Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom's right knee<

I am so sorry for the agony you had to go through. Someone needs to be held accountable for this terrible blunder!
 
Not trying to be nosy, but why did you opt for rehab if you could go home???
 
No way I could go home. I live alone with 8 cats and 5 small dogs, and a weak to nonexistent support network. Also, I make a terrible patient, moaning and fussing. I need more than 2 days to be confident on my own.
 
My quad must be waking up. It jumps or jerks and that pulls the knee cap up in a sharp quick motion. If I am lying on my back it hurts. Anyone find a way to ease the quad?
 
@Freedom I totally understand now...you will need the extra TLC for a little whike...feel better soon!!!
 
Is your pain being managed now? You sure went through a terrible time of it for a while!
 
I sure hope you are doing better now and getting the pain relief you should have had from day one.

Bet you can't wait to get home to all your fur babies. It won't be long!
 
First PT this morning -- she woke me from a sound sleep at 7:30am! And she didn't even bring coffee!

She needed to see me get out of bed, we took my walker for a short walk, then I sat in the chair. She checked my strength: hand under foot and I pushed, hand on instep and I lift, can't recall ever thing. I did fine until the last one. My quad is not firing at all. Flex 53 extention 12, similar to left in January. She also noted leg very swollen -- also similar to left.

She told me to get up take that short walk, sit in chair for 20 minutes, about every hour and a half.

All done by 8 am, breakfast arrived at 8:45. Going to be a long day.
 
Well day went quickly. Half hour after breakfast I had a shower. Then a short rest, lunch, and nap time. Slept 3 hours. I forgot how low stamina is post op.

I will have to get in and out other side of bed at home. That will upset the dogs ha ha.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pain is managed well. Lots of swelling. Leg like lead, have a thing like a stiff dog leash, that I use to move the leg. Have to get just the right position to put weight on it. Once balanced, I use walker with most of my weight on my arms as I take a step with right surgery leg. I think left has swollen in sympathy haha.
 
DO NOT sit in a chair for 20 min!!! What is she thinking??? you did not have lung surgery, you had knee surgery---if you sit for 20 min with your leg down, it will swell. What a terrible idea.
 
That is to prevent blood clots and /or pneumonia. I forgot which.

Had PT this morning tired now.
 
^I think getting up and walking a little and doing your ankle pumps should cover that. You can be sure to take deep breaths in and out every hour or so to help prevent pneumonia. I had a spirometer in the hospital to do that.
 
I woke in time for lunch, ha ha.

Had a Spiro meter both times, never used it, this time I left it at the hospital.

This morning PT had me warm up with a walker spin, then I sat in the chair, feet flat on floor. She put her hand under my foot and gently lifted, maybe an inch. The movement was at the hip, I can't move the knee (see below). So she did this once or twice then said let's do 10. Somewhere along the way she stopped helping and I was able to keep it going! After a break, she got me started with one and had me do 5 more, on my own. So the quad is coming along

I have pain around the knee which is really preventing me putting ANY weight on the foot. One particular pain on inside of leg, starts at knee and shoots down about 6 inches, (definitely not longer than that ) wrapping towards the frontthat one prevents me moving bending the knee even a little bit. Even in bed. I have to use the leg lifter to get the leg in a position which does not hurt in bed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am feeling the same way when trying to lift my leg. The leg lifter goes with me everywhere I go! In the hospital when the knee was still numb, I could lift my leg. Now, because of pain I can't. But, since I did lift it in the hospital I know my quads are firing and when the pain diminishes I'll be able to lift it again!
 
PT, OT and a shower all before lunch! I slept all afternoon.

After my shower, the nurse said I have to wear TEDS compressionsocks so I now have them on BOTH legs. And I am to wear them around the clock! Never had them with the first leg,weird feeling. I have them for swelling. My OS uses 325 mg aspirin twice a day to prevent clots.
 
I unfortunately :heehee: had an accident with my stockings as soon as I got home. They annoyed me so much I couldn't stand wearing them. However I was up and walking around fairly frequently to make sure that I did not get any clots. I was taking aspirin the first surgery but was on a blood thinner the second time.
 
Are they the ones with a hole in the foot or of a different style? Mine were very uncomfortable and they only put them on me when I was going home. I need to find something that work but aren't too warm.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom