• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Scarring is a complicated thing as there are several different types of it. Basically, 'scar' is a fibrous material which the body develops when there has been an injury or wound in the skin and/or deeper tissues. At its most basic, it is the matrix of new cells that binds the edges of a cut together. Once it's done it's job and sealed the wound, it settles down into a fine, thin line which is pliable and almost invisible.

Then you get the kind of scarring where an ordinary scar just goes on growing. It doesn't attach itself to anything but just grows like a bunch of grapes in odd places, varying in size from peanuts to grapes though mostly they are quite small. They're little more than nuisance value as a rule though if they get big, they can be unsightly.

Another abnormality that can occur in scars is the development of a keloid scar where instead of staying a nice fine almost invisible line, the scar develops into a dark brown and rather prominent bulging mass of tissue. This is more common in the Afro-Carribean population but it does sometimes occur in other groups.

Keloid scar.jpg

Adhesions are quite a different kind of thing. I have explained the how and why of it in detail in this article MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions. It's where structures like muscles and tendons that should be easily gliding past one another get stuck together and has nothing to do with the surgical scar.

something else I had noticed - in the last few days when I have been massaging Bio-Oil into the scar, I felt the beginnings of lumps up and down the scar line
I would venture to suggest that these bumps have actually been caused by the massaging - there is no need to massage scars as the body is usually very capable of dealing with them on its own. It's quite possible for the friction to cause an overgrowth of the fibrous tissue resulting in these nodules. This is why I always recommend that scars are left well alone.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosalita
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom