BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Bilateral changed to Single

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lea61, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Lea61

Lea61 member

United States United States
    @Mersada ... How are you? Did you have your consultation yet? I remember that it was mid-March, but not sure exactly. I look forward to hearing how everything went. :fingersx:
    Take care.....:) :-) (:

2. Mersada

Mersada member

Thank you for asking...It's Monday!!

I hope you are doing ok.

3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi lea.
    I hope you know I think of the often and sincerely hope this recovery is going well.
    There is a lot of what ifs that occupy our mind but know that I am sending the BEST mojo your way.

4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Lea61, I hope your recovery is going well, and you're able to manage pain with medication and maybe even get a bit more sleep than before. It's sunny in my neighborhood, a huge mood booster and I'm not sure what it's doing in your neck of the woods--but I'll think positive thoughts and try to send some sunshine your way if you've not experienced it today. Even if you're tucked up inside, being by a window with sun coming in seems like it would be wonderful mood medicine. Lots of folks thinking about you, and sending good wishes your way!

5. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thanks @Barbaraj ..... how are you feeling? It's still rather chilly here. We had a 60 degree tease for one day and then a temp drop which is maintaining 30 and 40 degree temps. Hopefully it will start warming up, because it does help make a difference in your outlook and mood. I have been having a terrible time with sleeping. I almost dread when it's time for bed. I have had restless leg syndrome prior to my surgeries, but it has been so much worse now. Last night I ended up back in the recliner and then didn't go back to bed until 5:30 am. Even sitting in the recliner makes me restless and I sit up, I get up, walk around....it's frustrating. I never really looked into wIhat to do for this since I never had it this bad. If it continues to this degree, I will have to start looking into help.
    Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post surgery! I have good and bad days with the pain and takes meds when I need them. I started using the crutches and can even use one crutch at home. So, I'm definitely on the right path and going in the right direction!
    And...you can start sending that warming sunshine this way:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Mersada .....I hope things went well today and you have the answers and assurance you need to start your own journey to finally rid yourself of the pain and discomfort you are now feeling because of your hip.
    :fingersx:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

:hi: Was wondering how you've been!

I had the terrible "can't keep my legs still for very long especially when lying in the bed" syndrome too!:blackcloud:
    It took some time to get sorted...but I do send my sincerest sympathies for the struggle.
    Keep the faith friend...:friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Mojo333 …. hi there. Yes, the sensation of RLS is so uncomfortable and then combined with lack of sleep can almost be unbearable. I have had it for many years, (but not like this) and it always just seemed to come and go. I would have a bad night, here and there, but it didn't last an entire night (like last night). Then I would go weeks without any issues at all. I'm hoping that the surgery just triggered it to (temporarily) worsen and I will at least go back to what it was before. It seems that a lot of people on here have experienced the RLS post surgery even when they never had it prior to surgery.
    Oh well, I am very tired tonight and made sure I didn't nap today so it wouldn't interfere with trying to sleep.
    I'll have to start counting sheep and hope I'm able to fall asleep :sleep: tonight ! Wish me Luck :fingersx:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mersada

Mersada member

Thank you for asking @Lea61, I met with Dr. Macauly today. I wrote about it in my thread in pre-op. I just have to accumulate some more time from work. He was very confident in believing recovery would not be difficult...I guess we will have to see if my body responds the way he thinks it will. He says back to work in 4 to 6 weeks is possible because I have a desk job. He did say I would still have a limp that was a bit disappointing...I was hoping they could even out the legs a bit...I am an inch shorter on one side.

Sorry about your sleepless nights, but on the bright side...using one crutch after two weeks sounds great! The weather is getting better, soon you will be able to venture out some more. Looking forward to hearing more about your recovery. Have a great week. I am wide awake myself right now and it's almost 2 am. Geez.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

So sorry for struggles.:sigh:
    Hard to know what is what...but most all of my post-op aggavations resolved by month 4.
    Might not sound that encouraging:unsure:but as I was very concerned some of these sensations might be "collateral damage", it is nice to know these things can come and go.
    Hope you got some rest last night.
    Hugsxxx

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So sorry you continue to suffer the discomfort of RLS. Wondering if you've tried Magnesium for any length of time? Hopefully it's is transient and as you get further away from surgery it eases. Have you looked into whether any meds you're taking could be exacerbating it?

I guess I'd try to limit caffeine in any form, alcohol, sugar. If you're still icing to any degree, I wonder if that's a trigger? If you're under stress it could also be contributing. I'd strive for the Activity suggested in the Activity Progression for THR but try not to overdo it.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
    I've read that lack of sleep can also make it worse which is difficult if the RLS is keeping you awake.

Wonder if warm baths or massage could bring you some relief? May be worth a try if you haven't already.
    I sure hope it eases for you soon, Lea. I'm sorry you have to deal with this in addition to normal recovery.
    Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :console2:
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Lea61. Restless leg syndrome sounds like a real irritation, I can't imagine what a pain that must be! I occasionally get leg cramps at night, but I know that for me it's because I am somewhat dehydrated (yes, I know I should be more diligent about swilling water during the day--I forget and sometimes pay the price) but I am not sure what causes RLS or how to effectively treat it. Sounds like it's really interfering with your sleep and I know sleep is so critical for recovery. But you said you'd had it for years, but never this bad. I might think seriously about seeking some medical advice since it's really become a problem. With recovering hips you don't need this problem taking over! But at least you say you feel, despite the RLS, that you're moving forward with recovery--two weeks out, wahoo--and walking with a bit more ease. Focus on the positive--it IS going to get better, I know it! Happy Thursday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Layla

Stopping by to say Hi, Lea
    We haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope the RLS has eased somewhat and you're feeling well rested.
    Leave us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear of your progress.
    I hope you have a nice Sunday!
    @Lea61

14. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary to Lefty :)
    I hope you're doing well, Lea. Miss hearing from you...
    Best wishes for a wonderful Spring!
    @Lea61

15. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi @Layla and @Mojo333 ..... I know I haven't been checking in much, but I am always appreciative to this site and to you for always being so helpful and supportive. When I last wrote, I was telling you about my RLS....Not sure if I had mentioned previously, that my mom had RL and now my brother just started a medication for RLS.....so I ended up going to a neurologist. She is checking my iron levels and I also asked for magnesium and Vitamin D to be checked too. I just started taking a low dose medication that has been found to help this condition. So far, I have been getting relief and finally able to sleep (almost) through the night. I can't tell you how draining it was becoming....it wasn't just not being able to sleep, but the constant need to have to get up and move my legs....it was wearing me down. I almost hope that the test for iron proves to be the issue and will resolve this so I won't have to continue on the medication. The possible side effects are very scary and I hate the thought of being on something long-term.
    Otherwise, all is going well. I started out-patient PT and it has been going well. The therapist told me that my range of motion was very good, but the right side (that I had dislocated) is a little tighter than the left (and I do feel more discomfort on that side when going up/down stairs (so weird too, that (revision) surgery was November). OS said that after the surgery on the left side, it's possible that it added stress to the right side and it will just take some added time to recover again. I am able to walk unaided (although I will take one crutch with me if I know I will be doing a lot of walking).
    I read that @Barbaraj said good bye....I will miss her posts......she always made me laugh! And @Mersada , if you check in, write to me.....I still want to meet you at the nail salon one day........
    Thanks again.....I'll check back soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mojo333

:wave:
    So happy to see your name come up.:loveshwr:
    I thought you had left us!
    I'm sorry you have had such difficulty but I'm sure glad you popped in with an update and please be assured that at two months out...there is lots of improvement to come.
    Hugs, friend:friends:

17. Mersada

Mersada member

@Lea61 great to hear from you. Sounds like your making good progress. I hope you get to the bottom of your RLS, sounds exhausting. We deffnitely should meet up at the nail salon some time, that would be cool.

Stay in touch.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Hi Lea,
    It was good to hear from you. It's encouraging you've found enough relief to get the sleep you need.
    With any luck, a treatment with lower risk of adverse side effects will be suggested.
    I'm happy to read your PT is going well and you continue to make progress. Thanks for updating.
    Happy Spring!
    @Lea61

• Like Like x 1
  19. Layla

:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary to Lefty!
    Hope you have a lovely week, Lea
    Please stay in touch....Hugs :friends:
    @Lea61