Looking back...I'm assuming you haven't met with the surgeon at HSS yet, or Dr Klein at HUMC...correct?
If so, please try not to get ahead of yourself. I do understand wanting an additional appointment on the calendar because it can take time to see some of these surgeons, but hopefully that won't be necessary after having the second and third opinion appointments behind you.
Consider relaying that you understand that your X-rays may not show the degree of arthritis they normally look for before considering TKR, but you'd like them to please evaluate the whole picture. Your symptoms, instability, the bone marrow edema, osteopenia, your limitations in function and the images you have. If after that they tell you they don't feel you're a candidate, I'd want to know exactly what they're basing their decision on and what they think is causing your symptoms. Also, what would need to change that justifies a TKR.
I understand your frustration. Try not to be nervous about the upcoming appointments, but instead hold out hope that one of these surgeons is able to determine the origin of your symptoms and a plan to resolve them.
Please feel free to vent anytime, we're here for you always.
Wishing you comfort, patience and peace of mind.
@stephl