BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Bilateral changed to Single

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lea61, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Please,know we are thinking of you.:angel:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:
    Hope you're doing alright.
    Best wishes for a peaceful weekend and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hugs :friends:
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thank you @Mojo333 , @Layla .... I have not been having a good run .... Last Friday, I started having some stomach issues. I was in contact with my dr and told him that I wanted to stop the Melaxicam (Mobic). He agreed. Over the weekend my symptoms became worse to the point that a sip of water caused pain. A small cup of jello gave me pain that lasted two hours. Yesterday, I spent 14 hours in the ER, and basically all they did was rule out the most serious things this pain could be, without an explanation of why this is happening. So after an X-ray and 2 CAT scans I learned it is not my heart, gall bladder, pancreas, liver, or a clot in my lungs (they really scared me with that one)!! Anyway, they discharged me at midnight with instructions to see my family Dr. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist on Wednesday. For now, I'm living on mylanta, Prilosec and Pepcid. Tonite I managed to eat a slice of bread, taking 10 minute breaks in between each bite, so it took over an hour to eat the one slice.
    I just can't believe how I am going from one thing to another. I think that taking the anti-inflammatory and baby aspirin since my first surgery on October 9, which then continued thru the 2nd surgery on Nov 7, was just too much for my stomach. Hopefully, I'll have an answer on Wednesday.
    So, since this is bonesmart, I can say that my hip is doing very well. I am using the walker, but I am doing well on crutches too and I am able to bear weight on it. So, I am certainly happy for that, but I really do need a break !

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Layla

I'm so very sorry. How awful to be suffering such pain from a mere sip of water and then spending 14 hrs in the ER. Thankfully they've ruled out some potentially serious issues. I hope your visit with the gastroenterologist provides you with some answers and resolution. I'm sorry you're moving from crisis to crisis. Prayers it all ends soon and you're able to concentrate on your THR recovery alone and move forward. Wishing you comfort in the meantime. @Lea61

5. Lea61

Lea61 member

@Layla .... Thank you so much .....

6. Mojo333

Good grief.:sad:
    I've heard Josephine bemoan some awful side effects of NSAIDS of which aspirin is also one.
    Nice checklist of what it isn't!
    But I certainly hope that you get that sorted. You sound miserable!
    Small amounts of easy digestible food and not when you are about to lie down will help if it is GERD related, maybe?
    Maybe a protein drink?
    Let us know what GP says, please!

Sending virtual sympathy hugs.:console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Oh, @Lea61, the hits just keep on comin' for you! I am sorry to read about you being back in the hospital again! That sounds just miserable! But I am glad to also read that they've ruled out a bunch of scary conditions and have made a referral to a gastroenterologist so you can perhaps get a good diagnosis and plan moving forward. My fingers are crossed for you that next Wednesday's appointment goes well and you get some definitive answers. In the meantime, encouraged to read that your hip is doing well, that you're able to walk and put some weight on it. That is great news! If you can get this stomach issue dealt with, then you truly can focus on a successful hip recovery. Best of luck, we're all rooting for you, and hope you have a good Thanksgiving tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

Hi there,
    Thinking of you and wondering how you're doing and how your appt with
    the gastroenterologist went today. Hopefully you're feeling better and getting some answers.
    Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow.
    Hugs
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mojo333

Hope things are improving and wishing you a relaxing Thanksgiving ...
    Hugs!:roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Lea61 Came over to your thread to catch up and see how you are doing....and did NOT like reading about your gastro issues, spending 14 hours in the hospital, not being able to eat and on and on. You are not catching any breaks. :sad: I hope your appointment with the doctor went well on Wednesday. Let us know how you did...we are all here for you. Glad a lot was ruled out...but you must have been so worried while they were running the tests. You must be wrung out physically and mentally.
    I was very pleased to hear that your hip is doing well though...such great news! :yes!::happydance::yay:
    Sending cyber hugs and positive healing thoughts to you from the west coast :console2:
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Good day, @Lea61. I hope you're feeling a bit better this morning. I suspect your Thanksgiving holiday wasn't a lot of fun with all your stomach issues--ugh! But maybe the gastroenterologist came up with something to help, and put you on the healing path. You've had so much to deal with that you are absolutely entitled to have things start looking firmly up for you! Wishing you a restful and comfortable weekend.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

Hopefully all is settling down @Lea61 !:praying:
    I would like to add my concern and well wishes to the choir of voices above.:console2:
    Update when you are up to it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Layla

Hi Lea,
    Concerned about you, I hope you're doing okay.
    We'll be here when you're feeling up to posting.
    Take care....hugs :console2:
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Lea61

Lea61 member

Thank you all for your concern and well wishes. It certainly has been a rough ride for me. I do feel that I am finally on the mend and actually ate something of substance today, the first time in over a week ! During Wednesday's gastro appt., we were able to schedule an endoscopy for Friday (it was easy to get an appt .....not many people choose to do a test like that the day after thanksgiving) ! The scope showed an area of esophageal erosion and also areas in the stomach with gastritis. Numerous biopsies were taken. I'm on Prilosec 2x a day and it seems to be helping because I am finally eating ( small, bland meals) and able drink. The Dr feels it was the anti-inflamatorys that caused the problem.
    It was heart warming to come to the site and find that all of you had written to check on me. Thank you all again.
    @Layla, @Mojo333, @Barbaraj, @Alitm

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Dear @Lea61.... It is good news that you got in so quickly for the endoscopy.....thankful for Thanksgiving weekend timing!! Those nasty anti-inflammatories :hissy:. SO great that the Prilosec has kicked in so you can eat and drink a bit more. As you progress with the eating, your body will be re-nourished and your energy will improve. This is it now, you are done with the side road shows of complications!!
    Wishing you a restful comfortable evening :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Yay, @Lea61, so glad to hear that the problem has been identified, some medication prescribed and you're feeling little better, and eat something even if it's bland and boring. I hope the problem resolves quickly and you are able to have a good meal soon, that will be a real treat. How is the hip coming? I hope that hasn't been bothering you in addition to stomach woes. Anyway, feel better SOON, and we look forward to reading some good news posts from you, up and about, eating and drinking well, and getting back to "normal", whatever normal looks like for you! Hope you're having a relaxing Sunday.

17. Layla

Hi Lea,
    Thankfully you received a diagnosis / treatment and are able to eat once again.
    Prayers for the best possible results from the biopsies. That's scary about the anti-inflamatories as so many are dependent on them. I hope you're able to get an abundance of restorative rest and begin feeling better soon.
    A peaceful week to you.
    @Lea61

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mojo333

Very relieved you were able to get the scope.
    Not many choose to do a test like that 3 weeks out from THR revision surgery either, right? :sigh:How miserably uncomfortable to have to go through all that.
    I do hope today is a Good day.:loveshwr:

19. Mersada

Mersada member

Hello Neighbor,
    Haven't heard from you in some time. I hope you are healing well. Hope you feel up to updating us soon...would love to hear about your journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Lea61 Stopping by to say hello and hoping you are healing in every way. Keeping you in my most positive thoughts :flwrysmile: