Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Regarding compression stockings, I have been wearing them due to severe varicose veins and some mild lymphatic issues, for 10 to 15 years.
I wear thigh high, Jobst or equivalent brand, and very tight, 30 to 40 mg of mercury. And last year I decided to get custom compression stockings which are even tighter yet.
I do wear the compression stockings now also and they make my legs feel much better. When I get up in the morning, then shower or clean up, I can hardly wait to get those stockings on since they make my legs feel less heavy and swollen.
Yes they are a bear to get on, but I have found a sleeve made of parachute material that I use regularly every day and it does help to get the stockings on the foot and over the heel.
I can't imagine going even a few hours without them since they help so much. I really recommend them. I wear them every day all day.
My insurance pays for them after I hit my deductible thank goodness. They can cost $150 a pair, and the compression stockings are more like $900 a pair which is absolutely crazy.
 
I kind of skimmed the article you sent about any problems with instability and deformities and needing revisions. I think in my case, I didn't have a terrible deformity to begin with. It was a much less varus deformity than my first knee which came out straight right from the start.
I also think my surgeon just didn't pay attention to that specific detail somehow of getting the knee straight. I did not have instability or ligament problems or anything bad to start with that he would have had to alter his normal way of doing things.
But yes, there are cases such as this and maybe you are one of them, where there are more options for mistakes and problems due to predisposing factors.
 
@kayow11 I think I will wear my compression stockings for my upcoming flight. They are the ones I got in the hospital. I do have a Rx compression sleeve for my arm I received following my mastectomy 10 years ago. Fortunately I have not had any lingering lymphedema issues. Thank goodness. But I remember how painful it is. I hope you get relief from your garments.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I definitely get relief from the Jobst compression stockings! I have used them for many years. They seem to help keep swelling down, and the compression just feels good. Had bad veins for many years before oblation procedures over a year ago, but they still didn't feel great, so back to the sox to also help with circulation :happydance:
 
@Jamie, do you have any surgeon recommendations for Hood? She’s looking for revision surgeons in the Mid-Atlantic area.

. My zip code is 20603 and DC and Northern Virginia are closer to me than Baltimore and JHU.
 
I am so very sorry....for some reason all the tags in this thread never showed up in my alerts! Let me do some research on revisions surgeons in the DC area and northern Virginia and I'll get right back to you. I'm also going to notify our CEO who has a lot of contacts with surgeons around the country. He may have some recommendations as well.
 
Thank you @Jamie! I certainly do appreciate your help! Maryland is ok too. When doing research on my own I found an OS in Annapolis that was highly recommended, but online I couldn’t tell if he did revisions.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Please keep us posted about a revision specialist, I have 2 names in the Philadelphia area but am open to others.
 
Last edited:
What is the surgeon's name in Annapolis you found?
 
Here is a surgeon in Charlottesville, VA:

James A. Browne
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Charlottesville, VA
Revision hips and knees

And one in the Washington DC area:

Dr. Stuart Melvin III
Washington DC and Chevy Chase
 
Thank you very much @Jamie. The doctor in Annapolis is Dr. James H. MacDonald.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
He does sound like someone to talk with as he has made a specialty of hips and knees. But, you're right, you can't tell much about his experience with revisions surgery from the web searches. You'll have to ask him how many knee revisions he does each year and whether or not he's dealt with problems like yours before. It's worth a try, though.
 
So glad all you ladies are working on finding a revision specialist for Hood. I sure was grateful for the name I got from Jamie, then I did a little research of my own on each name. Thank the Lord, it all worked out for me, and the end result is great.
Teamwork, encouragement, information, and shared experiences all contribute to a more promising outcome. I also am glad I didn't wait more than 6 months to get the revision, due to all the other problems it was causing, and wanting to get on with healing and a better life.
 
And don't be afraid, or reluctant, to ask direct/specific questions about his experience in this, and his results with this exact condition.
You are the patient and have every right to be thorough in your investigation of an OS
to fix another's mistake.
I told my last surgeon that I can't do this anymore, and that this has to be the last surgery.
I don't care what he may have thought about my comment.
They work for us. :prayer::thumb:
 
Thank you @kayow11. I have left messages at two of the OS’ earlier this week and am still waiting to hear back. I have my list of questions ready to go, but may have to make an appointment to get them all answered. [emoji6] They should at least answer how many revisions they do and their experience with initial valgus revision corrections. I just hope they do respond. This was my main concern finding someone that will fix another surgeon’s mistake.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thank you @Hood1980. I had a look at that article but I’m not sure that it’s relevant. It’s really about those knees with specific problems that cause misalignment. However it does say that misalignment can cause instability. I’m not sure I have instability. I just have pain that I can’t tolerate after about an hour of doing the simplest things.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@shelli22 I had a slight misalignment prior to surgery, maybe 3 degrees and expected the knee replacement to fix it or at least not make it any worse. My new joint retains the ACL & PCL which makes balancing the soft tissues more challenging, but my surgeon shouldn’t have chosen it, if he didn’t think it would correct my problem. I feel so let down. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980, and @shelli22, my Valgus was off 10 degrees and caused foot and ankle pain, along with hip and low back pain. It all felt worse on that whole leg side than before the surgery.
Besides my original surgeon, I did make an appointment and see two other surgeons that do revisions. That is when I chose the one I did. You can't get all your info from a phone call, but need to see them in person and see how they interact with you. That is key! And when I did she was awarded, I saw him a second time before my last surgery just to make sure. That was the thing to do.
I also have had a very hard time accepting the fact that, due to a professionals mistake, I have to go through all this misery again for many more months! I know how you feel! But thankfully, I can let go of that since I am on the mend, and the surgery was a success.
I specifically asked my last surgeon before the surgery, exactly what he felt he needed to do to make it right. He was specific and gave me some peace of mind in his skill and decision making.
Remember, you are the customer and have every right to get your questions answered before you make your decision and choice. Don't be shy.
 
Thank you @kayow11! I definitely need to be more assertive and am working in that direction. I was hoping to pre-evaluate the Surgeons before I make an appointment. Do you think they will answer how many revisions they do and how many valgus corrections prior to me coming in for an appointment? I’m trying to conserve money And time especially since these surgeons are quite a distance for me to travel. I have mad an appointment with the head of orthopedic surgery at Georgetown Hospital. The first available appointment is late July. [emoji15]. I’m still waiting to hear back from 3 others.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Wow, that's quite a wait!
I think it's fine to ask how many revisions they do in a month, but I didn't specifically ask my surgeon how many misalignments he has done, only that he has done several of them and had good success.
He also showed me on the x-ray of my full leg, where he thought the problem was, and what he planned to do about it. That was helpful.
I did see three surgeons before I chose my current one. It was apparent to me after seeing him two times and how he presented himself and treated me, that he was the right one.
I know you can't always go by that and can be fooled, but fortunately, he was the real deal and did what he said. He didn't seem to have a problem answering any of my questions,. And if he would have had problems with that, it would have been a red flag for me.
They should be able to be honest with a potential patient and try to sell them selves, with truth.
I was able to get a little bit of info online on all three of them, but not much. I also did speak with some of the staff that works with these particular surgeons and they all gave a great reviews for their doctor. I guess that's no surprise. Otherwise they wouldn't be working for them probably.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom