TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@patient 99 Wishing you all the best at your appointment tomorrow Carol. I hope you get the answers that you are looking for. Please keep us in the loop on what the outcome is! xox
 
@Dabber @robynhood Well I never. Really good to hear from the old gang. Pat hoping your TKR is continuing to improve. Sue, hope you are continuing to get out and about and that you have been `otherwise occupied' in a nice way. x Carol
 
Do you mean Cagney & Lacey ?

Dearest Sweetness

Yes, but I needed something beginning with an S to match the S in Sweet. I'm an artist don't you know (there's a joke in there beginning with a P).


Both my knees hurt & I was so hot ( not in the
Sexy sense of the word )

:snork::snork::snork::snork:

Then you gotta try harder.


The moral of my story is....I don't live in the "Promised Land":catbutterfly:I only rent space.

<smile> I know what you mean. Thanks for sharing and I really really hope those knees don't give you any more trouble.

Now unless it had escaped your attention I've a man to see <wink>. xx Carol
 
VISIT TO OS 8 JULY


INVESTIGATION: First off he asked how my knee was prior to surgery. I explained that it had been OK, but two severe pain attacks prompted my visit to the OS, where he diagnosed bone on bone hence the TKR.
He examined my Xrays. Prosthesis looked good. He said it wasn't the type he would use, but that was just a matter of preference. He then felt my knee to see if it was unduly hot (checking for signs of low grade infection). It wasn't. He asked if I was allergic to anything (checking for metal allergy). I said No. Then on to questions to do with pain. I explained I had no pain/discomfort when off my feet. That I got a lot of discomfort when walking. That it felt like I had a tourniquet around my knee. I was then led to a bed where he checked how flexible my knee cap was. He said it felt good. He checked my bend. NOT GOOD. Only around 100/0. He asked me to walk for him. It showed I had no limp. He said he didn't use MRI scans because of the metal. He did a CT scan. From the CT scan, questions and examination he said the problem was EXCESSIVE SCAR TISSUE.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. He outlined the options 1. MUA 2. open surgery to remove scarring 3. keyhole surgery to remove scarring . He said all of them came with a high risk of making things worse. The reason being that if a patient is prone to excessive scarring all 3 options could result in new scarring forming.

CONCLUSION. He said given that I didn't have pain, but chronic discomfort. That my bend was above 90/O. That I didn't have a limp, didn't need a stick or pain meds, that he didn't want to do anything now. He said there was a reasonably good chance that given more time the scarring would decrease on its own. At the same time I would get more used to how it was. I asked about more PT. He was somewhat indifferent. He didn't say as much but I got the impression he thought it was a bit of a waste of time. He did however say that I should live as full and active a life as possible. He said any improvements from now on would be incredibly slow. For this reason he said he would see me again in 5 months time. If things had improved, the waiting would have been worth it. If things had not improved or got worse then we would need to review the options.

HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT. I've mixed feelings - pleased that there is a chance that I might not need further surgery. Sad because I have to continue living with chronic discomfort and uncertainty. The goal posts have been moved yet again. I am nearly 17mths post op, by the time the OS sees me again I will be 22 mths post op. When I look back at some of my early BS posts, and I asked how long will this take, I never imagined I would still be asking the same question at this stage of the game. I have to get on with it. I have no other choice. So come tomorrow I will dry my tears and put my best foot forward.

POSTSCRIPT I Never could have coped without the kindness, help and support (and love (Diana)) that Bonesmart has given me. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Carol
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
It sounds like you received a thorough Exam by your new O.S. You have a diagnosis & a
Plan to move forward. I'm sorry your goal - posts keep moving :sad: Waiting for results is no fun,
Neither is "Having to live with it" I hope you receive some posts from folks who have had M.U.A.
I am sure you will :)
I guess I'll have to come up with 5 months of vegetable jokes to keep you entertained :heehee:
We will be here for you :friends:The "Promised Land" awaits for each & Everyone of us,
No matter how long it takes us to get there :catbutterfly:
Chin Up :console2:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@skigirl had excessive scar tissue

Hi @skigirl I've just been diagnosed as having excessive scar tissue (post no. 1965 gives details). My OS wants to play a wait and see game in the hope that the scarring will reduce on its own. I wondered how it was for you both before and after scar removal. Carol
 
Dear Carol,
What a day of mixed emotions for you.
It sounds as though it was a very thorough exam and a good consultation.
You have got answers and a plan but not what you would have wanted or hoped for.
I hope that the waiting pays off and that things settle of their own accord.
It is good that you have a follow up appointment and that he will look again at further options if things don't settle.
I'm sending you a big hug and a huge bunch of your favourite flowers to cheer you up,
Love Toothfairy xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
First of all I imagine you will be glad you saw him and maybe in your heart of hearts you knew he might say this. Having said that it's so dispiriting finding the way forward is the path you've already been on and you've got to continue to trudge along.
My heart goes out to you as I know you'll be disappointed, and will have many mixed emotions.
Hugs from me too.
Much love,
Sue xx
 
I know you'll be disappointed,

Hi Sue, I know you will understand better than most what I'm going to say. Just knowing what the problem is makes it easier. I can't tell you how many posts and articles I have read just trying to find out what is going on. Wondering if I am doing this, that or the other right or wrong. Even now I ask myself if I had done things differently in the early days eg, less PT/different PT etc. would things have been different.

Today I feel better than I have for a long time. My attention has shifted from `what is happening to me' to `you know what's wrong, now start coping'. This is made easier for me because I have always been able to step back from the chronic discomfort. All I had to do was sit down or lie down. Its much much harder for those who don't have that luxury.

It seems like we humans are wired to survive, and more than that to get on and make the best of what ever it is we have got. You are a shining example of that. Take care and thanks for checking in on me. Carol
 
I am so glad you got some answers. It sounds like your new OS has a good plan and I am glad he could tell you what was causing your problem. Here is hoping the next five months show improvement for you!
 
Carol, so glad you got some answers and you're now able to move forward, albeit slowly, with a plan. You're right about humans being wired to survive and you have done an exemplary job at persisting and finally seeing an OS who confirmed what you suspected was going on . We should change your name to Dr. Carol, or would it be Ms. Carol in the UK.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately and I don't always get alerts, but you have definitely been in my thoughts. Will pm you soon. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Eh-em! :skep: I DO know Bobby Womack, thank you very much! Seriously though, sad news. My mom passed at 70, (three score and ten... Google it Carol :)
Sorry to hear about your knee still acting up. If it makes you feel any better my right knee still acts up, and stiffer than my left knee at times. it also has less bend, but I discover that is due to my back problems. I have a tilted pelvic bone I need to have adjusted from time to time. Too much Reggae and Merengue I guess. :heehee:

I hope everything went well yesterday. I forgot all about trying the "tape." Guess I'll get some before school starts back and see. We'll get there EVENTUALLY Carol. "Baby steps to the elevator." That's from the movie "What About Bob." That was a freebie Carol, I wanna give Google a break. Lol
 
@patient 99
Good Morning Carol :wave:
What do you call a Vegetable in the middle of the Street ?
Answer.... a Squash....:rotfl::loll::rofsign::rotfl::loll::rofsign:
I've got a million of them, at least 5 months worth :heehee:
Carol,
I am ordering you to go out & do something Fun :happydance:Today. You need to keep busy
Until your next appointment. Could you have Mike take you on an exotic vacation ?
Thinking of you :friends:
Sending all the Love I can :loveshwr::loveshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr:
Diana :)
 
I DO know Bobby Womack

Hi Raqia,
I would have been disappointed if you didn't . I know he was before your time, but his influence is legend. I was stuck in a traffic jam the other day. There was a big music festival on. To pass the time I rolled down the car window to ask the kids passing by who was headlining and what was happening. One cheeky lad said Oh its a music festival, with drugs and its very naughty, do you want to join us (in a patronizing voice). I replied `my generation invented sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, so if that's all that's happening I'd be bored, so I'm off'. I put my foot down hard and flew into the sunset. That will teach these young ones :loll:.


I have a tilted pelvic bone I need to have adjusted from time to time. Too much Reggae and Merengue I guess.

Sounds like a price worth paying:wink:

Hope your returning to school works OK this time. I have always thought it was too much to expect anyone to go back to work so soon after major surgery. So you take it steady.

Mike is away on business right now, and tomorrow my sister's husband wont be around at all. So its girls day out. These are my favourite days - better than holidays. So my knee can just go and look after itself.

How are your boys? Does your youngest board at the college? If so, you probably miss him.

That was a freebie Carol, I wanna give Google a break.

Phew, at last a break for me too. Its hard work keeping up with The Street. xx Carol

ps the DVD `House of Cards' starring Kevin Spacey is brilliant. If you have the time watch it. Only draw back is that only the first 2 series are currently available.
 
a Squash...
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hi Diana

If I was even half sane this stuff wouldn't make me laugh.

Could you have Mike take you on an exotic vacation

He would at the drop of a hat. But do I really want to go???????????? Queuing at airports, not enough leg room, lost luggage, too hot when you get there, too many mosquitoes. Alternatively, too cold or wet or too something. Instead I'm looking forward to some fun tomorrow. My sister and I will hit the shops, have a few drinks, talk none stop followed by a nice lunch - Perfect.

What floats your boat? ie, is there any where you would particularly like to visit/do. Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom