TKR Freedom's right knee<

Right now you want to work on getting in and out of bed, walking to the bathroom, a few stairs, sit to stand from a chair, simple meal preparation, dressing, bathing, and other functional activities.

All the OT stuff. ADLs. My walker is my friend. My leg lifter is my friend. Sigh.

You mean Christmas in July? I know some summer resorts celebrate Christmas on July 25th. (Yellowstone)

Good luck, wish I could wave a magic wand and heal your knee,

Well, that made me smile. I know the safety factors, and that's why I don't expect to be driving anytime soon.

@sistersinhim I don't know what it means to have that extension limit. For my extension, you have most of your weight on that walker. "Furniture walking " is not an option. That's why I get frustrated reading Josephine's recovery thread, as soon as I see she started at 100. I know I won't be doing what she did for about 3 weeks.

I struggle to sit on the side of the bed. The heel of the left foot is about 3 inches further forward than the toes on the left. Now use your arms to push up to a standing position, your weight is all on the left foot. You grab for the walker and slowly use your toes to move the right foot back into position so you can put some weight on it. Now you work to stand up straight and get your balance. Finally you can start moving. Frustrating!
 
I'm hoping that the leg will return to 0 extension like it was before this surgery. I knew the flex would be a problem, but never dreamed the extension would. Oh yeah, I understand your standing up routine. Add to that, that I have to use my good leg so gently lower my surgical leg. That first step is, (wow that hurts!), hard to get moving. But finally, I am walking. Another thing I'm finding really hard to do is to get into my recliner with my elevator in it. I can't put it in it after I'm already sitting, it has to be on there before I sit. I end up sitting just on the edge of the seat and then scooting back until I'm finally to the back of the chair. It must be a really funny sight! I can see that you are up and down all night long, too. Maybe one night we'll sleep it through! Wouldn't that be nice! Time for another pill, ice pack, bed and my Kindle.
 
Don't know what gosh means for my ROM.
It's a UK saying - much the same as you might say "Oh my"!
That 8s hip not knee, I think.
Now it's my turn! I don't know what that means!
That's why I get frustrated reading Josephine's recovery thread, as soon as I see she started at 100. I know I won't be doing what she did for about 3 weeks.
That's what bothers me, why am I so low. I've read your recovery threads you were at 100 flexion so that is not encouraging. So I am still left with WHY are my numbers so off, and what am I going to do.
I give you two points here
1. never ever compare your recovery to anyone else's. The reason I left my thread for you to read is to see how I got good results by doing no exercises. And the reason I got too a 100 is because I did not exercises!
As for the side slides, how else do you get the muscles to wake up.
Not that way! You are only one week out. You have heaps of time to improve yet.
My walker is my friend. My leg lifter is my friend. Sigh.
Don't sigh - say 'YES! isn't it great these things help me!'

So please stop fretting so. You're expecting miracles. And do what you have to whilst you're in rehab, just know as soon as you get home, looking after your cats will be your PT! Plenty enough activity there. Just don't do any exercises. AT .... ALL!
 
Many people start out as "turtles" and it's usually because the swelling needs to come down. In the long run, it's not an issue at all. Remember the lesson of the tortoise and the hare.
 
Sorry I haven't been back to reply. After that night long session, I was exhausted. Next day, kept nodding off during OT, finally slept for 4 hours in the afternoon then went to bed for the night at. 7 pm

@sistersinhim thank you for giving me those details. People focus on the numbers, but I have no idea what that means they can or cannot do. Very helpful for me to learn someone was physically doing much of what I am doing.

@Josephine, my mind Mum was English, born and raised in London during the Blitz. After the war she came here across the pond several times, visiting her 2 sisters. Met my Dad at the ballroom. I've been across the pond myself a few times, visiting cousins. So I am familiar with many of your idioms.

@kneeper , yes, my body has always been slow to heal.

Learned I am to stay here in rehab another 5 days. Quad just does not want to return to work yet. You sit in a chair and march, first 1 leg up and then the other. Except when I do it, right foot stays on the floor. This is what I wanted, to stay on here; don't feel ready to be home with my Baker's Dozen (8 cats and 5 bichons) just yet. I can spend more time in bed resting, undisturbed, here, than I ever could at home.

I was just about asleep half an hour back and quad spasmed, I was sitting up screaming fast. Of course movement stopped the spasm. Got some pain meds and going to try again for some sleep.
 
I'm back! Back home that is. Been home about 3 hours. I have a hard time with the cell phone, so ended up just using it to keep in touch with 2 people. Now home and on laptop!

My quad is still on vacation . . . wish it would send a post card! So I have to use my leg lifter. Did not have this issue with first knee.

Friend brought me home, grand welcome from the 5 dogs. I did a few things and suddenly realized I was exhausted. Off to bed for a nap -- uh oh. My bed here at home is NOT a hospital bed, so I can't lower it to get in, raise legs to ease stretch on back, raise head. Then getting out was a whole new challenge. My bed is 29 inches high. A few screams getting in and later getting out.

I've already had 2 phone calls, first from the home health care saying my OS has ordered nursing, PT and OT services for me. Second call was nurse, she will arrive tomorrow early afternoon, to do the assessment.

Lots to do as I was away 15 days. So much mail!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160611_002523 (Small).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 156
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160611_002529 (Small).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 174
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160611_002534 (Small).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 177
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160612_103742 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 174
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160612_103807 (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 172
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160612_103808 (Small).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 161
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160612_103841 (Small).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 161
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160612_104014 (Small).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 165
Just had a major issue. I added a HUGE pillow to my recliner, and sat down. 2 hours later, dogs barking, need to go out. I could not get out of the chair. Got foot part down and folded, both feet on floor. Pushed up with arms on chair arms till my arms were straight. My legs could not help me get the rest of the way up. After a few meltdowns and help from support group, I pushed as far as I could then leaned forward, got hands on walker and pushed up. My back would have made a nice table. I am afraid to sit now.

I had a nap earlier, had issues getting on bed and later getting off again. I TOLD them at rehab I needed a hosp bed, I was raising and lowering it constantly to get up and get down. No, they said, you will be fine, they said.

Far as I know, only way to strengthen those muscles is sit - stand repetitive motion to knee. Yikes
 
Wow... I'm sorry you had go through that, there are so many challenges we have to face each day during our recovery!!!
 
Hello All,
Things are chugging along. Amazing what a difference it makes second time around. I know what to expect, certain things that happen I know are normal, and I am not stressing out nearly as much.

Biggest difference this time is the quad muscle, still out on vacation somewhere. I was afraid to sit anywhere, after getting stuck in the recliner (see post above). Spent Sat and Sun in bed, which is probably good, just what my body needed, rest. This morning PT figured out a solution -- swap around 2 chairs in the living room, use a box as an ottoman. Ta dah! I can sit in my 'recovery corner' watch TV, use laptop, phone is handy. She was laughing,
'yes I went through many years of education for furniture shuffling." But it means SO much to me.

Stamina is low, frustration level is high, depression is here, all normal. Ice and elevate, and rest. I am at 65 flexion and 5 extension for measurements.

Other differences this time around, I have lost my appetite. I barely eat, get nauseous. Then since I haven't eaten, when I need a pain pill, more nausea. Fortunately I am only needing a pill about every 8 hours at this point.

Pet sitters are coming in about 9 am and 6 PM. Cats are happy, dogs are full of energy with no way to burn it. I got my back patio ready pre op, once I can handle getting out there and back in, I can sit out and toss a toy for them. Got my flowers growing, but noticed they need watering. Should get some rain overnight which will help. I know there is no chance I can do that just yet. Edited to correct, just looked again, only 40% chance of rain overnight, now.

Oh one other thing, with the quad not strong, I can't use my shower bench. I mean I could, but I would be sitting there for ever, no way to get up. I've only taken one shower since coming home, and ended up standing with 1 foot in the tub and 1 foot outside the tub. Well, OT was here this afternoon. She raised the seat, and had me practice. I really didn't want to, I was sure I would be stuck. It wasn't easy but, with it all raised higher, I was able to manage. I am not supposed to take a shower unless someone is here (similar to last time), she will come back later this week and I can go through the whole routine.

As I wrote the above, I realized today was a day of problem solving, PT and OT both. Love it!
 
I loved seeing the video of your dogs welcoming you home after your first TKR, and I bet all your pets are happy you are home. I'm glad you are managing to work out how to do things...necessity is the mother of invention!
Sorry you are feeling nauseous, hopefully that will pass soon, what about some protein drinks until you can get your appetite back? It's good that you are not so stressed this time around, stress is not good for healing!
Wishing you a good recovery.
Tabby xxx
 
Excellent help by the PT and OT. That's how it's supposed to work!
 
The nausea is the worst...Thank goodness I've been nausea free for a couple of days now. I bought the bathing towlettes in the picture, and they work really well, maybe something to consider in between showers!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    image.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 143
If you're nauseated, you don't feel like eating. If you don't eat, your body doesn't have the nutrients it needs to heal us. Being able to eat is a huge plus in this battle!
 
Decided 3.5 weeks was enough! Put the dogs out back, took my walker for a spin out front. Up and down the driveway, along the path to the red climber rose (in full bloom) back to driveway, along path down side of garage to gate to enter back yard. (Did not go in) Back to driveway, round and round, up and down. Felt SO GOOD to be outside!!! Meantime the dogs were going bonkers, so excited to see me out there. Not one bark, just big smiles and running back and forth. Came in after 25 minutes! Brought dogs in. Boy, am I going to feel that later tonight. Worth it! Oh, this morning I asked PT about going out for a walk on the driveway: "We can work on that next week." Uh, DONE! She did say I am good to go out with friends for lunch etc.

Flex is still 65, extension 6. This is my driving leg, I need to get this ROM going. I think moving instead of moping may be the answer just now.
 
I hope you didn't over do it. It took me three days to get over my first outside adventure! But, yes it was worth it! That first step outside is a touch of freedom that no one can understand unless they've been there.
 
I prepped both thermoses for the cryo cuffs as I knew both knees would need icing.

I haven't been posting much. Between on here and the 3 support pages on Facebook, I was getting overwhelmed with everyone who is having serious issues. So I have stayed off all 4 places other than periodic updates. It was really getting to me. I know this means I have not been supportive of others on here. Apologize for that. Just couldn't keep reading.
 
Sounds like your time outside with the dogs was therapeutic.
 
In home PT again this morning. I am 4 weeks post op today. Flex was 60 on my own. Then she did 15 minutes of massage, to help reduce swelling. Flex was 70 on my own! We were both trying to remember what I had for ROM on left, I will go check my other recovery thread. She wasn't able to get my prior record up on her laptop.

edit: looks like I am almost the same, slightly behind in flex. At this point, it was 85 on my own, without the massage. Forgot to put extension of 4, and at this point was 7 on left. So that is much better.
To make this more clear, at the 4 week point:
ROM -- -- Left -- -- Right
Flex -- - -- 85 -- -- 70
Exten -- -- 7 -- -- 4

With the left, then my Dad died, and my extension dropped back to 68. I made that up again in about a week.
end of edit.

I have reached out to the massage therapist I saw for the left, and trying to arrange some sessions. Since I am not driving and dependent on another person, trying to line up 3 schedules is proving to be a challenge. My schedule is not really the issue, as I just have the 3 in home PT sessions a week. Rest of the time, I'm here and available to go.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom