THR I'm on the other side!!

Update. Now 17 months post new hip . YEA! Jogging 11 min miles of 30 a week now. Slow is the new normal. Just a positive post here to say everyone, it gets better. But yes 1 year plus is normal to feel back to all healed. Crazy but no need to rush the process.

@newguy Great update - thanks for checking in! Your experience will give many of our members encouragement. Well done!

Thanks for updating. You're an inspiration.
I hope you have a great Spring and Summer! :SUNsmile:
@newguy

Good to hear positive news and hope for us all for a better future. I know we are all impatient to feel back to normal but it’s good to hear that eventually there’s a chance that it might actually happen. :flwrysmile:

Hi New Guy,

WOW jogging ? I used to love to run, but have not been able to do it for many years now. Might I ask did your doctor clear you to jog ? For me I thought I would never run again, ( maybe the best I could do is the elliptical machine .)

Hi New Guy,

WOW jogging ? I used to love to run, but have not been able to do it for many years now. Might I ask did your doctor clear you to jog ? For me I thought I would never run again, ( maybe the best I could do is the elliptical machine .)
I met with surgeon a month ago for my 1 year check up. He was basically hey you really do not need to run anymore. This was before and right after my surgery. I was not really thinking of running much again. I have been a runner for 55+ years. At the appointment last month he said lets take a look with an x ray. Said no wear at all in the cup. Everything looks great, keep doing what I am doing , which was 3 to 5 miles of slow jogging and walking another 2 to 4 miles a day. Said hey come in again at 2 years will take another picture because he said I know you are going to do some jogging. I told him fast running is done, heck 11 min miles are just fine. He said go for it and keep exercising . It is better to move as we age. So he gave me a positive response to jogging. As a runner for so many years he knows that I am at a good space mentally and physically. Understands that I UNDERSTAND the limitations of what I will do with my jogging going forward. Running fast is a no no, and I don't want to anymore. I like my new hip !!

Doctors "clearing" you to run have nothing to do with anything. Obviously @Jason11 is aware of the wear and tear of running/jogging on our factory hips and also these store bought parts. If you're willing to pays your money you gets to take your chances. We can do anything we are willing to accept the responsibility for, along with our health insurance which seems to make us braver.

Jogging 11 min miles of 30 a week now.

This is so exciting. Am I misreading or are you saying you’re doing 30 miles a week?! Either way it’s fantastic. 11 min miles is a fine pace. So good for the bones and the heart. This is giving me hope! Happy you checked in.

Doctors "clearing" you to run have nothing to do with anything. Obviously @Jason11 is aware of the wear and tear of running/jogging on our factory hips and also these store bought parts. If you're willing to pays your money you gets to take your chances. We can do anything we are willing to accept the responsibility for, along with our health insurance which seems to make us braver.
Oh hey listen I’m careful. My stride and actual force on my new hip is minimal. I only raise my leg while jogging a couple of inches higher than walking . I will never push it . What I am doing is just getting walking / jogging/ shuffling to 11-12 min a mile instead of 15-16 min miles . The fact that my running mechanics have been great over 50+ years of running is a help . I do not want to have another surgery.

This is so exciting. Am I misreading or are you saying you’re doing 30 miles a week?! Either way it’s fantastic. 11 min miles is a fine pace. So good for the bones and the heart. This is giving me hope! Happy you checked in.
Yea about 30 and 11-12 min miles . But more like easy easy strides. Never fast never adding high stress to my hip . More like cool down workouts .

Oh hey listen I’m careful. My stride and actual force on my new hip is minimal. I only raise my leg while jogging a couple of inches higher than walking . I will never push it . What I am doing is just getting walking / jogging/ shuffling to 11-12 min a mile instead of 15-16 min miles . The fact that my running mechanics have been great over 50+ years of running is a help . I do not want to have another surgery.
I get that which is why I said YOU were aware of what wear and tear jogging/running would put on a hip. People think that the doctor has some magical spell they cast when they "clear" someone to run.

I get that which is why I said YOU were aware of what wear and tear jogging/running would put on a hip. People think that the doctor has some magical spell they cast when they "clear" someone to run.
Hey I have gotten all kinds of trouble when I say that on a few hip replacement running forums;)))

Heck I moved a sofa with my brother in law today . That was more of a problem than my slow jogging.:)))

Take it easy, tiger :wink:
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@newguy

Yea about 30 and 11-12 min miles . But more like easy easy strides. Never fast never adding high stress to my hip . More like cool down workouts .
Fantastic to hear this. I'm not a huge runner (14 miles a week was probably the best I ever did consistently for more than a few weeks at a time), but I have been hoping I will be able to get some more miles under my belt and get that amazing post-run embodied feeling again one of these days! You're helping that hope feel more possible for me!

Hey all, A new month and now 20+ months past LHR, It's so good, but man I am now a slow runner. Getting about 30-35 ,11 min miles a day and walking another mile or 2. Newbies, don't rush anything, time heals.

@newguy - guess what. I'm also a slow runner, but a long-distance runner. I've had my new hip for 8 years and have done a few marathons and half-marathons ever since, and I'm just fine - didn't wear out my hip.

Last year I did the Frankfurt Marathon in 5 1/2 hours, and last weekend, I did a half-marathon in a nearby forest in 2 hours 20 minutes. I will also participate in the traditional AIDS run at Frankfurt next week (yes, it's a charity run for AIDS help, 10 kms), and next October in Frankfurt marathon again (maybe this time a bit faster than last year).
Keep up the good work. Exercise is good for your bones and muscles.

My hip surgeon actually encouraged me to exercise for osteoporosis prevention.

Hey I hope everyone is doing well . Hush but I jogged 10 miles yesterday:)) 7 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. 22 months PO:))). But now a good week off just had a basal cell skin cancer removed from my right lower shin . Just back from MOHS surgery. Seems 1 layer and then once around . No stiches so just bandage and heal from the lower layers of skin . Fun times all stay outta the sun!!!HA

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom