BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Bilateral changed to Single

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lea61, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :mcoffee: cup number one for me...and I was wondering how things were going with you this week?
    Don't like what I'm seeing for you weatherwise.
    I'm sure that keeps you inside a good bit...so Boo for that!:oyvey:
    Spring will be better for number two recovery.
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mersada

Mersada member

Today and yesterday the weather wasn't too bad by us. @Lea61 hope you got out at least yesterday.
    Hope you are doing well. Your in my thoughts. Looking forward to an update.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. prairienut

prairienut senior

@Lea61 , I have skimmed through your story. You have been through a lot, but it looks like in March you will be on the healing side of all of this. That will be a milestone. It is unbelievable how long you coped with that dislocation, not knowing what was causing your pain and lack of progress. I see you live on Staten Island. I looked in your thread to see where you were having your surgery, but didn't spot it. Which hospital are you using? I live upstate, but came to NYC to the HSS for my hip revision surgery because I had more trust they would get it right. I went with a loose femoral stem for over a year, thinking my off-and-on pain was a soft tissue problem. The local ortho group took an X-ray but misread it and declared it "well fixed." The revised hip feels so much more stable than the old one ever did, even at only 3 weeks post-op.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

Reading some posts on your thread I see that you are set with a date in March for surgery. That's good news, @Lea61. Sure, you've got to slog through 6+ weeks more but it's almost the end of January now so time is ticking by. I certainly hope that your second hip goes one heck of a lot more smoothly than all the trouble you've experienced with hip #1. Nobody should go through that, and certainly not more than once! I suspect you're hunkered down inside with inclement weather, but I hope that will pass and you can venture out for a bit of fresh air at some point. It's a lovely sunny day (with a temperature of 51 for a high today--woo, hoo!) and I see a bit of yard work in my afternoon forecast. Happy Monday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi @prairienut ....thank you for writing.

Yes, I did have my surgery in NYC at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital. I have a friend who recommended my Dr to me after having had knee surgery. I think that HSS and NYU are both excellent hospitals.

After hearing that your trip to the City takes you 2 hours, I will not complain anymore about the 1 hour trip we have to the City (it seems that no matter what time we leave, it is always rush hour)! I was able to read your thread and it seems that you have also been through your own issues having a loose femoral stem for a year and knowing that something just wasn't right despite the Drs who said everything was "well fixed". It's hard to believe that two Drs can look at the same xray and have totally opposite interpretations. Very scary.

I totally understand when you said that your revised hip feels more stable than the old one ever did, because I felt the same way after my revision. The 2nd recovery went so much smoother and even the need for pain meds was so much shorter than the first time around.

Can't believe tomorrow will be Feb 1, which brings my next surgery even closer. I just got a reminder from the OS office about getting my medical clearance from my family MD next week ! Now I know it's getting close!

Take care, and I wish you the best in your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there, :wave:
    A little over a month to go and you'll be Bionic Babe Lea :happydance:
    Just think how great you'll be feeling next Summer.
    Wishing you comfort as you await your March date.
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Lea61

Lea61 member

Layla, Barbaraj Mojo333 Hi there. Yes, March will be here before I know it! When the surgeons office calls to remind you about medical clearance for surgery, you kinda know it's close. I'm trying to take care of paperwork to return to work on Feb 11th. My surgeon signed off on that and I just faxed his letter to my HR office. The timing is probably perfect for me since working will keep my mind off of the next surgery.

Although the weather has been biting cold, we are thankful that it has not been compounded with snow.

Hope you are all doing well and staying warm, although Barbaraj at 51 degrees doesn't sound bad at all!

Hi @Mersada :wave: How are you? I was thinking of you too and hoping that you have received your placard for handicapped parking. I could only imagine trying to walk with a bad hip in this biting cold and windy weather we have been having. Your next appt at NYU is coming soon, early February? It would be nice if this surgeon is able to give you the support and comfort you need to proceed further in correcting your issues with your hip. If you have the opportunity to schedule a date in the near future, you probably should get yourself a surgery date now (you can always cancel it if you change your mind later on), they just seem to book up really fast.

Hope you are doing well :) :-) (:

8. Mojo333

:friends:Glad to know everything is a go for lefty.
    How is your right hip getting on?
    Hopefully all is doing well and this last hip surgery will help so you can be golden by summer!
    My hip muscles don't like being freezing cold, the tightening from shivering is about the only time they ache a bit any more.
    Time for spring to spring!
    Will see what the weather forecasting groundhog says today!
    Hope your weekend is sweet.:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mersada

Mersada member

Hi @Lea61, glad to hear from you!!
    I still don't have my placard...seems like it's taking forever. I called last week and they said my paperwork was still at the department of health being reviewed. Hopefully any day now, unless they deny it. The cold makes the hip a bit more stiff I think.

I rescheduled my appointment with Dr. MacCauley to March 16th. We will see what he has to say. I hope I feel more comfortable and confident with him...we shall see. I am still terrified of doing it being that it's a whole reconstruction and not just a hip replacement. I feel like something could go wrong. I read the boards of people still having complications after surgery and it scares me. Right now, I know how to manage it. It's a stiff and dull pain now...could be worse.

This week we are supposed to get weather close to 50's...looking forward to that--hope you get to get out a bit, too.
    I go see Tony Braxton in concert on Thursday which will be a treat. I don't venture out that often because I hate having to walk too much. Last week I went to the short hills mall in NJ with my sister...we didn't stay long because I can't walk that long but, it was nice to get out.

Good luck with the next hip replacement, you will be having it before my next consult. I envy you for getting it done. I guess I'm a scaredy cat...lol.

How are you doing with the precautions?? Is it hard?? I wonder how I'm going to care for the dogs with that. Are you able to do the golpher's reach easily?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

Hey, @Lea61, I agree that if they're calling you to start the process (ah, administrative stuff--isn't it fun?) then it really isn't very far off at all. Can't believe you are returning to work! I hope you feel up for it, although once you return before you know it you'll be hoofing it off to the hospital for Round Two (err..Round three if you take into consideration that revision?!!) Also, for the record, it's very cold today--high of 27 at the moment, and a reasonable amount of snow on the ground. Even an inch or two sends PNW'ers into a panic, however, and I personally DO NOT drive in snow, even a dusting. Husband drove us out for lunch (power went out for a few hours) which was nice--lovely French onion soup, pea salad and a big glass of sauvignon blanc. Needless to say, due to the latter I am feeling no pain. Hang in there!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Layla

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    I hope all goes well with your return to work on Monday. Let us know how it goes.
    It will be a good distraction as you await your next surgery.
    Stay warm and enjoy the weekend!
    @Lea61

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

:wave:just popping in to see how you were doing...back to wwork and all.
    Sure wore me out when I went back.:swoon:
    Hope you are doing well and wishing you a good week:angel:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mersada

Mersada member

Miserable weather we are having. Hope you are doing ok.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Lea61

Lea61 member

Hi @Mersada I'm doing ok. I went back to work on Monday. It's been really nice to be back and I enjoy seeing everyone again, especially the kids. The only drawback is that my left hip has been terrible and by the end of the day I can barely walk or go up my stairs at home. I have one more day this week because Friday I have scheduled the endoscopy and then next week we are off for mid-winter break, so I'll be able to give my hip a rest. Other than that, I am happy to be back and what makes it even better is not having the responsibility of being the lead teacher with all the planning, etc. so I can just go and help out and have fun with the kids.

Mersada, I think you should try to re-apply for the handicap placard. I don't understand why you were denied, especially since you requested a temporary one (maybe the MD statement wasn't strong enough to show need?) but it's worth a try to have them review it again. Tell them you will come to their office and demonstrate why you need it !!

Hope you are getting by with the snow and icy conditions we had. I know how scary walking on ice feels. This week, I had my husband take me to work and pick me up. My school is less than a 10 minute drive from my house, but parking is always a problem.

Layla, Mojo333, thanks for checking in. You guys are great and I don't know how you keep track of everyone you write to. You have been amazing. Thank you for your support:loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Layla

Hi Lea, thanks for the update!
    It's nice to read you're back at work and enjoying it.

Wishing you all the best with your endoscopy on Friday.

Sorry your ailing left hip is overshadowing your recovery. Not long to wait now and you'll be rid of the pain.

I hope you enjoy having the next week off work and resting your hips.
    Stay safe and warm in this crazy cold.
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mojo333

:hi: @Lea61
    So good to see you pop by. I have always missed you being my bilateral cohort but due to the circumstances with right, it certainly is good you weren't times two. Things do have a way of working out for the best and I'm ever do relieved to hear that it is behaving well.
    Now to get lefty up to speed. And you will be golden by summer!
    :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  17. Mersada

Mersada member

Hi @Lea61 ,
    I am glad you are getting out. I would imagine one can get a bit stir crazy at home for an extended period of time. Yes, walking on the ice and slush was scary, but got through it. I am glad you have your husband to be able to pick you up....walking to the car, if parked far, can be a pain in the butt. Sorry your left hip is giving you trouble....you only have a couple of weeks to go before that kind of pain is in your past.

I am going to call the dept. of health and see what more I can send them. I requested the regular NYC placard, it wasn't a temporary one. They asked for the length of my legs and xrays but, they don't want discs, so what do I do print out the xray from my computer...have to ask. I have to go see the doctor and have him give me two more notes....I don't know what he could possibly write more...he wrote hip displacia with osteo arthritis and needs a cane. What more could they want.

Well, hope you enjoy getting out to work for the short period of time you have till your next surgery...it's less than a month away. I hope you are excited and less nervous.

I am going for my 5th consult with Dr. Maccauly March 16. I hope to ask some more questions then. I can't seem to convince myself to just go through with it. I am so scared and anxious about it. Maybe he will put me more at ease...we shall see.

Anyway, always good to hear from you and hear how you are doing. I look forward to the positive stories...I am trying to avoid reading the negative stuff as they scare me even more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

Oh, @Lea61, so sorry to read about how painful your left has been at the end of every day. I am sure a lot of us can relate to that. And while you're not head teacher anymore, I'm betting it's still a lot of work and that poor hip will struggle. But next week is early spring break and you say you'll have a rest--whew, such a relief. Do take it easy and rest up. You are so close to surgery #2--not that any one looks forward to surgery, but I am sure you are so very weary of pain and discomfort, and you know what to expect this time around which should make it, I'm guessing, far less frightening. Hang in there, things are doing to be looking up for you very soon. Hope the endoscopy appointment goes well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Lea61

Lea61 member

Layla, mojo Hi there. Hope all is well with you.

I am scheduled to have my left hip done on Tuesday, March 5th. I just got back my screen by culture for MRSA/MSSA and I was upset to see that I tested Positive for MSSA, the other culture indicated "No MRSA isolated". I did call my surgeon's office (Dr is away right now) and they put me in touch with a Dr from the lab. She advised me that it was nothing to worry about and that the Dr will probably give me an antibiotic on the day of surgery. She mentioned something about the possibility of being a carrier but test taken in Sept. I am worried because all the issues that don't usually happen to most people (I joined the less than 3% group for having a dislocation and the less than 2% group for having it be an anterior dislocation).

I still tend to become concerned when I'm told that something is rare. I know that I will be able to reach my surgeon on Monday, but what do you think? Do I worry? Is it something that would cause the surgery to be postponed? As anxious as I have been feeling with the thought of surgery in just a few days, I did want to get it over with and was looking forward to finally having both hips done. Now it seems I have something else to worry about. :sos:

20. Mojo333

Oh gracious..just have to make it more stressful, right?
    I have seen quite a few folks on the forum who had a positive result on test for MSSA.
    What confuses me slightly is your OS office protocol.
    Let's tag @Josephine to weigh in.
    I seem to remember members went on with surgery with no post op issues but they had strict 5 day pre-op instructions.
    This article is in our library.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...-protocols-for-thr-tkr-found-effective.21589/