Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Ok, whenever you want. When you do, tag Josephine so she will be sure to see it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hood1980’s Revision
 
I think that’s a great picture! I think Josephine will agree.
 
A perfect picture, thank you!

I think this knee has about 8 degrees of valgus. Not a good outcome.

[Bonesmart.org] Hood1980’s Revision
 
Thank you @Josephine. I knew something was not right. Can you or someone tell me or send me a link as to what I should do? Or perhaps a link to someone’s thread hat has been through this? I tried googling and am not finding a lot of info.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My doc told me that 5 degrees of valgus was stretching things quite a bit. So, I think you need to see someone who does revisions to get another opinion and measurements with xrays. Let's see @Jamie is the best at finding someone near you, but let us know where you are located and we will see what can be found for you. Your knee is quite young!! so, you may have to let some time elapse, so don't worry just yet.
 
Thank you @skigirl. I’m trying to find out more information and see what my options will be down the road. I’ve read some people wait a year. How does something like this happen?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hood, I'd be happy to help you find a couple of surgeons to consider for a second opinion. If you'd like me to do that, you must be at the point where you are willing to make an appointment with them. When you decide you are, just tag me in a post and I'll do some research. You tag me by typing the "at" sign (@) followed immediately by my username (Jamie). You'll know the tag works when you post the reply and the tag turns blue and is underlined like this @Jamie
 
I suggest that when you do see someone, you print that picture off and take it with you to show them.
 
Thanks @Jamie! I’ll certainly need help! Is it too early to start talking to other surgeons? I’d like to talk to another surgeon to find out what my options are even if I have to wait a year for the surgery. Thanks@Josephine, I will print the picture out. Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate it. Will it be possible to have the revision (if needed) and a TKR on the right at the same time?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m so sorry you are facing this. :console2:
@kayow11 recently had a revision for this reason.
 
I can't really say what a surgeon will tell you about when to do the revision or if he possibly would consider doing it at the same time as your other knee. I'm inclined to think a good surgeon would want to do one knee at a time, though. You really want him to be able to focus on one problem at a time. A revision can be a bit trickier than a primary surgery. You want to avoid surgeon fatigue! So don't get shook if you are told it will be two surgeries. What you can ask for is possibly to have them a few days or a week apart, so basically you would have one recovery. Sometimes that's possible.

Just let me know when you're ready to see about appointments with revision surgeons.
 
I am sorry that you have to go through this. Some of the surgery, such as where to make the cuts is performed with templates and lots of advice from the manufacturer of the knee. There are some subjective issues however with placement. My surgeon does only knees and is considered to be at the top of his stride and my knee is slightly off too.
 
I’m so worried....my OS only does knees too and is the best in the area and does other surgeons’ mistakes/revisions so it makes me even more nervous trying to find another surgeon and going through even a more difficult procedure. I’m grieving the loss of yet another knee....another year in recovery....another year of not participating in life the way I want. Sorry for the pity party. [emoji22] my DH is getting tired f hearing it.

Ive called my current OS office and am waiting to hear back from them. I want to email them Josephine’s marked up picture and see what their approach is going to be. It doesn’t help that the foot on my TKR side has had a bunionectomy and rods in the big toe and the foot. The leg misalignment is making my ankle hurt so bad too! It’s all related. I’m going to ask them for my surgical file, notes, X-rays...anything else?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ask for your operative report. I have mine, plus all X-rays they took, notes from each check up appointment and the mri they ordered before surgery.

I’m grieving the loss of yet another knee....another year in recovery....another year of not participating in life the way I want.
I would feel the same way. :console2:
 
@Hood1980. I feel the same as you and have the same problem. I have seen the surgeon following a long leg X-ray. After the surgeon saw the X-rays he ordered a CT scan called a Perth scan. It takes different views and the angles are then measured to determine the degree of misalignment. I am waiting for those results. The OS wants to wait 12 weeks. This will give the knee time to cool down. It’s hopefully also going to give the pain time to settle. He will then determine whether it is out of alignment by enough that it requires repeating the surgery or if I can live with the pain.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
I would be heartbroken if my outcome had been like yours. I'm not doing great, but, thank God, it's pretty straight. My prayers will be with you as you make some very important decisions.
 
@Hood1980, And @shelli22,
I will likely have some insight for both of you fine ladies.
Five weeks ago I had my third surgery in 10 months. My first right total knee was in June 2017, Left total knee was September 2017, and that one was misaligned and created Valgus just like you guys have.

Josephine and my revision surgeon said it was about 10° off. I actually had considered having my original surgeon to fix his problem since he reassured me that he could do so. But from several valued opinions on this site, I reconsidered and had a revision specialist do my surgery, from a different medical group.

I had my revision 5 weeks ago on March 26. This surgery was actually less painful afterwards and going better than the original total knee on that side. Less work done in there too, they just had to work at the end of my femur bone, and shave off a little more bone and chip off the bone cement and other metal there and reapply.

Before the surgery, which was six months out, I was having a lot of foot pain, inside arch and ankle pain, knee pain, and hip and left low back pain, everything fell twisted inward, and I couldn't spend much time standing or walking because it made both of my legs hurt and ache more.

I got the name of my revision specialist surgeon from Jamie on this website. He was wonderful and told me I just had to wait at least four months postop. I waited six months.
Now my legs don't hurt anymore except for the post surgical pain, my foot can still have a few issues but I do think there is it's own problem there anyway, and my hip and whole left extremity feels normal now. My legs don't ache or hurt when I walk.

I still am having some back pain that started right after this misalignment and hopefully it is going to clear up since I am having some chiropractic and strengthening done with it now.

My advice is to find a well noted and successful revision specialist who does lots of them like mine does, he said 5-7 every month, and said he has had success with misalignments before.

It would be good from a different medical group also I would say. My surgeon was not concerned about doing the surgery at six months at all. He said it just had to cool down a little bit and it did.
I could not wait a year since I was having so many other problems and pain from this misalignment, and I highly recommend you guys not to wait if you are having similar symptoms.

If either of you have anymore questions for someone that has been through this, you know where to find me
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom