with your surgery this week and you have a comfy time at the rehab facility!

Nice that your daughter could be with you for support :thumb:

We'll be happy to hear from you when you check in next.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

Best of luck for Tuesday, make sure you check back in when done.

Just think, pain free beckons!
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi, I also found at first the left side which was fine was hurting worst than the right one which had the replacement. I realized when the one that wasn't fix gets score its trying to tell me to slow down. i know its hard but baby steps is what it is all about.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Diane,
How are you? Hoping the second surgery went ok. You went in one day before me, I remembered there was someone, but lost track of who it was until now. Look forward to an update fellow Nibble.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi All,

Well, here is my update. Surgery was a little different than last time. I had a spinal (like before) but I could feel it and then they woke me up during the surgery saying that I had been "very restless and fighting the doctors". It was weird to be awake but they told me I already had my new hip and my surgeon was closing me up with staples. I couldn't feel anything but the anethseiologist asked me later if I could remember anything and I told him yes I could remember the spinal and our conversation when I was woken up. His face looked a little more that surprised and I'm thinking they forgot to give me the versa (drug that is supposed to make you forget everything. Anyway, 3 extra days in the hospital because of some nausea and vomiting and then some drop foot. Longer in rehab because of this but they seem to think it will resolve because I have quite a bit of movement now but still not complete range of motion. So, kind of weird but my incision pain is all gone and I am having some numbness in my ankle and heel on the operated side. Anxious to be back to 100% but I think many of us go through this to learn patience!
So getting around quite well with a walker and can do almost everything at home except carry things well, but that will come in time. Using the newer pain med. Nucynta and having good results if I keep up with it.
Anita, love seeing your videos you are doing great. So wonderful to have this forum, friends and family are the best but they don't always get what you are going through. I'll keep you updated. Even with these minor setbacks it is the BEST to have that bone on bone pain gone...new lease on life is my current motto.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Fantastic Dianemarie, I am sure all your kinks with your new shiny LTH will iron themselves out and you will be good to go - no bone on bone pain ....... Yippee
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi Dianemarie,

Nice to hear from you and know that you are back home with your new hip and feeling pretty good! Remember to keep both hands on the walker -- let someone else do the carrying stuff for now, or maybe use a little drawstring back pack if it's carrying something small/lightweight.

Glad your bone on bone pain is gone, I'm sure that's a relief!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Welcome to your last hip recovery, Diane!!! I'm so glad you are getting around okay. Slow and steady and patience are the watchwords now.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Diane,
The OR story freaked me out a little, so I can't begin to imagine what is was like for you. Yikes! Glad to hear that since then you are well on the road to recovery, and as Jamie said, Your last one! That must be a tremendous relief. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi everyone!
Yes, Anita, the story freaks me out too! I had an all day crying jag yesterday, very cathartic and cleansing and I think it had a lot to do with everything I had been through. I felt completely calm in the OR while awake but it was a strange feeling to say the least.
I am encouraged that some of the tingling and numbness seems to be getting a tiny bit better. Would love to hear from anyone who had some nerve issues and how they resolved. Or Josephine do you know about recovery from these issues? Today I am writing a gratitude list and doing everything I can to nurture myself during this time of healing. After all, it is a magical time of the year with all the good tidings. Take care.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Surgery was a little different than last time. I had a spinal (like before) but I could feel it and then they woke me up during the surgery saying that I had been "very restless and fighting the doctors".

I couldn't feel anything but the anethseiologist asked me later if I could remember anything and I told him yes I could remember the spinal and our conversation when I was woken up. His face looked a little more that surprised and I'm thinking they forgot to give me the versa (drug that is supposed to make you forget everything.
Whilst the restlessness is unusual but the bit about you being able to remember doesn't mean he forgot anything. It's not a separate drug, it's the side effect of the sedative itself. He wouldn't have forgotten anyway as he has an assistant who gets all his drugs ready so it's not just down to him.
 
Re: pain in non-surgery hip/leg

Hi dianemarie

I love the idea of your gratitude list... I think that is such a good activity to do.. I plan to do that myself.

Our surgeries were one day apart, mine was the 14 Nov.

Some days I think I am doing ok, other days I think I am being too lazy.. I guess I could write the lazy days down on my gratitude list as a luxury day... One day in the future I have to return to work, so need to enjoy these lazy days.:thumb:

Thanks for such a great idea :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom