Guest viewing is limited

TKR 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.

Hi Readabook,
I'm sorry you're dealing with the aftermath of that food intolerance, it sounds miserable, I'm also sorry you're feeling like you have to defend your knee or your recovery process. Everyone's situation is different, so no one here knows exactly what your knee is dealing with. At 21 months post op, if you're still dealing with ongoing issues while continuing to engage in physically demanding activity, like some of what you've shared, it's easy to wonder whether your knee is getting enough opportunity to recover. Sometimes doing what we feel we have to do can also keep an irritated knee from settling down. I hope you don't take advice as a critique. Most of us are just sharing what we think may help, or what worked for us. Ultimately, you know your circumstances best and it's your choice how you manage them. I recall you mentioned you don't like the chair elevator, but I wonder if little things like using it half the time may help. Also wondering if there was valet parking at the med center, or a wheelchair and wheelchair assistance, where a staff member or volunteer pushes you through long hallways to the department you need to get to. I understand you can do these things yourself, but maybe taking advantage of some of these things will give your knee more time to recover. Just thoughts, so please don't take offense. We're only trying to help out of care and concern. I hope you have a good night and week!
@Readabook
 
@Layla I didn't mean defend from this group!!!!! Sorry if it sounded like that! No- the people in my world. The people who are "perfect" at 8 weeks etc.
This group is a sanctuary.
 
Whew! Thank goodness! I obviously misunderstood you.
I am sorry you feel the need to defend your knees performance to anyone. You really don't owe anyone a defense if they're sharing unsolicited opinions about what you should or shouldn't be doing at any given point on your healing journey. At the end of the day, your recovery is yours and you get to decide what feels right for you. Many people forget how long it actually took them to be fully healed, or exaggerate making it seem they had a miraculous recovery. Shame on anyone who does that if they know your recovery has been more of a challenge.
There are members who have shared they've made progress into their second and even third years post op. So don't lose the hope of brighter days ahead. :SUNsmile:
 
@Readabook I haven't had a knee done but I had a similar experience with my hip. The "why aren't you back to everything" routine is dis-heartening. Just keep advocating for yourself because you do know what your body needs to do and avoid. "No" is a complete sentence and doesn't need any justification. I came to this forum often just like you because you are heard here and we totally understand. Hang in there. Keep us posted.
 
The PA told me that my ligaments were a bit loose and there is a line between too loose and too tight- so the looseness might cause more tendinitis
This is exactly my position too and your PA has summed it up. I have definite tendinitis. It showed up on X rays at 2 years post op as some calcification/ enthesopathy. Interestingly it was present in both knees although only my surgical knee gets sore at times.
The only way to help, is once the acute sprain settles, to try to gradually build up the glutes and quads with something relatively gentle like pilates. I avoid yoga now as it just aggravates things.
am just really tired of defending my knee to others who critique my process. I
Other people can be really irritating. Explain carefully but simply what is happening and why to the ones you care about, and ignore the rest.
Most people have a very simplistic view of joint surgery and think it is like carpentry and once it is fixed you are fine. Just say that the knee is a much more complex joint than the hip- which is a simple ball and socket. It is supported by a lot of complicated ligaments, tendons and muscles. There can still be ongoing damage and problems with these even after successful knee surgery.
 
I usually try to figure out the 'why' are they asking the question. How long my recovery takes means nothing to them so why are they concerned? When I finally ask that question my "friend" said she thought I wanted to talk about my recovery!! I just wanted the comments to stop!! I just figure its what people say when they don't know what else to say. So whenever someone comments to you, just give them an answer back - I'm listening to my body. That should be enough.

You've got this, don't let others upset you.
 
So whenever someone comments to you, just give them an answer back - I'm listening to my body. That should be enough.
I second this absolutely and if they criticise your progress or you feel personally attacked. Simply reply “thank you for sharing that”, and nothing else.
All the best.
 
I am just really tired of defending my knee to others who critique my process.
Boy, did I hate that, too. No one who hasn't had a knee replacement with problems understands what all is involved. Tell them to go to FB and watch a live TKR. Their tune will change!
 
@EalingGran Thank-you!! And we have those loose joints!!! I have much the same msk system issues as you. I came to surgery cause my femoral condyle broke and no surgeon noticed on xray til the last one who said "you have NO choice!". And osteoporosis. Between set backs, caregiving and life I have not had a chance to look into your pilates person. But I do remember. I actually have an appt in September with a private PT and body worker who is supposed to be very gentle, educational and wise. I just read that my balancing could have been a bit much and shin and foot all suffering. I am not an athlete. But I always push myself because the situation calls for it. I am that person in my family and I hate to say 'I can't". My parents and daughter were inconvienced (sp) by my TKR and I am just trying to keep up. Oh well. We each are unique.

Yes, I had lots of setbacks, when I thought I should be able to do stuff by that time. But clearly after TKR there is still a root cause issue of how the hold thing happened in the first place. And even with the new knee those issues are still there. I’ve completely backed off and am getting a little relief from the pain and swelling but and not active at all yet. I was, and I think it kind of becomes a build up of wear and tear on your knee when the rest of your muscles aren’t working to properly support that knee. I’m also now worried about my other knee. So I’m suggesting again to look at those videos I mentioned to see if they might be helpful.

In
 
my update- i think I mentioned starting estrogen thx in August, irritating my tkr caring for my mom, then food intolerance. Well- I had every lab test cause i was flummoxed by my gut upste and worried I might be contagious. Also my knee and shin and now my back are so inflamed.
I was bummed cause i was also hoping the estrogen would be be helpful. Gut is finally settling, knee is still ticked and I see a back doctor tomorrow cause low back is in spasms as is piriformis. BUT I found out that between doc and pharmacy they got the percentages on my estrogen twice as high as it should be which started all of the anxiety and discomfort and worry,'So movign on to a different doc in time. Now I have to get all things to settle. September was rough.
 
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I wish you luck with your appointment tomorrow and hope the physician is able to help you. Really unfortunate and scary when you can't trust the pharmacist to fill a prescription accurately. I'm sure you'll be happy to say good bye to September. May October be a better month for you. :thumb:
@Readabook
 
Well... getting an SI injection in back tomorrow- I am slightly better and am tempted to cancel, but maybe this will help push me to improvement.
I saw a new knee ortho doc on Friday. He was the nicest guy. Showed me my xrays and said implant was good. Had nothing to say about my tibialis shin strain. However he tested my strength and straightness and ow- then next two days after were so painful. A new unneeded sprain. I sent a note thru portal and his helper said "Wow you you are still uncomfortable???" And "take meloxicam" which I had said I can't take. Frustrated and just trying to breathe!!
 
I am sorry to hear this. Is there any painkiller you can tolerate? Are you still icing regularly.
I iced for months and still have my Cryocuff in the basement. If I got a sprain I would bring it out and use it regularly.
Good luck with your back.
 
Back
Top Bottom