Guest viewing is limited

THR Counting My Blessings

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope today is a good one! :SUNsmile:
@Debru4
 
Thanks, @Layla! Things are continuing to go well! Nice to have the first month behind me. Today I went to a gathering of some folks from my high school graduating class.The theme was "The class of 1972 turns 72". It was great fun! We were all amused by the discussions about which body parts we'd had replaced, or operated on---the price we pay for being our age and having led such full active lives. Most people reported favorable outcomes which was encouraging!

I had a question about the wound closure used on my leg. It was the Sylke fabric closure (not stitches, staples, or the zip closure). The outer dressing wasn't removed for 3 weeks, as opposed to the first hip surgery zipper one in 2018 coming off sooner. Once the outer dressing came off, the Sylke closure was still on and was supposed to fall off on its own, which it did a few days ago. The literature said any adhesive remaining should come off with soap and water--no scrubbing, but I have a LOT remaining, and soap and water are doing nothing to it. It's kind of sticky/bumpy and pretty dirty looking. Should I just leave it as is and hope it rubs off eventually or is there a safe product I can use on it, that close to the incision? The incision looks great except for about a one inch part that is a bit red and scabbed. I definitely don't want to irritate it further and that is where a lot of the adhesive is concentrated, but I don't like that dirty looking area near the incision either. Should I just ignore it for now or ?????
 
72/72 what a great story @Debru4 I love that. Well done for the first month, a great milestone.
Re the scar it’s probably best to check with your team, I have no experience of this fabric. An in-person visit is probably best unless someone can take good pictures.
I had lots of very neat glue on my revised knee and the top half of the incision was brilliant and healed clean really quickly but the bottom half stayed gluey and scabby for weeks and weeks and I didn’t touch it at all because of the potential risk of inviting infection; then one day the physio said look it’s all healed together tight underneath so you can clean it off now so I did and it was about at seven weeks.
Please do keep us updated.
 
Thanks @Legseleven. The night I posted I had started to wonder about the incision, and as things often go, I woke the next morning and all of the redness was gone. Go figure---kind of like when you take your kids (or your pet) to the doctor because they are sick, and when you get there they seem perfectly well. :heehee:

It's still pink where the new skin is around the incision, and there still is that scabby patch that I meantioned, but it sounds like you had something similar that took a few weeks to resolve. I think I'm likely just being impatient, as it's only been a month. The fact that so far this recovery is going so well is contributing to that.

However, I know that I am one misstep, fall, or overdoing episode away from things having a different outcome, so I need to keep that in mind and be more patient. Recovery is such an uneven experience and each surgery is so different. In May of 2025 I had what should have been a very simple tendon release for a trigger finger. It ended up being a bit of a mess, taking me 5 months of intensive PT to get some function back instead of the less than a month it typically takes. :gaah: Mostly I'm just grateful and relieved to have the hip replacement surgery completed!
 
Today I went to a gathering of some folks from my high school graduating class.The theme was "The class of 1972 turns 72". It was great fun!
Love these get togethers! I've had a few myself, and it's always a good time.
The literature said any adhesive remaining should come off with soap and water--no scrubbing, but I have a LOT remaining, and soap and water are doing nothing to it. It's kind of sticky/bumpy and pretty dirty looking.
I am not sure that I had the same type of residue, but it sounds familiar and what I found helped was to with clean hands I'd smear soap over the area and turn that hip away from the shower stream, letting it sit for a time with the hope it softened the adhesive a bit. I'd wash my hair and the rest of my body before rinsing soap off of the area, trying to leave the incision area for last. I didn't pick at the residue, but kind of "gently" scratched at any areas that weren't super close to the incision and got rid of some it that way. Anything super close to the incision, I just let wear away through subsequent showers. It is annoying though, you just want it gone.

Sounds like you're doing very well in this recovery. I'm happy for you! Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
 
@Debru4 I hope you have as much fun at your '72 turns 72 as I had at my '65 turns 65! Over on my very old recovery thread (link in my signature) towards the end of it is an account of my adventures at that marvelous weekend ... with some pictures too. That saga starts on page 10 of my thread.:egypdance:

Yup at first the concerns about falling are very real and one does need to be cautious for a bit. I guess I've been lucky - since having my hips replaced I've only had one fall -- and that was within this past year! And as I am naturally low to the ground I didn't fall very far and landed on soft mulch. So no harm done though I did have to yell for my housemate to come give me a handup -- no solid things to grab onto near by. And I did slip in to the ODIC (Over Did It Club) for a bit early on in my hip recovery journey but quickly learned my lesson to avoid doing that.

It's great to hear that the wonky looking area near your incision has cleared up! And yes I get the bit about taking kids to the doctor- :heehee:

Blessings and fun times to you!
 
Last edited:
Hi Debru,
We haven't heard from you in a couple of weeks. Wondering how your recovery is going?
Let us know when you have the time. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Debru4
 
Greetings @Layla,
I'm continuing to do well and often forget I've even had the surgery --of course I am taking things slowly in terms of how far I walk, not carrying heavy things, and really watching when I go up and down the stairs. I'm sure when I increase those things, I'll become more aware that I had the surgery! The last little piece of my scar scab finally fell off----almost 7 weeks after my surgery and 3 weeks after the Sylke dressing had come off! I'm not sure if it was a matter of the location, depth, or inner stitching that took that last inch so much longer to heal. I have been waiting eagerly for that part to heal so that I can begin taking baths again! They are my go to for relaxing and going 2 months only being able to shower really has been hard!!

I'm feeling some tugging now around the scar and in my groin area that make me think I'm dealing with adhesions. When I met with the PA at my 3 week check she said not to put anything on the incision or work with it at all until I'd seen the surgeon. That will be this coming Thursday---8 weeks after my surgery. For my last hip replacement I saw the actual surgeon at 10 days and at 6 weeks.. The zip closure came off at 10 days and once things looked clear he told me to begin some light massage around the incision. I'm hoping on Thursday that the X-ray looks as good as I'm feeling, and that I can begin some light massage. Thanks for checking in. It's nice to have a chance to do some processing about where I am now, with people who can relate. :thankyou:Have a great week! Debbie
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom