Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I haven't been on much lately

Hi Dorothy, no need to apologise. The good thing about BS is that you can pick it up and put it downs as the mood takes you. I think its great when people I talk to stick around, but that's me being selfish. Hope your daughter is OK after her surgery. Carol
 
@patient 99
How about a Staycation ? You know, you stay at home, put on some lovely music, A little
Nighty, some sensuous foods.. ( strawberries, chocolate syrup, Walnuts, champagne ) & a massage
For both of you :yahoo:
Excuse me Carol, I have to go find Jim..:wink: :rotfl: This floats my boat:capn:Once again, the spotlight
Is on me. Sorry :)
Have a Wonderful time with your Sister :martini:No Knee talk, Just Fun :cheers:
Love,
Diana :friends::loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me Carol, I have to go find Jim..:wink: :rotfl: This floats my boat:capn:Once again, the spotlight
Is on me. Sorry :)
:rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign::rofsign:


I believe in fairness (I do I do). You get the spotlight today and tomorrow and just because its you Saturday too.

So Miss Diana, what do you want to tell me. What inner secrets do you want to share with me ( and 10,000 others). I am not easily embarrassed so don't hold back - you've got until close of play on Saturday. I wont switch my lap top off.
 
Hello Carol I've only just found your thread. The title rang a bell with me! I had a TKR in Nov last year and the 'recovery' has been dreadful. When the swelling finally subsided I could see that the leg, from knee down, was crooked! I, too have now opted for a second opinion and will, hopefully, be going to The Horder Centre in Crowborough. Miles away from me, but seems a good option. I'm sorry to hear that your second opinion didn't really live up to your hopes. I hope things improve for you soon, soon, soon and not as long as 22 months! :whistle::fingersx:
 
I had a TKR in Nov last year and the 'recovery' has been dreadful

Hi Judlepip, nice to talk to you again. TKR recoveries seem to be a lucky dip - some of us recover quickly others are not so lucky. Are you in much pain now?

The thing about getting second opinions is a bit weird in little old England. All the OSs know each other. Its like a club. I might see the chap who did your knee, and you could just as easily see the chap who did mine. All your notes follow you. So I wonder is there really any point. Judlepip, I don't really mean to come across so cynical. These men are professionals, so perhaps when it comes to second opinions they do not let themselves become influenced by what the first OS had to say. I guess if in doubt think positive.

I wasn't disappointed with my second opinion. It was much the same as the original opinion. I've decided to take the view that they were both right rather than both wrong.

The Horder Centre is 3 mins away from me by car and 10 mins on foot. If you do go there let me know. If I can make it we could have a coffee (there's a nice cafe in the Horder). I've never met a Bonesmartie in the flesh.

BTW the Horder has an excellent reputation. I don't think my problems were down to the Horder in any way whatsoever. Carol
 
What do you feel about it all now Carol? I've had to pretty much sign away all responsibility to the consultant for my cancer.
 
You're on Carol. If I make it to The Horder, I'll definitely let you know. It would be great to meet! :elevate:
 
Hi Carol,
I am sorry that the second opinion did not give you answers but at least you know what is likely causing the issue and you now have a bit of a plan, however loose, to work with.

I do hope you find comfort soon. I can only imagine how frustrated you must feel. We are all here for you.

Chat soon!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all, I am 12 wks post op. I visited PT 3 days ago. She said I should be massaging over the TKR incision as well as lengthwise friction massage either side of the incision. She said firm massaging would help break up scar tissue. I've tried massaging gently and a little firmer. The result seems to be an increase in swelling. Not what I want. Has anyone tried this? Did it do any good?

Massage has also been recommended to me...I would recommend you get some training from your physio on exactly how to do it, how firm, etc, maybe even tape a session with your phone for reference! Also to be done when your tissues are warm and ice afterward. or you could even go to an experienced massage therapist that works with post op patients and they can include this as well as your normal body massage (good for the soul). I had a different surgery 7 years ago and booked a lymphatic drainage experienced massage therapist weekly for 6 weeks and cannot tell you the difference in pain and swelling she made. There are also some massage techniques that can be used to break up the scar tissue on the scar itself (more superficially based). I use the flats of my hands, knuckles, and almost work up a sweat doing my knee, always working toward the heart.
My sister just had a double mastectomy and ditto the weekly massage appointments. She has spacers in, and they cause her a notable amount of pain.

Also, one of the most soothing things for me is laying down and elevating my knee, on a wedge, getting the knee above my heart. I can almost feel the swelling go down, and it ALWAYS helps. I ice for the first ten minutes then just lay there and read.
Hang in, take care of yourself, breathe!!!
 
I hope this helps Carol

Thanks Diana, an informative article. Chris and Kelly also kindly gave me articles to read. I think, for now at least, I am going to try and put my knee issues to the back of my mind. It wasn't the outcome I hoped for, but it could be a lot worse. Continuing to dwell on it day in and day out, month in and month out can't be a good thing. So long as it doesn't get worse I can live with it.

You said that The Promised Land was a place you could visit even if you couldn't stay there all the time. That sounds OK. In fact it might be PERFECT. If you were there all the time you might start to take it for granted and stop appreciating it.

I visited PL today. A couple of glasses of wine, a nice lunch (mussels and chips) and a visit to a local art exhibition. I never thought about my knee at all. It wasn't until I got home that the discomfort took over. So all in all pretty good.:friends:
 
@new knee in June we encourage our members to give a link to any articles provided on the forum. Then we can know where and when the article was written. It looks like the one you quoted was on a doctor's website---so please be aware of copyright laws and give the article its provenonce
 
I love that. Visiting the Promsed land. We all need to take time to do that for ourselves! Good friends or family. Good food, good wine...heals the soul. Also AKA great diversion. Glad you went there, try and go back often!!!
 
@patient 99
Good Morning Sweetness,
I need a favor:beg:Could you please delete my article about scar tissue ? I was practicing
Cutting & pasting. I don't know how to do Links, or delete anything. I don't want to get in any
Trouble on Bone Smart :sad: Nor, Do I want any Copy Right laws broken :sorry:
Please help me make this right :beg:
Thank You,
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:I will be back with your vegetable riddle of the day, Later :friends:
 
@new knee in June , @patient 99 I was not trying to make life hard for you. We cannot delete posts. To establish a link for an article, just go up to the top line on your browser----right now, mine says bonesmar.org/forum/threads
and highlight the link. Copy and then paste it into your post.

Don't worry about the above post, but just use the links in future posts, if you would please! It is pretty easy to do, once you get used to it and it is actually easier than copying the whole post. Kelly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom