TKR nausea week s after surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I was so so scared awake all night the night before but as soon as I got to the hospital I felt calm and just chilled and let them get on with it. Nearly 3 weeks now and it was not nearly as bad as I thought. Be thinking of you keep posting
 
I Know your anxiety. Everything will go well. Allow yourself to rest your mind on everything you don't have control over because you are gonna have a full plate of gettin better to deal with. Good Luck
 
I was the same way, so nervous and then the day before I strangely was so calm. I am three weeks out and already talking about when to do my other knee. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing.
 
Well.Idid it. Surgery was a piece of cake;I spent the night and went home next AM. Today was therapy and he was very gentle. I am sooooooo tired,so will rest now
KARYN
 
Welcome to the other side!
Congratulations! Rest sounds perfect! :thumb:


Thank you for checking in and letting us know you came through with flying colors!
All the best!
 
I hope things are going well for you. Tell the doctor and nursing staff if your pain isn't well controlled. It is best to get that under control before leaving the hospital. You are in my prayers.
 
How great!!!! Take thing easy now....and let us know how you're doing.

Here are some basic recovery articles from the BoneSmart Library to read:

First are the mantras ....

- Rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Read and reread every BoneSmartie mantra that Jamie sent to you.

Get as much rest/ sleep as you can.

Remember: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!
 
Congratulations, Lexismom! I hope you get some rest. Let us know how you are doing!
 
Yay! I am getting number 2 done on Wednesday. Had lefty done on 1/15. Only spent one night in the hospital last time. Going on 4 weeks and doing very well. My advice, ice, elevate, stay ahead of your pain meds, and do your PT! Welcome to the club!
 
Congratulations Karen, what a lovely post and very encouraging for those who are following in your footsteps. Take it very slowly, follow all the advice on here and take your pain meds on schedule and you won't go far wrong. Each day is a day nearer full recovery.
Congratulations on your new knee,
Toothfairy x
 
Karyn, I've been waiting for a post like this!! Yeah! You made it through the surgery and it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be! Was your pain managed in the hospital? I know you we're worried about that. I'm guessing they left your epidural in until morning and you didn't have much pain to speak of. Keep that ice machine full of small, frozen water bottles! They work much better than ice and you always have some in the freezer ready to swap out. Take it easy with the PT!
 
Sorry, wish I had happy writings on my progess, but do not. My actual surgery with Berger went great; no problems. Then I got home and the following happened:

Became delirous; did not know where I was; kept calling my daughter Hazel and yelling out crazy number sequences,

Severe abdominal cramps,diahrea, and some vomiting

Trouble breathing and standing without getting dizzy, and talking slurry

Put in hospital where I started having severe panic attacks where I am sure they could hear me screaming three floors down; I worked in a psych. hospital for many years and never thought I would be one of "those" people.

After ruling out stroke the thought I was overmedicated, that my ischemic colitis was bleeding again and I had double pneumia; was un hospital 6 days, now home on oxygen and relly my knee is the very least of my problems; I do have knee questions tho, but at this point too tired to write more.

Karyn
 
Oh, you poor thing! TKR is hard enough, without complications! I'm glad you are home, now and that awful part is behind you. Check in when you can - I'll be thinking of you.
 
Can't do a lot other than to say I'm thinking of you, hope everything sorts itself out quickly and you can concentrate on your knee recovery.
 
Have they figured out which meds you reacted to?

A friend's father remembers his first TKR like this: He was kidnapped and held hostage in a warehouse on the edge of town where he was in imminent danger of being killed at every moment. Well, the true story is a "helpful" nurse interpreted his agitation as inadequate pain control and was giving him 200mg of tramadol plus 20mg oxy every 4 hours, and when the daughter inquired what meds were being given her father, she was lied to by this nurse! His second TKR was medicated with tylenol only and his pain was adequately managed and no problems. Another friend, a doctor, had two heart valves replaced recently and went bezerk in CCU.

In any case, how horrible . . . Well if Berger's surgery for you was true to his reputation, then you have no need to worry. Just some ROM efforts a day should be enough while you focus on this iatrogenic apocalypse!! Well actually it wasn't really anyone's fault, just a run of dumb bad luck. I hope it changes soon. Thanks for posting. Keep in touch, Karyn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom