Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hubby's new knee

Your journaling @Susie-Q is excellent and to me it illustrates the usual recovery path of a TKR. Almost everyone thinks they can do better, stop pills sooner, do more PT, or simply walk more, and no matter however many times we explain the patience angle and point out that the knee remains in charge - it’s human nature to try to be the one to do better, or beat this.
Today I’m on the patience pills today after mowing the lawn yesterday and actually I’m fine, yes I can feel it a little more, but not ODIC, so I’ve adjusted my day accordingly, and icing as I type this. I’ve just reduced my walks a little for today.
Maybe this chart will help him to use his patience muscle because it’s still very early days for this new knee. The more he pushes it. The longer it’ll take.
You’re doing amazing and thank you for sharing.

[Bonesmart.org] Hubby's new knee
Thank you for posting this!!! I refer to this a lot in my brain but when it comes time to find it quickly, I can't. I will definitely share with hubby. #2 is the one that sticks with me the most. It takes TIME for those bones to heal!! TIME, TIME, TIME and there's no rushing it!!! Thanks again! I'm printing that chart out right now to give to him for reference. :wink:
 
I’m so glad to hear how well your hubby is doing, even though he is a bit impatient. It’s certainly a good thing that you’re there to guide him and keep him from overdoing it too much. You are a real “professional” at recovery and he is lucky to have you.

On that long trip, do make sure he (and you) get up and walk the aisle every hour or so along with wearing the compression socks. Also, be sure to pack some zip lock bags in case you need to use them for quick ice packs. Just double bag the ice and they actually work very well.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Mr Susie-Q! :wink:
You two just hit a noteworthy milestone and hubby has done so well! Bravo! :yahoo:
I hope you both have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Susie-Q
 
Do you mean use ziplock bags for getting ice on the airplane? Will the flight attendant give us ice for this purpose? Or should we bring those instant ice packs that you break and shake?

Just a quick update, Hubby is driving himself to PT now, which is great. He's down to 1 oxy only in the evening before bed. He's found Sennacot (sp) instead of the tea, which he hates the taste of. (I thought it tasted fine but everyone is different). He's measuring around 115 but can tell that he loses that when he works his knee stretching it a lot and causing swelling. I've told him 1000 times that this recovery is not linear. There's lots of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. He respects his 2 women PTs, which is great, but it gets frustrating when he listens to them over me sometimes. They are following their protocol and have never had a knee replacement before. They push and push the view that you only have so much time to get that range of motion and I have to mention that, well, it's amazing that I improved even after this "deadline". They say that everyone develops scar tissue and that it's important to break that up as you go to get that range of motion. The paperwork threatens the dreaded MUA, which he mentioned to me as if I didn't know this. Anyway, he's way ahead of schedule so there's no worry about him getting range of motion, he's already there and then some for 4 weeks post op. It's just the mantra that continues to get peddled to everyone to scare them that annoys me.

He does understand that he doesn't need to do 2-3 sets of exercises a day. He's lucky if he only does one. Funny how he follows his PTs religiously but only when it "suits" him. :heehee: Also, I had to remind him that icing is not just for after you've done exercises or PT. I don't know where his mind went on this. You can ice anytime as long as you want!

I've got to run out the door. Maybe more later!
 
I've told him 1000 times that this recovery is not linear
And it lasts longer than a month. :heehee: He's done phenomenally well in this short period of time. Some may be envious.
It's just the mantra that continues to get peddled to everyone to scare them that annoys me.
Yes! So annoying. :gaah:
 
Or should we bring those instant ice packs that you break and shake?
I took these on a flight when I had some medication that needed to be kept cold. There wasn't a problem.
 
5-1/2 weeks Post-Op

Well, hubby is getting tired of sitting on his butt and is working on 2 new projects, with help from me of course. One is painting our son's old room (to be the new guest room) and the other is buying more mulch for the front yard. I've given him lots of warnings to take it easy and go slow and for the most part he's doing that. The problem is this adds more to my list as he's not able to do everything he would normally do. I had to wipe down all 5 walls in the bedroom (including the ceiling) with a rag and spic-n-span, while he patched holes and removed switch/plug plates. He painted two big swaths on the wall so we could pick a color. Paint is bought but waiting to be done because of the other project, which is outside.

When we went to Lowes to buy the paint we also took two cars and loaded up on bags of bark/mulch. Yes, he's taking it easy but he's still lifting bags and putting them on a cart and then into his car. I did as much or more to lighten the load for him. We took them out to our cars and loaded them in. I thought it was very sweet that this random man in a beautifully restored old truck, offered me help in the parking lot. I said I was doing fine and thank you anyway since I was on my last bag. He then offered the same to hubby who was loading his car in the handicapped spot a few stalls over. :heehee: Hubby thanked him and then pointed out that I was his wife and that we were splitting the labor involved because we needed 2 cars to load 14 bags of mulch. Then when we got home I caught him loading them into a wheelbarrow and placing them in the garden beds (to be opened and spread around later). Ugh! I did the rest of them and out of my car. My shoulders are still sore! Anyway, that was it for the day. Hubby went inside and rested/iced/took a nap. He is being careful but I often feel like he's doing too much. Being that his recovery is way better than mine, I guess my view of this is tainted. I keep thinking there's no way I could have done this at the same recover stage.

Yesterday was more prepping out in the yard to lay the subsequent mulch. The dirt that's against the garden edging has to be dug down with a spade all around so when the bark is spread, it doesn't run out onto the grass and it sort of "mounds up" into the garden. All these details hubby wants for it to look right. I used a spade to do the digging, he used a hoe to clear it away. I moved a couple of plants that needed moving and pulled weeds. We took lots of breaks and hubby seems to feel fine. He actually cancelled PT on Friday because he knew he was going to be doing all this work and didn't need PT on top of it. He says he's feeling better all the time. Has more balance than he had 1-2 weeks ago and feels stronger. I keep waiting for his big ODIC membership to kick in but so far it hasn't. The problem is, I need to help him with a lot of this stuff that he would normally do himself. This is on top of all of my other chores that are invisible to him: laundry, dishes, walking the dog every day, feeding the animals, cat littler box, patio pot watering, meal planning, cooking, housework in general. I have insisted that we do these other projects at a slower pace than he's used to and so far, he's fine with that. He knows he has to go slow. I just wish he had a greater appreciation for all the things I do around here that he ignores. Ok, pity party over. Suffice it to say, he's doing very well and continues to improve every day. I think his bend is up to 157. He works on stretching every day and lots of walking while out shopping himself. (although he isn't interesting in finding out when his pt thinks he can start walking the dog).

Our daughter left for Walla Walla yesterday morning. We are true empty nesters now! Our son came by yesterday and stayed into the late evening to work on some computer server issues. He was supposed to come and help me with opening bags of mulch and spreading it but he didn't arrive until later in the afternoon after we'd already quit for the day. Son did help with trimming since I had also mowed the lawn yesterday. So today will probably be mulch spreading day. We'll see how far I/we get. I am glad that hubby knew to quit early yesterday. Normally he'd keep going until it was finished. He knows he can't do that yet.

Time to walk the dog! I hope everyone is having a great day!
 
I forgot to add, he's also had a few bouts of stiffness in the past week or two. Prior to the latest outdoor project from the last 2 days. This is a sign of overworking but also perfectly normal. The fatigue is still hitting hard some days too. He's back to staying up late and sleeping late (his usual schedule, our son is the same way). There are days where he's very sleepy and will sleep VERY late, sometimes past noon. Also days where he's wiped out by early evening (if he's been up earlier than normal) and he'll go back in the bedroom for a big nap. Just reporting that the energy drain is still going on. Totally normal, of course! (hey, I like a little 30 min afternoon nap on occasion myself! :wink:)

He's also having a bit of constipation even though he's not taking oxy anymore. He stopped 4-5 days ago. The only meds he's on for his knee are Celebrex and Tylenol. He's still taking Senocot sometimes twice a day. He actually had to resort to drinking some of the Smooth Move tea yesterday. That did the trick, as it usually does! This has possibly caused a bit of diverticulitis to crop up, which he's had before. He felt that familiar lower abdominal pain so he switched to a lower fiber diet for a few days. The pain seems to be subsiding.
 
I’m exhausted reading your post, how industrious you are. Please do not risk yourself with all this physical work, it’s not worth it.
He is being careful but I often feel like he's doing too much.
His knee, his choice. It’s hard watching someone push the limits, while knowing what might happen.

I just wish he had a greater appreciation for all the things I do around here that he ignores.
I understand this, the only way to be noticed over things like this is to stop doing them for a while and cope with the boat rocking that follows.


There are days where he's very sleepy and will sleep VERY late, sometimes past noon. Also days where he's wiped out by early evening (if he's been up earlier than normal) and he'll go back in the bedroom for a big nap. Just reporting that the energy drain is still going on. Totally normal, of course! (hey, I like a little 30 min afternoon nap on occasion myself! :wink:)
I was just thinking how exhausted you must be, so yes definitely grab a nap now and then and say so.
a few bouts of stiffness in the past week or two
Likely from the internal swelling and as you know this will take longer to subside the more he pushes himself.


although he isn't interesting in finding out when his pt thinks he can start walking the dog).
How about you stop walking the dog and absent yourself now and then so he has too. It sounds like you’re a complete saint and dare I suggest being taken advantage of? Please forgive me if I’m wrong, it’s just what I’m reading.
Big hugs and please look after you too.
PS Celebrex slows my guts down too.
 
Crumbs! Like @Legseleven I am exhausted just reading these posts. I couldn't do half of this even nearly 4 years out. Don't push yourself too hard and don't cover too much for him. How about a day off for you ( going to a gallery/ shopping/ visiting a friend)? If he can do all this, he doesn't need looking after constantly. He would then see what you fo and have to deal with it.
 
Oh my goodness, you are working yourself half to death! Please try and slow down or I'm afraid you'll cause yourself some problems. Our bodies aren't meant to go 150% like it sounds like you are doing. I agree with EalingGran, stop doing some of your normal duties and ask him to do them. He can wash dishes, cook, do housework, and clean litter boxes! You are helping him do his normal chores, so ask him to help you do yours!
 
Ugh…the whole mulch saga has me worried for him, Susie-Q.
The Spring before last, fourteen months ago, I got too aggressive with picking up bags of mulch, hauling and spreading it. My back went out and it took almost two weeks to resolve. I would hate to see him hurt himself in that way as he's just regaining strength...and doing so well!

Because he is feeling so good, he's likely tempted to do more than his knee may be ready for. Five and a half weeks is still very early even when everything feels great. Hopefully you can continue to encourage him to slow down and let his body catch up with how good he feels, giving the new knee the best chance to heal properly.

I'm sorry you're stuck with carrying your normal household responsibilities in addition to projects he's engaging in to keep from being bored. It would be sad to see you exhaust yourself because hubs is impatient to get back to normal. It would be nice if you can get him to agree that he'll avoid the heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, kneeling, climbing for now and take his healing journey at a slower pace for his sake as well as yours.
Good luck trying to rein him in. :wink:
@Susie-Q
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom