TKR Freedom's right knee<

Freedom, I am so sorry you are going through this. I remember you from your last surgery. You and I were just a day apart. I sure hope you can find someone to fix that left knee. You can sure see it's not right.
 
My right knee goes in slightly---my doc told me that a 5 degree difference was acceptable ( to whom, I wonder???) I was very upset as well when I realized it, but decided to work on my quads and to build up my leg muscles. While you are waiting to talk to a doc, maybe you can get some extra pt to make sure your quads are fully supporting your legs. Once my quads were more developed, the knee looked a little better. I would do anything to avoid more surgery, myself .
 
I don't have any advice for you @Freedom but want to wish you luck.
 
Thank you @sistersinhim @skigirl and @kneeper .

I have an appt with the hip surgeon in about 5 hours; and with the knee surgeon on Mar 19th.

Skigirl, more pt won't help. My weight is not going straight down on my leg, due to the improper alignment. This is causing my ankle to turn in, and stressing ankle, foot, back and side.
 
Saw hip surgeon. He palpated, manipulated, then had xrays of both knees and the one hip. All looks fine. He agreed the left knee is swollen, has run some blood work to rule out infection. Gave me the xrays on disc, for the appt w/ the knee surgeon. He determined that the right leg is shorter, gave me a heel lift to place in my right shoe, and my left leg straightened noticeably. He thinks this is the solution, and that my increase activity has irritated the left knee, causing the swelling. I could use with a slight bit more elevation in the right heel, but he was out of the next size up. I do feel much relieved!

The heel lift is just a piece of foam. Seems to me that will flatten and wear out in no time! So will research what is available. Here is a link to what he gave me: https://www.alimed.com/hapad-horseshoe-heel-pads.html
 
Last edited:
That sounds like a simple solution! I pray it works for you!
 
Thank you. Yes, I do think it is too simple. However, I was very worked up going in, and much calmer walking out 45 mins later. Now to wait for the 19th, and discuss w/ the knee man. Still convinced that there is something amiss with this left knee.

And the heel lift is not helpful when I am at home w/o shoes - like now, getting ready for bed for the night, and my 3 AM bathroom trip.
 
Today I saw the knee surgeon. Reviewed xrays, discussed, then he ordered more xrays. And now we think we know the source of my issue: scoliosis! And arthritis in my spine, which it also seems has progressed. First image is from 9-12-2015. Second image is from today - 3-19-2018.

I asked him if I should see a back surgeon. He said I can but as my back is not bothering me just now - only my knee, ankle, foot, and side! -- it is unlikely they will do anything.

Also, it has been 2 weeks (tomorrow) since I saw the hip surgeon and received the heel lift. My left knee was barely swollen today vs. 2 weeks back when it was clearly extremely swollen. Suggesting that perhaps the lift helps. Today the knee surgeon said my left leg is now longer, which can also be seen in today's pelvic image.

Just not sure WHAT I am to do at this point. Ah, isn't it lovely ageing!

Edit - Came back to add: these 2 images are from the same office, same position, same xray tech.

Edit again. I was reviewing my hip pre op post, and on page 4, my post #65 shows the hospital pelvic xray pre op, I do not see this scoliosis??? Here is a link:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/groin-pain-can-be-from-hip-really.39626/page-4

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<


[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
And now we think we know the source of my issue: scoliosis! And arthritis in my spine
Scoliosis is a form of arthritis.
I was reviewing my hip pre op post, and on page 4, my post #65 shows the hospital pelvic xray pre op, I do not see this scoliosis???
You can't because the xray is cut off and only a rather fuzzy bit of the sacrum is shown. None of the spine.
I asked him if I should see a back surgeon. He said I can but as my back is not bothering me just now - only my knee, ankle, foot, and side! -- it is unlikely they will do anything.
I don't agree on either of those statements. If you are having problems with knee, ankle and foot, those are, upon informed reflection, almost certainly resulting from the scoliosis. I think you would do well to consult a spinal orthopaedic surgeon. There are procedures that can be done to shore up a scoliosis such as rodding. And in the post-op image, it looks plenty bad enough to benefit from something like that. Your symptoms will be emanating from unstable intervertebral joints which can be stabilised with rods and screws covering 2, 3 or 4 such joints. It's worth looking into, don't you think?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom