TKR nausea week s after surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear @Lexismom
We will be :angel:For a smooth recovery for you:console2:I hope everyday you get stronger.
Please keep us up- dated, when you are up to it. We care about all our members:friends:
This form truly is like family.
Take Care, feel better
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you my dear. That was terribly sweet of you. We do minister to a lot of people here!
 
Hi

I am doing a little better; the problem is I get so tired due to the pneumonia and of course sursergey.
Stomach problems gone for the most part/ I HATE therapy; will request a new one this week. Questions:

1. I know you are supposed to do the whole repeition of exercises (she put 15) 2-3 times a day; honestly is that really what yo all do. I do half the repitions 2-3 times a day when she is not here and of course the whoe set when she is.

2. ALso has this affected your marriage; we are very short with each other; when I was having panic attacks in the hospital, all I wanted was for him to spend the night; he refused saying he cannot sleep in hospitals; mind you I was screaming loud enough for the floor to hear. Luckily I had about 10 friends line up and say they would; I thibk this is where I lot of my hatred for him comes in; WHO can sleep well in a hospital; when I ket begging, he said, Nurse, is there a way to put her in retraints; I was just lying in bed and I know you only use restrainsts when one is a harm to self or others. I try to be grateful for my friends, but cry ecverytime I think of this.

LOVESTOREAD; you are far from a pest, how can anyone take genuine concern as annoyance; I rreally have just been really tired. I will PM you soon; us south siders have to stick together
 
Sorry to hear you are going through so many problems with your surgery and on the home front.
I hope there is some one you can talk to about all of this, and move forward as your knee heals. I am grateful you have such good friends.
 
I think my husband took a lot of my frustration, I was glad when he went to work and left me to my pain and weeping. It gets better, hang in there.
 
Karyn, I so wish things were going a little smoother for you! It sounds like you're not getting much support at home, and now is when you really need to have someone to rely on. I think some people just honestly don't know how to be caregivers/nurturers and end up screwing things up big time. Maybe this is what's going on with your husband? Also, some people have difficulty seeing someone they love in pain and distance themselves because they feel so helpless. You know you can count on all of us here for support, right? You also have my number...please call me some time. I gave you my work schedule, so you know when I'm available to pick up groceries, your daughter or just a cup of coffee! Also, call on that army of friends. They've offered to help, take them up on it! You know you would be there for them if they needed you!

Now, for your PT....absolutely if you don't like your therapist, find another one! You may find someone who others think is fabulous, but just doesn't agree with you. Believe me, I didn't always do as many reps as I was supposed to. I did what I felt up to. Sometimes I divided the total number of reps into a couple of smaller sessions. Don't let that stress you out!

Are you able to get out of the house yet? A short outing might be just what you need, especially after this crazy winter we've been experiencing. Remember, you are recovering from so many things: major surgery, pneumonia, panic attacks. My best advice to you is to be kind to yourself and give yourself time to heal!

Sending you hugs!
 
@Lexismom
Your body has been through a lot but each day each week will get better. Pneumonia and a TKR is a lot for a body so I might suggest to take PT at your pace.

When I was doing PT, I'd do what I could but if I was too tired or aching or whatever, I'd let my PT know that I wasn't able to complete all of the exercises.

She would change it to an easier version of the same exercise, or we'd drop that one and do another, or even cut back on them til I felt better. She was great in working with me and adapting as needed.

Hope that is helpful!
 
Oh Lexismom what an ordeal! I hope things are rapidly improving and the knee continues to do well. I am so sorry I haven't checked in on this forum more often, it was such a great support to me with both knees. I will be sending positive thoughts your way! And think spring! (Can't hurt, might help right? :SUNsmile:)

Heidi
 
My personal opinion is doing some exercises a couple of times a day is better than all at one sitting. Also my PTs always said 2x day was fine.
 
Hi:

Feeling a bit better; I can walk around with a cane for about 20 feet (probably more if I tried) I know nothing about my ROM or extension; my therapist said,don't worry about it, it is good enough. I have a dr. appt. in a few days to see about the pneumonia; my O2 level is in the low 90's and when I do the breathing machine it goes to 1500; if anyone know if that is good or bad, let me know. I know it is better, as in the hospital it was in the 80,s and could barely get to 1000.

Weird new problem; for the past 3 nights and almost exactly the same time, I get severe chills, leg pains and a fever of over 100; after about 30min. and a Tylenol, all the above go away, the weirdest part it that it is always between 7 and 7:30 Thinking of you all
 
Hi @Lexismom I just read your posts I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time. Just want you to know that we all care about you in this forum and that you are not alone but among friends and like minded people who don't all sail through the recovery process. So I just want to wish yOu luck and a speedy recovery...you deserve it after all this x x x x x x
 
Glad you're feeling a little better Karyn! How strange about your evening pain…wish I had an answer for you. As your therapist said, your ROM is good enough right now. You need to get your strength back before you can do any more. You sure have had a rough go of it…hope you're not having second thoughts about having it done, especially since you cancelled your original surgery and had to wait several months for this one. I promise you it will get better! Again today at the grocery store, I marveled at how I could shop pain free. Of course I do this every week and go home and tell me husband. I think he's getting tired of me saying it. :) He doesn't get how big a deal this is to me. You have to have gone through the pain of bone-on-bone arthritis for several years and get through the surgeries and recoveries to "get it." Hang in there my friend….and my offer of help still stands!
 
Wow @Lexismom, you have had quite the ordeal. As a surgeon, when patients have other issues raise their head that are related, but not directly related to surgery, it is quite disconcerting for all: the patient, the family, the nurses, the doctors.
Ultimately, most recover just fine, it just puts one back a bit form a time perspective. Think of yourself as being 3 days post op rather than 3 weeks. It will help your mindset in its recovery.
The other issue is that health issues are exceedingly stressful to relationships. Many reasons exist as to why, but, it will take some work to get through it. You will do great, I feel for you
Braindoc
 
Thanks braindoc, I have an appointment with my OS tomorrow, I just hope he factors in that I am not doing as well as maybe I should due to setbacks, YOu just had yours; how are you feeling.
 
I feel terrible knowing what you have been going through when I haven't even checked in on the forum. My husband and I have been "snowbirding" - left the Chicago area about Dec. 15th, and spending the winter in the desert southwest. We picked a great winter to miss!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better now - what a horrible time you have had. I will be returning to Homewood sometime around the end of this month or beginning of April depending if the snow has melted by then, and I would love to get together with you.

What therapy are you going to for your knee, or are you having to wait til the other problems get better? I loved my therapy at Accelerated, but then I also had a pretty easy recovery from my TKR. I don't even think about my knee any more; I'm just able to move easily and without pain, and that's wonderful. I hope it will soon be so with you as well.

Keep posting, and I will try to be better at checking in on the forum. It does get better.
 
Karyn, I hope things went ok for you at the doctor's today. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. Maybe when Brit gets back we can get together?? Let's plan something!
 
SO GLAD to hear from you; I was worried something happened' Still not doing well; haed a 103 fever last night and almost went to ER. The knee is gret ; I am seeing Tiffany and Chris (her intern) and ot has been fine' I pn;y went once. I still the double pneumonia and the diverticulitis and am on my second round of anti-biotics for both. I am so tired half the time or my stomach is cramping it is such a chore to do my exercise at home. You are so lucky to be out of Homewood; cdonstant snow; I so hope you and you hubby have a relaxing time which you both deserve. Call me when you get back (you still have my number?)

Karyn
 
Hi Lexismom - so sorry to hear about your ordeal - you have had such a rough time

If you are feverish and sick I would not push the knee exercises too much but just do gentle heel slides etc to keep the knee moving once or twice a day plus a little walking in the house - your body needs to rest now. When your body is feeling stronger you can do more

Take care xxx :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom