Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side!!

My first hip replacement will be 4 years old and looks excellent on the X-rays taken before the second hip was done last month. I have also run on mine, and intend to run on the new one. Modern implants are excellent and I have encountered a lot less resistance to the idea of running on them this time than I did first time around. First time around, the surgeon was ok with the idea (he was a tri-athlete) but the anaesthetist and physiotherapist were wary. This time the physiotherapist sees it as a mission to strengthen the muscles and tendons around the replaced hip and get me running. Both of mine are uncemented, which seems to be desirable for higher impact activity. I was lucky to get them done privately as the NHS in the UK prefers cement for my age group because the implant is instantly solid which helps get people out of hospital quickly.
 
@newguy . Lovely! So you're a runner, too. Yes indeed, these cups don't wear out. Mine is ceramic. And the stem is titanium. My new hip will last longer than me.

Keep on running. It's so much fun!
 
Hey all, Wow been a year since I have posted on here. I have jogged another 2400 miles this past year. Things are still great. I am still stupid slow I average 10,11, 12 min. miles and I am now 70 Years old. How did that happen. So now 4 and a half years post op, still no issues with my real hip I was born with and the replacement is going strong. Cool beans all. If you have just had surgery heal and then keep moving!!! Enjoy!!
 
Always a pleasure to hear from you, newguy! Congrats on turning 70 this year and still going strong!
I can't believe its been 4.5 years already. Thanks for stopping by and for your words of support to others.
Have a great Summer and second half of 2026!
@newguy
 
Hi @newguy. A pleasure to hear from you, also for me! We have a lot in common (cool). I also jog long distances - slow though this may be - and I'll be seventy this year. And my other hip, the one I was born with still doesn't need replacing. My artificial hip is doing fine - I've had it for 11 years now. Enjoy your jogging.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom