BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Bilateral changed to Single

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lea61, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Lea61

Lea61 member

United States United States
    I had started a post op thread when I was in the waiting room but before I was able to complete and send it, I was called to pre op. Everything went well but my bilateral ended up to be a single ! The OS said that the surgery ended up being a little more complicated than he expected and that I had small bones (!!). It also took 3 hours and that even though I was doing well, he didn't want to risk anything so he and the team made the decision to stop at one. I'm feeling good. Just achy and tired. I was given an ic pack in recovery and didn't even need to ask for it. They continue to give them to me. They must read bonesmart too!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hey, @Lea61! Welcome to recovery! The moderators will soon get on here with the official stuff, but just wanted to welcome you to the post op side of the forum. Sorry you didn’t get your “two-fer” but sounds like the absolute right decision was made for your situation. I am sure you’ll get more from your surgeon regarding the other hip, but put all your energy into recovery for #1! Glad to know you’re icing and I hope getting good meds for pain control. Cheers, and hope all goes well!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    :wave:Welcome to the healing side :flwrysmile: @Lea61

Oh wow! What is it with us bilaterals turning into one-at-a-timers! Your surgeon made absolutely the best decision for you, and I'm so glad you are feeling good, albeit achy and tired. My surgeon changed his mind on my bilateral surgery, two days before surgery, and that was a bit of a surprise, but made total sense when we went through the reasons. He had my best interest at heart, and for that I am very grateful.
    Great that your are getting non-stop ice :ice:

Wishing you a restful and a comfortable as possible night :sleep:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Clipper

Clipper member

3 Hours! WOW! Stopping after one was a great idea! Glad you're recovering fine and have this one behind you. Good luck and get lots of healing before #2.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Clipper thank you ... Noticed you are on the gulf. Is the hurricane still headed your way ? Good luck and stay safe

6. MrDIY

MrDIY member

Hi @Lea61 . Now the healing begins!
    3 hours wow!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    :welome: to recovery @Lea61 .
    I'm sorry you couldn't have both hips done. Which one was done?

Here is some post-op reading and guidance for you:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Lea61 So sorry you only got the one hip done but certainly it's better this way. Three hours is a long time for one hip. It's great your surgeon didn't risk having you under anaesthetic for longer. Sounds like he was getting tired anyway - we don't want a tired surgeon operating.

You know the drill - rest, ice, elevate and meds - then repeat. You are on your way!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

How are you doing today, @Lea61? I hope this posting finds you feeling reasonably comfortable and positive about your recovery—finding the right balance of pain medication and able to adjust as necessary, and getting the rest you need with enough activity in small doses so you can start to see the light at the end of the recovery tunnel! Cheers, and happy hump day!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hey there :wave:
    Congrats on your new hip! I echo what the other's said. Your OS had your best interests in mind when making the decision. Now you can rest, get stronger, put some distance in between your two surgeries and move forward.
    It sounds as though your pain is well managed and the nursing staff is attentive. Go You! Yay!:happydance:
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Lea61

Lea61 member

I thank EVERYONE for their posts and well wishes. I have been having trouble with the wi-fi here so I was not able to get online. I am doing so much better than I ever would have thought or expected. And I truly think that you all have made that possible. I feel that I was well prepared ! The hospital has been great with the schedule of cocktail pain meds. Tramadol, and then Tylenol and oxy for breakthrough. But I think they will stop the oxy now. I got Tylenol and tramole (??? Sp ?) for breakthrough today. Not much pain (but how could I measure that with all the pain meds I'm on )but I want to stay ahead of it (just like I learned here)! Last nite I just sat on the side of the bed for 45 min. Today I walked to bathroom and then out into the hall using a walker. This afternoon walked a little more and went up and down stairs (since I have stairs at home). Need some help with getting into bed and lifting the leg up.
    Since I only had the right hip done, the OS ordered a cortisone injection for my left side to hopefully help it from feeling worse. I was also told that I have universal restrictions so I don't have to adhere to all the posterior restrictions and can be fully weight bearing.
    I have been on a baby aspirin 2x daily and the leg cuffs. They are sending me home with leg cuffs to use 18-20 hours a day for 2 weeks. Then, we mail it back to them!
    My blood pressure has been low (my lowest reading was 108/40). Surprisingly I am not dizzy, even when I sit or walk). It is still low, but it has been much better today.
    I will be going home tomorrow, which is fine. If I left today, it would have been during rush hour and getting home from the city is sometimes a disaster. In the recovery room, they requested a private room so my husband could stay (they even gave him a recliner)! (instead of going back and forth to home and hotel rooms were $350-400 a nite. Ridiculous)!
    Sorry for the long post, but I thought everyone's idea of using this as a journal was a great idea. Plus, I don't know if I will lose access to the internet again !
    Thank you for letting me get all this down....it will also be good for me when I get the other side done.

And @Jaycey ... Don't worry... I printed out the Guidelines page!
    And I thank everyone again for all your support. You are a great team to have !!! ​

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. MrDIY

MrDIY member

When I was younger (and larger) I used to jokingly say, “I’m not fat, I’m big boned!”

I guess you could say, “I’m not petite , I’m small boned!” ?? Haha

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a wonderful update, one day post op.
    It sounds like you're doing well. I hope your pain continues to be well managed.
    Get lots of rest, use lots of ice and read the Recovery Guidelines if you're able to absorb it all.
    I think you'll find the info useful.
    Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Clipper

Clipper member

@Lea61 - Ha thanks for asking - this hurricane missed us thank goodness. You should be grateful for the fine support from your hospital staff! You are very lucky!

Good luck and be patient for the 2nd hip fix. Hope the cortisone works well. I waited 7 months for my 2nd hip and I was much stronger.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    :wave:@Lea61 Hoping you are getting some restful :sleep: tonight. You are doing really well! Hoping you get home tomorrow and to the comforts of your own bed/recliner etc! Thinking of you and sending lots of positivie healing thoughts!
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thanks @Alitm ... Still not sleeping well. It's 4am and here I am :bored: I think I slept two hours and I'm wide awake. I thought I would have taKen a nap during the day, but didn't do that either (and under normal conditions, I love to nap, whenever I can) ! My hubby has been sleeping in his recliner all nite! :sleep: When he wakes he'll tell me how uncomfortable he was ! Haha. But I am looking forward to going home this morning. No place like home!
    And back to my puppy, who doesn't eat when I'm not around :dogsniff: ! (Even tho my boys are taking care of him) !
    Thanks for your positive thoughts.... They are being received :curtsey:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Clipper ... Glad you were lucky enough to miss the hurricane. I have a friend living in Tallahassee, and she is experiencing heavy winds that knocked down a tree on her property and has lost power. She has a generator, so that helps a lot.
    It's funny that you said be patient for the next hip.... My OS said I had to wait at least 12 weeks and I tried to ask for 8 and it was non-negotiable LoL. He just recommended that I call office next week and schedule now, so I can get an early January date.
    So far, so good with the cortisone shot, but I know it's not the cortisone giving me the relief right now, it's the numbing agent they injected ( the cortisone I received for my right side, done over the summer, did not provide relief, but this is a different hip, so we will see)
    I think we are getting remnants of "your" hurricane up here tomorrow .... Just in time for my going home !! We are just expecting rain, nothing major !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @Lea61
    I expect you were a bit disappointed that only one hip was done but I am sure the OS made the right decision. You seem to be doing well and your pain is under control. Make sure you follow the meds routine when you get home.
    I must say I was very frightened at the thought of my journey home, an hour along bendy roads, but everything was fine. I am sure your puppy will be very pleased to see you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Layla ... Yes, the support at the hospital has been amazing. They look to give me ice before I even ask for it. They just don't have me elevating my legs. When I had raised the lower half of the bed, they lowered it. My ankle and leg is not swelling so I just figured I will do it at home. I'll be using my sisters room on my 1st floor and her bed is motorized for the head and legs ( only the best for her)!!
    I've been resting, but not sleeping. I think I slept 2hours tonite and I'm wide awake). Maybe I will catch up once I'm home.
    Thank you for all your well wishes......

20. Lea61

Lea61 member

@MrDIY ....
    [QUOTE ]When I was younger (and larger) I used to jokingly say, “I’m not fat, I’m big boned!”

You were so funny:loll:

The only thing with me.... Is that I am not that petite!!! I told my OS that my small bones were part of my earlier life when I was only 90 lbs and couldn't gain weight if I tried (I stayed that way into my 20's). So, I said that my bones did not grow even tho my body did with the weight I gained!! ( after my pregnancies i struggled to lose it) (Hope that's not all too much info) Lol
    Thanks for stopping by ... I enjoyed the humor.

• Friendly Friendly x 1