Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

@Hood1980, The questions you just posted, are really the only ones I can think of.
If he doesn't answer your questions to your satisfaction, try to press him more to explain himself. You will probably get the same answers I got.

I waited six months for my revision, and had to do it then because it was causing too many other issues like foot pain, back pain, and knee pain with exaggerated ligament stretch, ( which had to be fixed during my revision due to the laxity of the ligament which would have made my joint unstable, the surgeon said).
He also recommended that waiting for 4-5 months minimum would be sufficient, and safe for me in general, and the knee tissues.
Since I am already recovering and in this mental and physical slump, I figured it would be good to get all of it over with now, instead of waiting for many more months or a year and going through it yet again.

Of course the energy drain could come from even one surgery, so I just had more of it. Also the propofol anesthesia three times in 10 months, it is probably too much for my body to handle. Or maybe anybody's body.
It caused some short term memory loss but that is very slowly improving.

I feel I made the right choice and my newest knee is coming along fairly well, except the bend is still pretty limited. Just like the other one.
I personally did not want to wait until I was so bad,or had a blowout, or was incapacitated with pain and inability to get around, before I had my surgeries. I could see what was progressing and what I had to do eventually, so I decided to get it done to get on with my life. I really don't procrastinate with very many things.

I do understand why people get them both done at the same time. That way all the misery is terrible at first but both generally are getting better at the same time, and you don't have to look forward to another surgery.
I did wait three months between my first and second surgery. And I thought that it would work out good that way, but for me because of the misalignment, it really caused me more problems.

All of these surgeries are a risk, and you never know how yours will end up. :what:
 
My sincerest apologies....I hadn't read your whole thread until now. Wow! You have been through a lot, but it sounds like you have become very well educated along the way. I wish I could take back my "I'm doing ok" comment, not even sure why I posted that. Not nice of me to post on your thread. I learned to read people's whole story first:umm:My heart really really goes out to you as you go thru this journey. I hear you when you say something about your active life being taken, but what I whole heartedly believe is that you will get an awesome revision, that you will recover well, as you know what it takes and understand pain and most importantly that in 2 years, 3 years, 10 years, you will look back on this and think about all the issues as if it was just a blip in time. I know it is 100% of what you think about now, but in the future it won't be!:flwrysmile:
 
I also was way worse off after my second surgery that resulted in a crooked misaligned knee, than before that surgery. But thankfully, after this third surgery, my leg is straight.
I have less back and foot pain, and I am recovering at eight weeks postop! Time does go fast really, but when you're going through the misery of it all, it drags on, and the pain is sometimes very hard to deal with. It's easy to wish you were somewhere in the future at these times.
I made the decision to take the chance, and I went through with that, and I am so happy that it resulted in success. Now I just have to get both legs strong and healed up so I can walk and do normal things of life.
It will be one year on June 19 that I started this new journey. It's been a very long year :groan:
 
@nuttybrunette No need to apologize! I’m so happy you stopped by and shared your story. I’m hoping to be a happy successful Bonesmartie after my next go round. It does my heart good to hear the great success stories like yours and it reminds me to stay positive and what the possibilities can be! Thank you so much for the uplifting post. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thank you @kayow11 I am learning so much from you and your continued support. I’m so happy you are recovering so well and what a great way to cap off the year you’ve had! I bet you are planning some awesome activities in the near future!

I have a Panama cruise in November I will probably have to cancel/postpone after my nest OS appointment. It was to celebrate our anniversary and my new knee, but things do happen and plans change. I’m trying to squeeze as much as I can with my limited mobility in before the next surgery, especially with the kids and grandkids! [emoji6]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980,
I really am not making any plans right now. My first main goal is to get well enough to function normally. This has been going on for a year almost, and I see the slow pace and how things have not returned even near to normal even with the old first knee yet. The standing and walking tolerance that is still very low, is of most concern to me, but there are a couple people on this site that have had the same problem, and eventually got much better. I am looking at two years down the road before I think I could Possibly feel decent. Every time I try to rush the process, it backfires on me.
Glad I have been helpful for you. That's what is so valuable about this forum. People can share their successes and failures and problems without hesitation. Many people here have helped me, so I am glad to help others, especially ones that have the same problems as me.
My revision surgery, was less painful and a little better recovery afterwards, compared to the original surgery. Hopefully yours will be the same. He only had to deal with my femur bone and redo that area and not have to deal with the middle of the joint except to replace the plastic meniscus part. He left the lower leg tibia area alone since there was no problem there.
 
Thinking of you today! :console2:
 
Thank you @Jockette! I’m busy re-reading all the great advice I got here and my notes from several journal articles. From my research I think my malalignment was caused from under correcting the soft tissue balancing and possibly the selection of the wrong implant for my specific issues. It will be interesting to hear if my OS mentions this or anything as to the cause of my current knee situation.

My husband is taking off work this afternoon to go with me. Always good to have a second pair of ears and I want him to tAke the lead of getting all my X-rays and files. I’m hoping it doesn’t take more than one visit because it is quite the drive especially in DC rush hour traffic.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
DC rush hour traffic... ugh. :oyvey: It's good you have your husband to go with you. Moral support and someone to ride shotgun is always a plus. Mr. Shoes went with me to all my pre- and post-op checkups. As he likes to say, "Two brains are better than one." At least one of us is likely to remember something!

Hope you get some input from your OS. :praying:
 
I am familiar with the nightmare DC traffic can be!

I’m glad your husband is going with you! Mine went to every appointment with me, too, but we are retired, so we have that luxury.
 
Spending the day crying! How does this happen? The lower/tibia cut is off 5* contributing to my misalignment. The only way for it to be fixed is surgery. Surgery will fix the misalignment but may cause other problems, because I will lose my ACL. No guarantees that I will see any improvements in gait/ROM/stability/pain/etc. I’m wasting away....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
:console2: I’m doing some of that myself.
 
Last edited:
Hood1980, so sorry for what you are going through. I hardly know what to say. Take one day/thing at a time. Wishing you peace of mind. Hugs!
 
Surgery will fix the misalignment but may cause other problems, because I will lose my ACL.
Losing the ACL won't be a problem at all. There are types of knee replacement hardware that compensate for losing the cruciate ligaments.
I've copied, below, part of this article: Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos

"Cruciate sacrificing
When the cruciates are in poor condition or even ruptured, a prosthesis is used which has a peg on the plastic insert and a notch on the femoral component to take over their functions of keeping the joint stable.

[Bonesmart.org] Hood1980’s Revision
"
 
Losing the ACL I would lose stability. The joint I have is the most stable, since I retained all my ligaments. The valgus will not get better on its own. When I’m ready he can fix it and he also gave me names of 3 other OSs that do revisions that he recommends. He personally printed out all my X-rays and his surgical notes.

“None of us are fully happy with the result” the dr admitted. How about me???



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Losing the ACL I would lose stability. The joint I have is the most stable, since I retained all my ligaments.
No. That just isn't true. Did you read what I copied above? A joint with the sort of hardware illustrated is just as stable as a joint with retained cruciate ligaments.
 
You may get different info from a revision specialist. It’s nice that he acknowledged your concerns and offered you 3 names. However I’ve read many times on here Bonesmart recommends no association.

You have appointments, right?

I have no idea what I will be told next week. I am upset also. How do these things happen? We trust the surgeon to be good at his job and do the right procedure for us.
:console2::console2::console2:
 
@Celle I’m sorry I’m telling y’all what my surgeon said. He wanted to be able to retain the femoral component and only replace the tibial one. I have read the articles prior to surgery and briefly just now. I’m not sure they would work together.

I can’t handle the technical side right now. I’m too emotional [emoji24] and am trying to cope with the reality that another surgery will be needed and it may or may not give me my life back that’s been missing for almost a year! I injured my knee last July and had the replacement in December and it still doesn’t work well. Do I have the surgery and risk another bad outcome? Who will take care of my parents and grandkids while I have yet another surgery and probably even longer recovery? Plus my “good” knee is really complaining! I have two appointments scheduled with revision surgeons over the next few weeks and hopefully will have a good plan forward. [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374] for a clear path forward. Thanks for listening and all your help and support!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jockette I hear what you are saying about his recommendations. I do already have appointments and one of the surgeons he recommended is one of the revision specialists I have an appointment scheduled with. [emoji15] I’m second guessing him now but he is the one I really was looking foreword to seeing. He’s the head of ortho at Georgetown and it’s a long wait to see him. I might schedule an appointment with a third revision specialist just in case. I’m really leery of starting this process over!

My first surgeon is also a revision specialist! 20% of his surgeries are revisions from other surgeons. This entire process is scary and unsettling!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My first surgeon is also a revision specialist! 20% of his surgeries are revisions from other surgeons. This entire process is scary and unsettling!
I agree, it is!

I think it’s good that your surgeon acknowledged the misalignment and that he referred you to someone else, especially since he does do revisions. He must feel you’d do better with a different set of eyes looking at your leg.

Did he have any explanations for the misalignment?

I know how you feel about facing another surgery. I will be very surprised if I am not facing one.

Like you, the words I am hoping to hear is, “I can fix this”. But who knows what’s going on inside my knee.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers.
:console2:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom