Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a knee sleeve on occasion. Most of the time I don't. I just like to complain some. :oyvey::heehee: It is really hot here in Florida and it makes the knee perspire when I wear one. :groan:
 
Hi Carol,
Just wanted to stop by and tell you, I took the tape off yesterday, my knee and skin wanted a break, so far to good.
It has helped with my healing, going to put it on again tomorrow after swimming.

You asked how come the knee sleeve helps you so much? It increases sensory imput with the compression. During our knee replacement nerves get cut (that numb area) and maybe your ligaments the ACL and PCL depending on your surgery. Causing less sensory input, add your knee sleeve with compression, and sensory input is increased, allowing your muscles to work better. My best guess is your knee is more stable with the knee sleeve with all the extra sensory input. Look at all the athletes you see wearing compression clothing, it improves their performance with increased sensory input.
Following that logic we must be athletes!:heehee:

And it appears the knee sleeves makes @daughter stalker sweat like an athlete.
We are all athletes!
:biking::fasthorse::hiking::horseriding::swim::tennis2::treadmill::walking::surfer::running::climb:
 
@patient 99
Hi Carol :wave:
I seem to be posting less & less, This is a good thing :happydance:This is a big Holiday in U.S...
Fourth of July..Independence Day....problem is it's so Hot & Muggy so, here I sit in my A.C.
I'm afraid I won't be going out much :sad: I might melt. :ice:
Get your list ready for your appointment, thinking good thoughts for you :friends:
Hope everything works out,
@Pumpkln says we are all Athletes, so let's get moving...:swim: :tennis: :treadmill: :upright:
:walking:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Carol, How are you doing anyhow. Prepared with all your questions for your second opinion. I've been thinking of you but I've been on a roller coaster ride (emotionally) got the last two weeks. After getting back from road trip to Wi, got word that my sister in Iowa had passed away. Was all set to fly there but decided not to go because my daughter was having surgery. She stayed with us until yesterday, now we have 4th of July coming up.

Have you tried the tape yet? I tried it once and it really seemed to help. Must try it again. Knee is doing okay but it took me a good week to recover from the road trip. Hugs and Bugs Dorothy
 
I seem to be posting less & less, This is a good thing


Hi Diana, Its bound to happen. Its the natural way of things. The exceptions are those willing and able to become part of the BS team. That's a big commitment. But for sure you have what it takes to take on that role. But don't even think of going any where until after 8 July.

Yes I'm all ready for my appointment on the 8th. But I am trying to play it cool. I've built my hopes up in the past when I've gone to see the OS only to come away with nothing very much. The good news is that since I've decided to throw caution to the wind, and where the knee sleeve all the time, things are more comfortable. So whilst not ideal, if this was the best it got, I can function.

Going back to what you were saying about posting less and less, what then are you doing more and more of? Prior to my surgery I had a part time job and I used to go dancing twice a week. No job now and dancing isn't the pleasure it used to be. You are lucky that you have your job. I've thought long and hard about what I could do that I'd find interesting - so far nothing. I'm a qualified counsellor, but I've been away from it now quite a long time. So one thing I have been thinking about is doing a refresher course. Not for anything other than I'd find it interesting and I'd get to meet a whole lot of new people. I could practice on YOU :eyebrows: Got any problems Diana? No matter if you haven't, you can always make something up <chuckle>.

How do you celebrate the 4th of July? Will all the family be there? You could have a cook out. Carol
 
just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope all is well!

Woman, are you out of your mind????? It may have slipped your memory but you have a TKR scheduled for TOMORROW. This is NOT about me (for a change). I wish you all the very best for tomorrow. You will walk it. You are that kinda gal. xx Carol
 
Woman, are you out of your mind????? It may have slipped your memory but you have a TKR scheduled for TOMORROW. This is NOT about me (for a change). I wish you all the very best for tomorrow. You will walk it. You are that kinda gal. xx Carol

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: OMG you make me smile! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
 
I've been on a roller coaster ride

Hi Dorothy, You certainly have. Were you very close to your sister? And what's the problem with your daughter? I am so sorry to hear about all this. Sometimes it must seem like there is no end. What about you? you feeling alright despite everything??

Christmas can be a real ordeal for people where its mandatory that they are happy happy happy when they are absolutely not. Is your 4th July anything like that? If you think its just going to be more stress you could just pretend its the 5th of July and all the happy happy stuff was yesterday. Hugs and bugs Carol
 
You asked how come the knee sleeve helps you so much?

Hi Chris, I get the bit about how the compression sleeve provides extra support, and therefore improves how the knee feels, less sure about the increased sensory inputs and their role in helping to improve comfort. I would have thought that would lead to my knee being MORE uncomfortable. For example if an area of the body is numb and as such there is no sensory feeling, it doesn't hurt. Its only when the numbness wears off and the sensory feeling returns that you get pain.

I've misunderstood you haven't I? Carol
 
less sure about the increased sensory inputs and their role in helping to improve comfort.
We have a sense called proprioception, or position sense, knowing where you body is in space, without having to look at the body part. Think of when you are walking, you do not have to look at your feet to know how to walk, or where to put your foot each step.
When ACL, PCL and other nerves are cut, the nerves that conduct position sense are cut too. With less information your muscles do not work as well at modulating the contraction, stronger weaker, or firing at the right time, and so on. So your knee may be more unstable, because those muscles do not fire like they should just when you need the support.
The feed back system is impaired, which results in your motor control being impaired.
When you put the knee sleeve on you increase the sensory input, via compression, the sleeve moving on your knee, etc. Now our brain has more information, and can send more accurate signals to your muscles so they fire like they should, controlling your leg and knee, increasing stability, and you feel better. Another example, if your glasses are covered with grease, you can still see, but would you drive safely? NO, because you do not have all the information (feed back) you need to control the car accurately. This is what happens to your muscles when the nerves are cut for proprioception. Less information, less motor control.
I worked with an individual who had a stroke a long time ago, his proprioception was absent, he had full motor control, only when he could see his leg or arm. Otherwise his hand and arm would writhe through space, his brain was trying to figure out where in the world his hand or arm was. He often got it caught in the spokes of his wheel chair (not good) and other places it did not belong. When he could see it, his hand and arm had normal movement. We have numerous types of sensory receptors, pressure, hot, cold, proprioception, light touch, deep pressure, some keep track of muscle length, speed of change in muscle length, etc. These receptors are located throughout the body.
Hope that helps, our neurological system is very elegant, and complex, reaching every corner of our body, and monitoring every function.
 
Chris, thank you so much. I now understand perfectly. Gosh isn't it complex. Its a wonder anybody's knee recovers. I remember well a conversation I had with my OS. He said the prosthesis is a good fit, you have no infection and your ROM is acceptable. There is nothing else that can go wrong. At the time I believed him!

One more question (apart from do you want to cross the pond and be my PT <grin>). I have always thought that wearing my knee sleeve would hinder my knee's progress. In providing external support for my knee/muscles I was encouraging laziness ie, keeping my knee muscles weaker than they might otherwise be. So I have left the support off for as long as I could. I stopped this about 5 days ago. I thought to heck with it, it gives relief so I am taking it. What do you think? Wear it all the time because it gives some relief or only occasionally? Carol
 
Chris I have reread your post several times now. I think my last question to you shows that I don't `undertstand perfectly'. Is this right:- The sleeve doesn't hinder anything. It doesn't stop the muscles from doing what muscles should do. It simply provides a cover that enables the knee/brain thing to work as it was intended? If this is correct then wearing it all the time would seem to be fine? The only problem then would be cosmetic - it doesn't look nice when wearing a dress. Carol
 
@patient 99
Hi Carol :wave:
:wowspring:Is all I can say about @Pumpkln post, she is one amazing, intelligent woman.
We are sooooooo lucky to have her answer our questions & concerns :) I am off work until
Sunday :yes!: Thunder & lightning storms Today & Tomorrow:blackcloud:But, nice Saturday & Sunday :SUNsmile:
Then back to 90's & Muggy :shocked:I plan on going to the movies & out to eat lunch at a nice
Restaurant. Saturday, a little Beach day, I haven't had any sand in my britches for awhile :rotfl:
Then, some Strawberry Daiquir's with whipped cream & a cherry on top, with crushed Walnuts :martini:
& a Lobsta Roll.I will be frolicking in the "Promised Land":happydance::happydance::yahoo::yahoo:
Care to join me ? :friends:Are "Britches"& "Frolicking" British words ? Your starting to rub off on me :rofsign:
Love Ya,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr::roseshwr:
 
Hi Carol, it's almost second opinion time for you and anxious to hear how it goes. You asked about 4th of July here and yes, it's a really big deal here at Sweetgrass. We have family picnic tomorrow with fun and games for all, then Staycation over the weekend with pool games, Mexican potluck, bocce ball tournament, etc. It's always been one of my favorite holidays so in spite of having laryngitis, I'm looking forward to it. Have a great weekend. Do you have anything fun planned? Hugs and Bugs Dorothy:roseshwr:
 
Are "Britches"& "Frolicking" British words
I haven't had any sand in my britches for awhile

Yes britches is a british word (all your words are, its just that you rearrange them somewhat). As I understand it britches are knee length trousers often with buckles at the bottom, warn by men in the 17th century. But hey ho if you want to wear them, you go right ahead. I'm all for cross dressing and doing your own thing.

Which leads my nicely into `Frolicking'. Its been a while since I frolicked. I wouldn't mind doing it again. So YES I will definitely join you in the Promised Land about 8pm on Saturday. We'll have a riot.

ps: I was just pretending to be cool about the britches. So you might want to wear a frock for Saturday. C
 
@patient 99 I have been reading your thread and wanted to post and introduce myself. You are very funny and you have been through a lot.

I am very interested in what you find out next week. I will follow the upcoming posts. I hope you get some very satisfactory answers.
~~hopefaith
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom