Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Hi @Hood1980, what an encouraging update! I can’t wait to get back in the pool. I have a few more weeks to go. You are headed in the right direction, keep going!!:yay:
 
Hi everyone! My mom fell and broke her pelvis and I’ve been taking care of her and my recovery has taken a back seat, unfortunately. I did experience excruciating shin pain while she was still in the hospital, possibly from overdoing it by picking her up, etc, so I did make an appointment and got to see my surgeon’s NP. X-rays confirmed my thoughts (that I even expressed to my surgeon prior to surgery)! The rod in my lower leg is pressing on my tibia. [emoji22] I was worried I’d has issues because I have small in diameter bones and am somewhat short and the standard revision parts wouldn’t fit me. My surgeon wasn’t concerned at all. I will see him at my next follow up in January.

The recommended therapy is bone strengthening nasal spray. I was in a clinical trial while undergoing breast cancer treatment where I was on bone strengthening drugs and told my surgeon prior to surgery that it may impact my revision, but he didn’t seem phased by it. These drugs have a very rare but severe side effect....jaw necrosis.

So my saga continues....becoming convinced I will never be able to walk normally again. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m sorry to read all this. :console2:

My mother fell and broke her pelvis, 3 days before my daughter’s wedding. Thankfully she didn’t need surgery but was in a rehab facility for a time. So sad when things like this happen to our parents.

I hope things will improve with your poor leg. Let me know how your Dr appointment goes.
 
:console2::prayer: I pray that everything works out OK.
 
I’m sorry to hear about your mother and your problems too. It makes me mad that when you inform your doctors of possible problems and they just blow it off! They aren’t the ones who have to suffer. I hope you and your mother will continue to improve.
 
I haven’t given an update in a while but there hasn’t been any improvements and it’s been difficult trying to accept this new way of life including the 25 pound weight gain. [emoji22] knee replacement and revision is about so much more than your knee! I wish they would take more of a team approach with a complete support system similar to what I had when I went through breast cancer. It would be more beneficial to all the knee replacement patients especially those of us that have less than ideal outcomes. Help prepare us for a new way of life and coping mechanisms. So frustrated. So sad. I never should have had the TKR and I tell everyone that asks to not have it if there is any other option, take it over knee replacement. They have not been perfected yet.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I agree, there is much more involved than just the knee/leg. I still have occasional mini melt downs of frustration, though nowhere as intense as earlier on, as this is not how it was supposed to go.

I’ve had a weight gain also, and for the first time, diet alone is not reducing my weight as it used to. I think I have much fewer ADLs than I used to, but it’s hard with a limited knee, and now I have a painful heel making walking difficult.

I hope you at least feel that your leg is straight now.
 
Oh @Hood1980, I just want to give you a big hug! We go into these revisions because something is not right, and truly believe it can only get better. Time is still on you side. You are only in your 7th month post-op; a long ways from completely healed. Take time for yourself now. A little TLC can go along way.
 
I wish I could give you a hug. I’m so sorry that you are going through all of this. Sadly I believe there’s a lot of people who have a TKR that don’t have the outcome they believe they will have. We don’t have any choice but to try and make the best of it. :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom