BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Bilateral changed to Single

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lea61, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Lea61

Lea61 member

United States United States
    Hi @Mojo333 ..... thank you for checking in. The PT also reminded me yesterday that I was 8 weeks post surgery, I hadn't even realized. I guess I stopped counting. I am doing well. I use one crutch and actually hold it opposite the unoperated leg because that side is not holding up so well. Lately, in the house, I find myself walking around unaided, either forgetting to use it or just forgetting where I left it!
    The PT is going well. They are very aware that I had revision surgery and are being cautious. They have also told me to not keep doing anything that causes pain. So far, the exercises/movements I'm doing there do not cause any discomfort. They found it funny when I told them that the only discomfort I feel during PT is the massage they do at the end. They told me that everyone always says that is the best part of therapy. I found it to hurt, so she is doing a more gentle massage (not that she was aggressive before but it just wasn't pleasant for me). I'll see the surgeon again at the end of the month.
    I also go to the gastro MD next week and will have to make an appt. to repeat the endoscopy soon. I think that issue has cleared but I will still need to be on the Prilosec for awhile longer.
    Thank you again and everyone else here, for your support.
    Hope you enjoyed the Holidays and wish you a Happy 2019.......

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy New Year to you!
    It sounds as though you're doing really well, Lea. I'm happy to read the news. Thanks for updating, we love to learn of the progress you're making. It's also inspirational to others who may be facing a revision. Forgetting the crutch and also where it is are good signs you don't need it. At least in the house.
    Wishing you the best at the gastroenterologist appointment next week. I hope the issue has resolved.
    A great weekend to you. Stay warm!
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh I'm so glad that you feel things are improving!
    Get that other bad hip gone shortly, tummy troubles under control...and by summer you'll be Golden!
    You know we will be right there cheering you on...
    Got to go easier this round, right?

Hope you have a great weekend!

4. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thank you so much @Layla and @Mojo333 ..... It's so very nice to come here and receive so much encouragement. I find it so helpful to read the experiences of others and know that I am not alone (in how I'm feeling or what I'm thinking, especially during those desperate times of anxiety) !
    Funny that you mentioned next summer @Mojo333 , because I have already been looking at places to go :SUNsmile: !! Haven't decided yet.
    Hope you have a good weekend.....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @Lea61! It was nice to read an upbeat report from you, that you are moving ahead with recovery, slowly but surely, and that your digestive issues are under control despite the need for continuing medication. That's great that you're able to ditch the cane sometimes inside, and soon you'll be strolling around inside and out (cautiously, of course) without any assistive aides. I think for both issues, time is your friend, and by the summer you'll feeling much, much better. Wonderful that you are looking at places to go, must be a great mood lifter to be able to look ahead to fun adventures with a fully healed body. Hurray for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi there @Barbaraj ....Just got back from updating myself on some of your posts. Glad to hear that you are doing well (other than when you over do it), but I guess even when that happens, the recovery from the ODI is not as long as in those earlier days post surgery ! How is your Dry January going? Still Dry? LoL
    I am happy to be doing better. I will actually be returning to work next month for a few weeks before my next surgery in March. Based on my taking disability leave in September, I have to go back within 6 months, which would be March. If I don't, they can (and will) terminate me (I can reapply later on ...how generous, right?). Anyway, my plan now is to go back in February and then go out again in March for my surgery and start disability over again. It will feel very strange going back after being out over 7 months (I had last summer off too!), especially since there is a sub covering what would have been my class, in my classroom. We tend to become very territorial over our classrooms, and I have been in mine for 18 years, so it feels like an extension of my own home, in a way (just with a different family) LoL! So, I'm not sure exactly what I will be doing when I return, but I know that they will keep me busy. Who knows, maybe I'll decide that I'm ready to retire (not that I know what I would do with myself, but I'll turn 62 in April).
    Anyway, enough of my rambling......I was happy to hear from you and especially happy that your recovery continues to go well......

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Happy Sunday, @Lea61! Wow, it sounds complicated with your employment situation, and I can appreciate that you need to time things such that you don't give 'em an excuse for letting you go BUT you are also able to get your physical needs attended to. Sounds like you've got it figured out and here's hoping that the second surgery will have far less drama and no complications! You will have to decide when is the right time to retire, but if you're still engaged and happy with your work, barring the physical problems you're dealing with now, then I'd say keep at it as long as you can.

I officially "retired" from fulltime work in my 50's, given my husband's horrific work schedule and some challenges with our youngest son which weren't getting met with two fully employed parents. However, I did start doing some private consulting work. It was strictly did part-time and, frankly, I loved it. I finally shuttered my business last year, as my husband was allegedly going to retire! I never made a ton of money, but did it more to stay active and involved in the working world while still having time to focus on our son. It was the right decision for me and I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be the best decision for YOU.

Hope hip is feeling strong and comfortable today, and you're able to have some good meals. I simply can't imagine recovering from hip surgery and dealing with another health issue at the same time. So glad to read that you're over the hump and things are definitely looking up for you--hurray!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thank you @Barbaraj ....I am definitely hoping for No drama or complications next time! I'll definitely know the warning signs going in, and I have to discuss with my gastro MD and OS about the use of meloxicam (anti-inflamamatory), I cannot take that, and also about the baby aspirin. I have a nephew who is an ER MD in Philly, and he thought the baby aspirin would be ok as long as I took it with food and a pepcid. I will have to get the opinion of the gastro MD on those issues.
    I can understand that you loved working part-time. Before having my children and teaching, I worked at a law firm in downtown NYC. I was getting restless with the job and decided to ask them if I could work 4 days a week. They didn't like it, but they finally agreed and I thought it was the greatest thing. I was so much happier getting that extra day (and they got 5 days of work done in 4, so they should have been happy too)! Anyway, I am considering working part time next year. There's a lot of changes going on at the school and it actually may work out for me to sub for them or become a SEIT (which is a one to one special ed teacher). So I'll see. My husband is considering retiring within the next few months, and not that I haven't enjoyed all the time we have been spending with each other LoL ! , I still think that part-time may be the way to go. Going back in February should be actually fun, since I will work one week and then the following week is the mid-winter break ! Excellent timing! LoL
    Hope your Sunday is treating you well. Enjoy your day.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

So happy to read your positive and upbeat post, @Lea61. It will be interesting to hear what you decide to do, employment-wise, but sounds like you've got some options to consider. I think part-time work, if you're able to afford it, is fabulous. Even before I stopped my "real" job, before consulting, I was working only four days a week, although I always was available by phone or email on my day off and, like you, I was pretty efficient on those four days in the office and definitely crammed four days of work into five. Best of luck as you mull over your choices!

Also glad to hear that you are not overly nervous about the upcoming second surgery. Given all the unanticipated problems you experienced with number one, you would be completely justified if you were nervous and anxious about the second one. But, knowledge is power and sometimes that is helpful to allay concerns. You know some things now that you didn't know before your October surgery and you can, with your doctor's help and guidance, prepare yourself and do some things differently that will insure an easier outcome. I know I will have to do hip #2 at some point but given how well hip #1 is recovered, I think I'll do fine when the second surgery rolls around. If nothing else, at least I won't be so freaked out at the prospect! Will I look forward to it? Absolutely not! Yes, it will be nice to get rid of all that osteoarthritic pain, but it is major surgery and I don't look forward to the recovery at all. Still, I'm not going to "borrow trouble" and will instead focus on continuing my plan to strengthen my core, glutes and musculature around both hips to stave off #2 as long as practicable.

Cheers, and happy Monday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  10. Layla

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lea!
    Sounds like you're doing well. Contemplating a return to work, then addressing Lefty shortly thereafter.
    Lots of adjustments happening for you early into the New Year. I wish you the best in all moving forward.
    Stay in touch, we'll be here for you as you move into your next Recovery.
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thank you @Layla and @Barbaraj .....I feel as you do Barbaraj, that I am certainly Not looking forward to another major surgery, especially so soon after everything I went through, but my left hip is getting to the same level my right one was before surgery. Even though my right operated hip has not fully recovered, I definitely feel the difference. I am struggling to walk up the stairs again and I now use the cane to support the left hip not the operated one. So I really won't accomplish much by putting it off (I say this now, so bravely, ......let's see what I write when we're closer to March 5th.....) !
    Sounds like you have a plan of your own, and like you said, you will also know when it's time for the 2nd surgery. Hope you had a good Monday.....
    it's getting very cold in NYC....we had lots of rain and milder temps, but that's changing. My poor Buster, I have to coax him with a treat to get him out the door. Actually, it should be poor me......sometimes I am outside the door hoping he will follow me out, while he remains in the house and decides he'll get a drink while I wait for him! It's crazy!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Layla

Just think how good you'll be feeling by Summer with your two new fancy hips! :happydance: :dancy: :spin: :egypdance:
    @Lea61

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mojo333

Glad to hear you are doing well...
    Ebb and flow at this point, right?
    Trying to find the "how much is too much" was the trick for me at 2 months out.
    Sounds like you've been listening to your body and letting it be the guide...best approach!
    Hope today is a flowing day!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Lea61. Hope it's less rainy today and maybe a few peeks of sunshine outside your house. Even if it's getting colder (and I remember NYC winters from ages ago when I lived there for a few years--it was dang cold in winter!) at least you can bundle up warmly when you go out. Poor Buster probably isn't enthused, but if you do coax him out, I'm sure he "takes care of business" quickly so he can scamper back inside. It was a beautiful day in the PNW yesterday, sunny and cool (that means around 45 degrees, nothing like your frigid temperatures, I'm betting) so a perfect day for a walk in the neighborhood with a friend. I think I overdid it a bit, as I was a bit stiff and achy last night, but I'm going to take today off from exercise and just chill, hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

Sorry to read that your left hip is causing problems which are not helping your recovery from right hip surgery. But use that cane as needed, and take it easy. The goal now is to just hang in there until you have that second surgery (and yes--gulp--I know it's both anticipated and feared) and try to stay as comfortable as possible. Walking the stairs will continue to be hard, I fear, but take them slowly and avoid them when you can. Hope you have a good day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mojo333

Thinking of you as you passed your two month mark and hope you are hanging in there, friend!:friends:

16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Lea61. Hope you're having a peaceful, comfortable start to the day. No rain here in the PNW today, which is very pleasant--a lovely streaky pink and blue horizon, suggesting sunshine at some point. Sure, it will be chilly--although nothing like east coast cold--but I am thinking maybe a walk with a neighbor friend, suitably bundled up, of course, might be pleasant this afternoon. Hoping you are finding a way to feel reasonably comfortable with your recovering hip and very grouchy unoperated hip. My left hip is achy this morning, but not sure if it's overuse or just general morning stiffness and crankiness. Usually once I'm up and more active it feels better, but it may be that I'm simply distracted. Either way, just have to keep pushing ahead, as we all do. Happy Friday!

17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hey, good morning @Lea61. I hope you are doing okay this morning. Grey and gloomy here in my part of the world, but feeling reasonably well despite the ongoing stiffness in my lower back (threw it out last Sunday--argh!) I'm off to shop this morning with girlfriends, so I'll get in my exercise that way--a much more pleasant effort than the gym or home PT exercises. I know with a still to be operated hip it might feel as if you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I'm hoping you've been able to find ways to cope as you wait for this second surgery. Your cane is your best friend, as well as listening to your body and taking it easy. Cheers, and happy Monday.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi @Barbaraj Hope you had a nice day shopping with your friends today. Glad you have been able to get out and enjoy somewhat milder temps. We are having freezing cold temps and it has been very windy, so our chill factors have been in the negatives. On the good side, the storm we expected over the weekend brought us rain instead of snow. It certainly would have been a much worst situation had it been all snow and then having it all freeze. ...at least we are not doing ....:snow plough: not yet, anyway...... LoL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Lea61! I did hear that there was miserable weather headed to the east coast, but glad that at least it skipped you in terms of snow. I saw scenes on the evening news of truly miserable looking weather in various parts of the country, with snow piled up all over and folks being interviewed, despite looking very bundled up, had very red noses, with their breath turning to fog as they talked to the newscaster. I gotta say that where I live the winters (and summers) are so much milder! I am crabby about a return to rain today, but our rainfall totals for January are low and we need the rain/snow to replenish the mountain snow packs. I really have nothing to complain about, weather-wise (although that never stopped me!) but hoping you are able to stay inside for the most part, babying that cranky hip but also feeling as if the operated hip is healing nicely. Any word yet on second surgery scheduling? Nobody looks forward to surgery, but I'm guessing you'd simply like to get it over with so you can face the year(s) ahead with the certain knowledge that with two bionic hips you'll be good to go! Have a great day, and here's hoping the cold and wind will ease up a bit for you over the next few days.

20. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Lea61, Popping in quickly to see how you are doing. Great that you will return to work in February, before your March surgery. You'll enjoy getting back to doing something you enjoy and that must be almost second nature to you. I am also a teacher, with specialized OG training, so have been tutoring for years. I stopped last June, due to my discomfort, but would love to pick up a student or two once I feel I am sorted out enough with my second hip.
    I think your waiting until March for surgery is a great idea, particularly with your gastric issues (which I hope are settling down now). Your first hip and revision will be that much stronger, and you'll be at least three months post op, closer to four, before you head back to the OR. I'm sure you must be nervous, but you are at an excellent hospital. Your surgeon sounds great too, and he knows your history, both orthopedic and gastric, and I'm sure he'll be taking extra special care of you! I hope the familiarity will give you peace of mind going into second surgery. I found knowing what to expect was really helpful second time around. A couple of the nurses in pre-op and on the ward remembered me, and it was nice to see familiar faces. I know you are in a bigger hospital, but I was treaded for several years at MGH in Boston, and got to know the regular nurses. I also found taking a quiet time (even ten mins works) for myself every day (prayer, meditation, time with my dogs/horses, sitting outdoors or in an lovely indoor garden setting or whatever is restful and calming for you) really helped, and I'm still trying to make that time dailly (hard to do!), as I'm generally a lot more relaxed.
    Hopefully the weather isn't being too brutal over there on the east coast. We have had sunny days mixed with deluges of rain. I see that your pup doesn't like to go out in the cold. Our dogs would happily cross their legs until they can't stand it anymore (usually around 3 AM!), than go out in the rain before bed!!
    I have to say, I am so happy with having two hips out of the way now. It is interesting which one is feeling weaker and at what times. I've been doing physio since early January, once a week, and I'm doing stretching and the strengthening that goes on with the stretching...one muscle releasing and the opposing muscle contracts. It has really helped my gait. Sounds like you like your physio. I like mine and it really helps.
    Thinking of you and hope your second hip doesn't play up too much. Use your support aids, whatever works for you, until March. Wishing you a great afternoon and evening!