Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

I like to know more details about things, and especially my surgery.
Before my surgery the surgeon told me what he thought he would be doing exactly, and after surgery at my first postop with him last week, he told me he did use a long rod that he put up my femur bone to line up the rest of my knee joint and lower leg to make sure it was straight. I assume it was a thin rod.
He did tell me this before the surgery too. Sounds kind of gruesome and I kept thinking about my bone marrow in my femur, but my leg doesn't feel too bad.
He also shaved off a little more bone and had to put a thicker piece of plastic to replace the meniscus, to make up for the extra bone loss. He told me he would have to do this, and that he would be removing the old bone cement and titanium or Oxinium, whatever was used, and then have to remodel the end of the bone and reapply the bone cement.
So it appears my original surgeon didn't even get the end of the femur bone straight as far as remodeling the bone. I wonder what he was thinking about at the time?
I do think that people that do the same thing all the time and thousands and thousands of surgeries, for years and years, can get careless and complacent at times. Of course this is very costly for the patient and the insurance company, let alone all the extra pain and suffering and potential complications involved. But I know people are human and make mistakes no matter who they are.
I'm still not quite over my negative feelings towards my first surgeon. It has set my life back a whole year practically. :chinstroke: :umm: :unsure:
Don't be afraid to ask what their strategy is, that is if you're wanting to know. They shouldn't be afraid to tell you what they kind of plan to do.
 
Hi everyone! Just got back from my first trip since having TKR. Everything went ok, but would not have been able to do it without DH. Way too much walking, and the stairs, and the low toilet seats! But thank goodness for all my bone smartie friends’ advice, I was prepared! I wore the compression stockings they gave me at the hospital and I think they saved me on the trip down! We had a 2 hour delay on the tarmac waiting for storms, plus the two hour flight! It was pretty rough on the new knee! It was great seeing my son and a real morale booster, but emphasized I have a long way to go!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@kayow11 You don’t realize how helpful to me you are being! You are giving me the confidence I need to go forward on this journey. I don’t want to be stuck this way! I feel like my life is being taken away from me due to a surgeon’s error. [emoji35]

I plan to call my current surgeon’s office today. I’m sure I’ll get the PA, but I am going to be more assertive and get my appointment moved up, not that I want him to do the surgery, but I want to know what his thoughts on what happened and why, what is his plan to fix it, how much longer should I have to suffer like this? Does this sound reasonable to you or do any others have any advice? Suggestions for questions to ask current surgeon?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Glad to hear you survived your recent trip. Yes, travel is hard on a new knee at first, even a knee without other issues. Time to give that knee some much needed rest.

I think it's important for you to hear your surgeon's thoughts on your surgery and results. I'm like @kayow11 in that I have a medical background and ask sometimes uncomfortable questions of my surgeon, even though in my case I have had a great result. It's just important to me to know what to expect and to hear the bald facts, not a simplified version.

Let your surgeon see you know your facts and are educated about knee replacements. Ask about a strategy going forward, even if you know already you aren't going to use this surgeon. The answer could contain useful information. You don't have to tip your hand about what you're going to do; find out what he is willing or not willing to do. You can then balance that information against what other surgeons tell you, or advice you receive from other sources.
 
@Hood1980, I am so thankful that I have been able to help you with my experience and advice.
You are only one month ahead of me on my last surgery and there is no way even in one month, that I could walk in an airport.:hairpulling:
Even at seven weeks, I need a cart to ride around in stores if I am going to shop at all. I could maybe handle 10 minutes but that's about it. That's how it was before after the other two surgeries also.
Both of my legs hurt way too much, especially the newest knee which is seven weeks old now. I am a slow bender and these knees heal really slow for me. Since I have been trying to do more activity, the 11 month old knee , which really has had a rough time also, has been acting up a lot and been very sore and at times painful. More swollen too.
Don't have a problem healing with anything else though, don't get that. I think the foreign parts just put me over the top? :scare:
I can't wait to wear my compression stockings every morning because my legs feel so much better with them on. My compression stockings are thigh high, and very very tight. Nothing like the Ted stockings in the hospital, but I'm glad that little bit of compression help you out.
I still have to wrap my knees with Ace wrap to keep extra swelling down, and the compression also takes away some of the discomfort I still have.

As far as your current surgeon goes, yes, go in with a list and ask him every thing you want to know about what he thinks, or recommends. If you don't understand something he saying, stop him and ask him to speak in layman's terms so you understand better. Don't let anybody make a snowball out of you. Be confident and assertive, and expect satisfactory answers. They do work for us.

My surgeon didn't really admit that he made a mistake, but he said he takes full responsibility for the end result. I doubt your surgeon will have any clue or say why he thinks it ended up crooked. They probably don't really know. In my opinion, it's in attentiveness to details and some carelessness and complacency.
He also assured me that he could fix it right and told me all the things he would do to achieve that.
Oddly enough, he told me to go see my current surgeon that did my revision, because he knew of him at the gym, but didn't know him very well, they both said. He knew that my current surgeon was known to have done many revisions.
The former surgeon also said that his ego isn't so big that he would be upset if I chose that other physician. He said he wants me to get the best results and be happy.
I don't really care what he thinks, but I guess he felt better saying that.

So I did that not just because he said so, but also because Jamie on this site gave me that name.
I love my current surgeon and he told me exactly what he thought he needed to do to fix me. I really appreciated how he treated me and when he saw my leg, seem to know and understand why I was having issues. He didn't try to skirt around it and question if I really was that bad.
And then when I saw him last week for my first postop with him, he told me what he actually did to make it right. I like to know all those things and told him I appreciated it.
They are not God, and I know some of them think that they are. I don't think they'll admit they did something wrong, but if it was their knee, they would know better.
My current surgeon told me to wait at least four months after the last knee surgery, to give my tissues more time to heal so they don't get so angry with another insult to soon, and he felt that would be safe.
I decided to wait six months, even though I was suffering with other problems because of the crooked misalignment.
I just wanted to give myself more time to heal and not aggravate tissue that were still angry from a former surgery, and I think waiting the extra two months did help me.

Feel free to ask me anything else that comes to your mind.
I am rather curious to see what he says to you after your visit. My former surgeon is still a nice guy, and originally, it almost swayed me to let him fix his mistake. But advice on this forum told me otherwise.
 
I was able to get my appointment with my current surgeon moved up to June 5th, but not my one with a potential revision OS at the end of July. I too am anxious to hear what my current surgeon has to say, because when I talked to his PA again to get the appointment moved up he was off putting/ snide. Saying of course the doctor will see you and help you manage your expectations! [emoji15][emoji33][emoji38]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
:blackcloud:I’m sorry the PA said that to you. Too many PAs think more highly of themselves than they ought!
 
Today the sun has finally come out here in southern Maryland although quite humid, I was happy to get out and try out my trekking poles. They make walking on uneven surfaces much easier for me, but now I seem to be having back spasms along with my usual foot and ankle and knee pain. I’m sure it’s all coming from misaligned knee, but I’m so anxious to be active and enjoy life. Feeling so robbed of an active life right now! [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Maybe what you are feeling in your back is from holding the trekking poles, it’s a different position for you. I had a pole like that early on because my surgeon prefers it to a cane, but I didn’t like it, I didn’t feel the least secure with it. But I was only 2 weeks post op. I switched to a cane and liked it better.

As always, we are all different!

I hope you can find some way to enjoy being outside.
 
@Jockette you’re probably right about the trekking poles, but am thinking the benefits of being outside on my mental fitness out weighs the pain from the back spasms. [emoji6] I’m sure my back muscles have gotten weak from nearly 5 months of doing nothing but sitting around. This whole process is very depressing and taking its toll on me (& you too, I’m sure)! And to think we’re starting the process over to have the same knee re-done! It chokes me up to think about it! [emoji24]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m in still in denial, to some extent. Until I see a surgeon who tells me that it must be redone my mind is keeping revision in the maybe department. That’s the best I can do right now. :boohoo:
 
Good luck with your next appointment, I'm still very new to all this but reading your story is so helpful. Everything from bruises to pain relief. Hope things improve.
 
Last edited:
I’m sure my back muscles have gotten weak from nearly 5 months of doing nothing but sitting around.

It's amazing how everything in our body gets out of kilter when we have bad knees! We don't even realize the contortions our other parts and muscles are making to compensate. And then when we start walking more normally again... we're out of kilter in whole new ways!

It's frustratingly normal to have hips, calves, ankles, backs and who knows what else act up when we get back up on our legs and walking. I went through the gamut with my daily walks. My back acted up--not just in one way but several ways--over the course of a few months. It finally seems to have become strong and able again. Took a while. Sometimes on walks I had to decide to walk despite my back aches. But if they're too bad that's not possible. :shrug:
 
I, too, had to sit around for 6 months-using crutches. The only walking I did was with a straight legged weird limp. Now, as I’m focusing on actually bending the knee and walking heel toe I totally feel it in my back, hip, and thigh. By the end of the day it feels like I’ve been mountain climbing. Lol. My new way of thinking about it to put a positive spin on it instead of the complaining I’ve been doing is that every night it’s all a bit sore means I’m one day closer to normal walking. So it’s a means to an end, I guess:).
 
@Hood1980, and @Jockette,
Believe me, I know how distressing it is to think about another surgery. I am still suffering in many ways from 3 major knee surgeries in 10 months, such as both legs hurting with stand/walk, short term memory loss, (very slowly improving), poor balance and lack of coordination, lacking proprioception, weak muscles in both legs, especially quads, lack of decent bend, still some back pain lingering, some foot pain which started with the crook knee, etc.
But because of my crooked and misaligned knee, and all the trouble it was causing me, I knew I HAD TO DO IT. Knowing I really didn't have a legitimate choice, I was able to not be consumed by it constantly, even with the known misery I would face to have to do it again.

I am now 8 1/2 weeks out and I know I am healing, but as usual, everything is sooooo slow. At times I feel really discouraged especially because my 11 month old me is still not very good.
My standing and walking tolerance is poor on my legs, both of them, and can hurt so bad that I just feel like I want to cry.
I then have to find a place to sit and rest the legs. I feel it stems from my knees, but I'm not sure. I sure hope and pray I don't stay like this.
I hear of many many success stories around me and on this forum, but so far I am not in that same boat of feeling pretty good at this point.
Of course I still have the eight week old knee and I have to consider that, but the almost year old should be better at this point.
But I have no other choices now, just have to wait and see how it all goes forward. Take care of myself, and pray for divine healing. :prayer: :praying:
 
I am still suffering in many ways from 3 major knee surgeries in 10 months,
This is one of the reasons I want to wait. I don’t feel like my knee is taking a toll on the rest of my body (just my mind) and I want to give my body more healing time.
 
Thank you @kayow11. Our stories do have a lot in common. I went shopping with my DD yesterday. My leg hurt a lot so I mostly sat in the comfy mall chairs while she shopped, but still a good mental health day to be out with her.

I’ve gotten my current OS appointment moved up to June 5th and was wondering if you had a list of questions you could share with me so I cover everything with him. I’m not sure he’ll answer them but I definitely want to ask. How did this misalignment happen? What would be his course of action to correct it, even though I have no intention of using him? Any monetary discounts since it has to be re-done?

Like @Jockette, I want to wait enough time for my body to heal, but I am impatient to get my life back on track. My plan was to have my second knee done by now, but knee #1 has been such a pain! I probably won’t have it done until it blows out like #1 did last July.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@nuttybrunette was wondering how your recovery has been? Crutches at 6 months? Console


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I guess I wasn't clear. Could be the meds:heehee: The crutches and straight legged limping were before surgery. My recovery is going well....at 3 1/2 weeks and only use a cane 50% of the time. The new knee feels very stable.:) :-) (:
 
That’s great news @nuttybrunette! In my case, at nearly 5 months out, I’m in worse shape than I was before TKR! It’s VERY upsetting!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom