TKR Freedom's right knee<

Photos from today. Both knees are swollen. Right (the 'newer' one) I can bend to 75, on my own. Extension is -4.

In home PT still comes 3 x week. Yesterday, I was lying on the bed, pillow under knee and I had to raise the lower part of the leg. Did 5; I'd also done 5 on Monday. Then she surprised me! Removed pillow and asked me to try a straight leg raise. HA! Sweat, concentration, I got the heel off the bed by 4 inches / 10 cm, held for her count of 2 (she was trying for 5) and had a somewhat controlled drop to the bed ha haaa. And that was it, done. I was exhausted from doing ONE.

I can use the cane in the house, but need the walker outside. And I have a friend coming to take me out at lunch, first time out since I came home from rehab (support network is not my strong suit for sure, I know this). I still need the leg lifter to get in and out of the tub for showers, in and out of the bed. I need the leg lifter more at the end of the day than in the morning, which makes sense.

Since this right is my driving leg, I am stuck here. With the left, I started driving at this time post op. Not a chance, for this knee. I am down about this.

I ice and elevate. I walk around the house doing what needs to be done - let dogs in and out a thousand times a day, get my meals, get myself washed and dressed. And tomorrow I have the muscular massage therapist coming to the house to start that. She will come 1.5 hours after PT. She advised me to ice and elevate post PT for 45 to 60 minutes. Then she will start working on the leg for swelling. (She is certified to work with the lymph system.) We have 2 appts set for next week both after PT as well, and by then she - massage - will be able to make a recommendation for how often she should come, to help me get to driving independence. At this point, I am behind where I was with the left.

I see my OS for the first time at the 6 weeks post op - July 12.

I just don't know what else I can do! I really think this is just a matter of time with my body, based on how things went with the left. Patience - if you have any extra, send it my way.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160630_094014 (Small).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 174
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160630_094058 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 175
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160630_094132 (Small).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 170
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160630_094141 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 174
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160630_094146 (Small).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just one day behind you and miss jumping in my car and going somewhere. Of course, with the energy drain there's really no where I want to go. Just want the freedom to do so if I want to! I'm still using my shower chair to get in and out of the shower. I can lift my leg just fine onto the bed now. That was new just this past week. Every little thing I do wears me out. I had two busy days in a row and now I'm paying for it with discomfort and lack of sleep. God is definitely trying to teach us patience and I'm a bad student!
 
I was able to drive about 6 weeks after my RTKR. It's a huge chunk of downtime when you're used to independence! Call on friends, neighbors, uber.
 
@Freedom we can all relate to your frustration, I also had right knee tkr and I know I will not be driving any time soon, the only place I have gone to since surgery was OS office on Tuesday, my husband offered to take me to breakfast, but I just don't have the energy.

I know soon things will be much better for you, I'm sorry I can't send you any of my patience, I'm running low myself, lol. I can send you positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
 
Hey many thanks to you, all 3, for posting! I feel better, knowing I'm not in this alone lol. Since my quad took an extended vacation on this second surgery, that is going to slow my recovery a bit; how much remains to be seen.
 
At one month out I think you are onto something here:
I really think this is just a matter of time with my body, based on how things went with the left. Patience - if you have any extra, send it my way.
When I quit hyper-focusing on my recovery, just relaxed, rested and let it happen- it's like, it took off-!!
 
I do think our mental attitude plays a large role in healing! What you say makes sense to me. Now, if I could only stop hyper focusing! LOL
 
I do think our mental attitude plays a large role in healing!
Don't I know it Freedom! I just went through a few weeks of complete terror when my surgeon suggested an MUA to me because of my lack of flexion. I left that discussion so full of fear I became nauseated. For the next two weeks I took a more positive look at gentle PT exercises and gained FORTY DEGREES in flexion. My surgeon took the MUA off the table and here I am 2-days later in complete joy!!
 
@Suz that is fantastic! I do wonder if I should just quit PT; For now it is in home, and I will keep it. See OS on July 12. Forty degrees in 2 weeks, wow. I will say, the time was right. If you had tried that fcloser to the surgery I don't think it would have happened. Gotta run, PT coming in half an hour.
 
I'm one that believes you will recover just fine without PT. Just using your knee in your daily life recovers it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And, I do not plan to go to outpatient PT this time. With my left knee, it took a good 3 weeks for folks on here (@Josephine @kneeper and others ) to convince me the PT was hindering my recovery. Once I made the leap and stopped, I calmed down, and I did see improvement. I will go that route now, gladly. I'm a convert to the bonesmart way!

I have not seen my surgeon post op yet, he does his first review at the 6 weeks mark, that will be the July 12 appt for me. This is part of why I will keep the inhome PT for now.

One of the things I worry about, @sistersinhim, is if I stop the inhome PT service now, and then develop a problem with the knee, will my health insurance cover whatever, or will they say I did not follow doctor's orders and so now I am not covered. I am pretty specific with my home therapist about what we will and will not do together, so I feel it is worth having the service for now. She has come online to look at bonesmart once already (that I know of, she may have come on more). We discussed it so much, and after she had been on here she said to me, "I didn't see anything different about what they are saying to do. Ankle pumps, gentle stretches, a few heel slides here and there, straight leg lifts. I just didn't find where they discusses what you would do in PT." Ha haa, I had to say, yet again, you won't find it on there; they don't believe PT is necessary. OH! That time, she GOT it. She is the same woman I worked with in Feb and Mar, with my left knee. You may not recall, but I did not even allow her to touch me for her first 9 visits! Nothing to do with bonesmart at that point; I was just so freaked out by the whole surgery and wouldn't let ANYONE touch my leg. So she has seen me through a lot and I feel we have a good rapport.

I am going to work with the massage therapist to help reduce swelling, mainly because I live alone and not driving is quite a hardship. (And, I haven't seen anything yet, here on bonesmart, to say the massage is not helpful but definitely a hindrance.) There are no transport services in my area. I am too young to qualify for the elder services (I called), even the senior center won't accept me (I tried), so I would have to use taxis. The nearest bus stop is 2.5 miles from my home. If I could walk that, I suspect I could drive! And I have a week to nonexistent support network. So if the massage will assist getting me driving sooner, I'll do it. It is not covered by insurance, but since I won't be paying for the outpatient PT, I'll direct the funds that way.

With the left knee, at this point I had stopped the pet sitter. With this right knee, I still have them coming in once a day, mainly to scoop the 9 cat litter boxes. I am not steady enough on my feet to be able to do it. One or 2 boxes I could do but not the 9. And this is related to the muscle weakness I have encountered this time around; it was not a factor with the left / first knee. So there is more money going out, which I need to address. If the massage will help get me up and moving to the point I can use the leg more, thus building up strength, and so cut the pet sitter, then again I feel it worth the expense.
 
It sounds like you and your home PT has a really good understanding. I don't blame you for keeping on with it. I wish I could afford a massage therapist. It would probably help a lot in this recovery.

How many cats do you have? I am a rescuer and have 11 right now. I use storage tubs for litter boxes and have to clean them at least once a day. I have one in my bathroom for my 20 year arthritic girl, which I clean whenever anyone uses it. If I'm going to use the potty anyway it's no problem to scoop at the same time.

I pray you get your strength back really quickly. It is so nice to be a little bit more independent now and I wish that for you!
 
I too was involved in rescue; TNRM. I had 11 cats at one time, now down to 8.

Well, this is embarrassing. Massage therapist arrived and . . . I have never seen this person before! I misremembered the name! Since the person who came is not certified in the lymph system, I did not want a service from her. She directed me to her colleague, now I have to start all over with phoning, setting times, etc. ARGH!
 
What an aggravation! Why didn't they tell you that in the first place.
 
And, I do not plan to go to outpatient PT this time. With my left knee, it took a good 3 weeks for folks on here (Josephine, kneeper and others) to convince me the PT was hindering my recovery. Once I made the leap and stopped, I calmed down, and I did see improvement. I will go that route now, gladly. I'm a convert to the bonesmart way!
Jolly good!
One of the things I worry about, sistersinhim, is if I stop the inhome PT service now, and then develop a problem with the knee, will my health insurance cover whatever, or will they say I did not follow doctor's orders and so now I am not covered.
Don't tell them! It's nobody's business but yours.
I am going to work with the massage therapist to help reduce swelling. (And, I haven't seen anything yet, here on bonesmart, to say the massage is not helpful but definitely a hindrance.)
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Post-op swelling isn't like lympoaedema. It's reactive swelling and I'm not hugely convinced that massage will help.
 
Will wonders never cease? After spending all morning in bed gearing myself up (typical for me), at 11 AM I got up, got dressed, got in the car and went!

First stop, Dunkin Donuts for a yummy coolatta. Second stop, car inspection sticker (it expired May 31, surgery was June 1, and I hadn't noticed I needed to get one pre op!) Then off I went, same as first knee, on the open highway and just drove, enjoying my freedom!

Huge hurdle, as many of you know. I think I am past the worst and ready to move on with my life! Slowly for awhile yet, but onward! I still can't get out of any of my outdoor chairs, so can't sit outside yet. Still have pet sitter coming in once a day to scoop litter boxes. And have not even tried the cellar stairs to do my own laundry. It will come. Being able to take myself out to stores, appointments, that is a HUGE step!!! I have 3 appointments coming up: first post op check with OS, 6 months dental cleaning, and the massage visit. I did already arrange rides for all 3, will cancel those friends later this weekend. Want to I see how I get on.

Jolly good!
Don't tell them! It's nobody's business but yours.
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Post-op swelling isn't like lympoaedema. It's reactive swelling and I'm not hugely convinced that massage will help.

Interesting, I will do some online reading. I know if felt wonderful with the first knee. I went twice, first time it lasted 2 hours, second time was 9 hours with NO swelling. This second knee, I have 3 'bubbles' of swelling around the knee cap, did not have that last time. Knee looks very odd, misshapen. I've tried a few times, can't seem to capture it with a camera. PT therapist has noticed and commented on it as well.

As for the 'don't tell them, ' re stopping in home PT, the insurance company knows as they pay for it. If I stop, they have the reports and see that I stopped going as they did not get any further bills. Bit different than last time when I stopped and didn't tell the OS, lol. And you know you took ages to convince me on that! Anyway, now that I am driving, I won't qualify for inhome (you have to be house bound) so that is one issue I don't have to address.

Time for a rest after my WONDERFUL ADVENTURE! Ha haaa.
 
I'm so happy for you...great adventure I can't wait until I can get in my car and take off!!!
 
Yippee, Freedom has new found freedom! I'm afraid to try driving yet since it's my right leg. Sometime this weekend I am going to try it!
 
@sistersinhim I did ask my in home PT therapist yesterday, what do we need for driving (this second knee is my right, also). She said you don't need a 90 bend, which I thought you did. But when she 'simulated' sitting in the car on my kitchen chair, I realized the bend is very minimal!

So today I gave it a try, just got in and sat in the car, see how my foot would move from pedal to pedal. I actually rotate my foot from my heel most of the time, so that was encouraging! Whenever you decide to try, just be cautious and try things out while you are just sitting, before you even start the car.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom