Guest viewing is limited

TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

walked 45 minutes yesterday. For the past year or so I’ve been keeping my exercise to 30 mins….but I’ve increased it and it doesn’t cause me any additional tightness/pain.

It's interesting that that you don't get pain whilst walking. You say that afterwards you have to rest but sitting or standing causes the pain.
I found that a rocking stool really helped me. It kept up very gentle movement that my knee seemed to like. I had one left over from my daughters nursing period but you might get one cheaply on Ebay.
 
I think of having a scope Every. Single. Day! May write a message to the Duke dr to see if he would do that/think it would help me.

@Vida: was going through my thread and remembered that you had a scope back in October (I think). How are you doing? Did it help? I sure hope so! Would love to hear your thoughts on this procedure…thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
MAU? Not sure what that means…
Do you maybe mean MUA (“manipulation under anesthesia”).

I never had to get a (MUA)…my range of motion was always pretty decent.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
no, even early on the dr and PTs said I was bending too well to recommend an MUA. I asked and asked. My range of motion took a lot longer to get where it’s supposed to be, but it was juuusst good enough to rule it out (shrug).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember your ROM after your revision. Was your revision the stiffness or malfunction of the implant?
 
I got to 120 (eventually) after both the initial knee replacement and the revision.

Multiple x-rays and 2 MRIs show that the implant is fine.

A tight, swollen feeling is what got me into surgery in the first place. Before surgery I got it after standing for abt 45 mins. Now, post two surgeries, I have tightness after standing for as short a time as 1 minute. I have lots of tightness (which I assume is scar tissue) after exercising too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just seconding what others have said. I had two TKRs and both times it took a full year to feel sort of back to normal and pain-free. Mostly pain-free at 6 months, but still limitations. You may be pushing yourself too hard with all that exercise. I kept having to start, back off, and restart. When something hurts or swells up, definitely consult a professional, but I'd back off regardless of what a physical therapist says. Maybe try a week without exercise and see if there's improvement.
 
@Jamie: I posted (or thought I posted) an update a few mos ago but never heard anything so I probably didn't do it correctly. Hope you are well! I just passed my six-year mark and am wondering what BS says about getting steroid injections to break up scar tissue? I'm able to walk for 45 mins with no pain (until I get home and rest!)...but I still can't stand for more than a minute w/o my knee getting all "tight" inside. I've had every test and and tried every treatment--including the revision in April 2022, which did not help at all. Am trying to avoid getting the Duke dr to go in, take everything out and start over. Any suggestions on what I can try? I feel that there's a LOT of scar tissue inside. Thanks in advance!
 
Hello Stiff knee NC, Thanks for stopping by. I am really sorry you're still facing challenges after a revision. Struggling with pain after walking and the inability to stand comfortably for an extended period of time is disheartening. I will let, Jamie, respond to the tag and leave you some information in the meantime...

We've implemented a new subscription model since you last visited the site.

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, which is what you are now, you have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. Please join us!
Here is a link to check it out - Become an Insider

I hope you find answers that bring relief soon.
@Stiff knee NC
 
Is this something your surgeon has recommended? While I know this type of treatment can work externally, I’m not familiar with it being used on internal scar tissue. Please consider one of our Insiders Club membership options so we can better support you going forward.
 
@Jamie: Surgeon does not have any suggestions. He said he would go in and break up scar tissue, and he would give me an injection. Whichever I prefer. Guess I need to go see him again and get clarity. And become a BS Insider! Thanks!
 
Hi Stiff knee NC,
Apologies because I am not clear on your post above, but if you're considering an Insider membership, following you'll find a link showing the benefits of the subscription. I hope you'll join us!
Become an Insider
 
I am hoping you can give me feedback for what I consider my last attempt to help alleviate tightness (scar tissue?) and pain in my left knee. It's been 7 years since my TKR. Tried everything. Had a revision in April '22. Even tho the OS cleaned up a "lot" of scar tissue, it ultimately did not help. X-rays show that the implant is fine.

(I credit having to use the continuous passive machine for 6 hr/day for 3 weeks to creating what feels to me as a massive amount of scar tissue.) I can walk without pain but cannot stand without pain and the tight band feeling.

I have an appt with my OS in 2 weeks. Earlier, he said that he did not recommend a steroid shot or open surgery. His only rec is to go in arthroscopically and "clean up" anything he finds. Is this something that can be done yearly?

I've had conflicting nickel allergy test results...blood test by Chicago lab showed I was allergic but skin patch tests at Duke showed no allergies to different concentrations of nickel.

I've read about Facet Point Injection (isn't this a steroid shot?), lysis, synovectomy, testing the fluid, etc. I trust my doctor...but would like to be knowledgeable about my options. Also concerned about recovery (with the holidays approaching).

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much!
 
I've had conflicting nickel allergy test results...blood test by Chicago lab showed I was allergic but skin patch tests at Duke showed no allergies to different concentrations of nickel.
Since the implant is inside your body, personally, I would trust the blood test, rather than the skin test, your implant is not a piece of jewelry.

If your current surgeon is not very familiar with this, you might want to seek out another surgeon who is.

Here are some members who have dealt with the metal allergy:
 
Have you received additional opinions on what could be done? If not, I think that should be your next step. Even if you did at some point in the past, it might be a good idea to revisit your situation with at least two other surgeons, stressing the result of the test for allergic reactions.

The blood test you had done is the “gold standard” for allergic reactions where joint replacements are concerned. The skin test you had done doesn’t always give the best results. This is definitely something to discuss with your second opinion surgeons because you need to hear their opinion of possibly revising to a different implant that has less possibility of giving an allergic reaction.

All this said, some people just tend to make more scar tissue (adhesions) than others and it is possible for this problem to come right back with a clean out. However, it is my feeling that an arthroscopic clean out is more likely to result in this than undergoing a Lysis of Adhesions procedure by a surgeon skilled in that procedure. It is open surgery, but a number of our members have had positive results from it when nothing else worked. It’s worth discussing with someone who is experienced in the procedure. It may take some work to find a surgeon like this, but if you need help, just let me know and I’ll see if I can find some names for you.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom