THR Bilateral changed to Single

Yup, let me join in and hope that today finds you (again) on the "other side" and, I trust, feeling reasonably comfortable. How long will you be in the hospital before you get released to home? I am sure it will be a huge relief to have gotten this over with so you can again set out on the recovery road with far less pain and a good, steady recovery. Thinking of you this morning--cheers.

All temporary!
Keep the faith, friend!:angel:

Hi to all .... @Barbaraj , @Mojo333 , @Alitm , @Mersada , @Layla
It's been awhile ..... Here's my update : I had revision surgery on Wednesday to correct the dislocation. I learned that the risk for dislocation is less than 4%. Then, there are two types of dislocations, 90% of dislocations are posterior, and anterior dislocations make up 10%. So, of course, my dislocation was anterior. It looks like I tend to defy the odds.
The surgery went well, the surgeon said that when he tried to pull my hip out, he couldn't, so he is confident that this hip will be staying in place (I know that there is a higher risk of dislocation after already having one).
Once again, post surgery, my blood pressure dropped significantly, but this time my resting heart rate became an issue as it was high and I was tachycardia. I was also feeling extremely tired and so the first day post-op I had no PT. I ended up with a blood transfusion yesterday (having had 2 major surgeries within 4 weeks, I guess I had lost too much blood; it wasn't going to come back quick enough on its' own. Since it was also having an effect on my heart and preventing me from PT, it was decided to have the transfusion).
Today is now 3days post surgery. The two drains have been removed and I am feeling better. I will be having PT today. My OS wants me to remain in hospital until Monday and then depending how I do over the weekend, will decide if I go home on Monday or to a rehab facility. I am fortunate that my husband has taken family leave time, so if all goes well this weekend, I see going home as a real option.
So it's been a very long week..... Starting with Monday when I found out that my hip was dislocated. Hopefully I am back on track now (the right track)!!!!

What a whirlwind...so sorry all of this has happened to you.
I should guess the blood transfusion has got to have you feeling better.
I'm sure you have scared your poor family (and yourself) silly.:thud:

Since you have been defying the odds - not in a good way - let's defy them in being the most amazing comeback with the most stressful start of this hippy journey.:good-bad:

Sending you all the best @Lea61 :console2:

Last edited:
Thank you @Mojo333 I just finished PT and exceeded today's goal to walk 150 feet and walked about 250 ft and also did stairs 2x. I feel like it's going well. My BP still remains low but thankfully my heart rate has lowered
( staying in the 90's now, and that was after walking). Will walk again this afternoon.
Thanks for checking in ....

Good Morning from the west coast @Lea61 :). So good to hear from you.....you have been on our minds for sure! What is the deal with the odds...yikes! Enough with that :flabber: OK! I second @Mojo333 that you defy the odds with the most spectacular come back, after a very stressful start to this hippy journey!

So sorry you have had difficulty with your BP, experiencing tachycardia and have required a transfusion. However, it sounds like the latter was needed and it has helped.

So glad your husband has been able to take leave, and hoping that you will be able to go home soonest. Will be looking for your updates. We are all cheering for you :SUNsmile:

:flwrysmile:

Good morning, @Lea61, what an amazingly scary story, starting with a dislocation which happens so rarely, and then dealing with the heart rate issues, blood transfusions, etc. No wonder you were so exhausted. But good news is that your pesky hip appears to be successfully lodged in place, and isn't going anywhere! Seems like the other issues will also be dealt with effectively and you'll be off to rehab or home very soon. You have certainly had a long and arduous start to your hip replacement journey, and here's to the very best going forward--you deserve it, and I hope by year's end at the very least you'll be feeling good and ready to start 2019 with a positive, hopeful outlook! Here's to you, brave survivor woman!

Hi @Lea61, I am relieved to hear things went well with the surgery. I was worried about you not hearing for a little while. Sounds like your on the right path now, finally. Do they have any idea of why the dislocation happened in the first place? Glad to hear that your up and about walking already, that's awesome. I hope your pain is being managed well, too. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey, when you up are to it.
Hugs!!

:hi:Hope you have a sweet Sunday and all stays stabilized so you can go home very soon!:yes:

It's nice to read an update. Sorry for your struggles so far but it sounds like things are falling into place.
I hope you're able to go home tomorrow, but if not, better to be ready than be released too soon.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday. Stay in touch....we'll be here.
@Lea61

Hi, @Lea61, I am hoping that when you read this you are reasonably comfortable and resting. You've had such a tough time recently that I trust you are absolutely taking things easy and preparing to resume your hip recovery journey slowly and carefully. Are you home yet, or in rehab? Whichever it is, I hope someone is taking good care of you, and that this long ordeal will shortly be in your rear view mirror!

Last edited:
Thinking of you this morning and hoping you are doing well!
:flwrysmile: healing flower for you...

Hope you're doing okay.
You've been through a lot in a very short period of time.
Hopefully your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably.
Healing hugs coming your way :console2:
@Lea61

Thank you so much @Barbaraj .... @Layla ... @Mojo333 .... I was able to go home mid-afternoon on Sunday and on Monday the visiting nurse and PT came to the house. I have the same team, so it was nice that they both already knew me.
I am taking it easy but I do feel that I my walking has improved and I'm able to stand comfortably putting some weight on the operated leg.
So like you said @Barbaraj , this will all soon be in my rear view mirror and I'll keep moving on.
Thanks again ...

Oh.. @Lea61 glad you posted.:yes:
I was holding my breath and trying not to badger your thread...but I am glad you are home.
I'm sure you feel spent..you just rest all you can, move about when you can, post when you can!
Healing hugs!:loveshwr:

@Mojo333 ... Again, thank you for your concern. I'm doing good. Of course, I am a little fearful of each and every move, and I keep asking the PT if some of my positions are ok ( like I tend to bend the unoperated leg at the knee while sitting in the recliner with the other leg straight out on a pillow). But I guess that is expected after what happened.
I am feeling more tired and restless and not much in the mood for t.v. or I-pad games or going online ( which was how I kept myself busy previously). I know "that this too shall pass", and that I need to be patient (but that's always easier said than done).
Hopefully I will soon catch up on everyone's thread to see how they are all doing. I know @Alitm is due soon for her next surgery and I hope she is doing well.
Take care....

Hi :wave:
Happy to hear you're home and doing well.
I can imagine there is some anxiety involved in movement after what you just experienced.
I'm sure it won't happen again but there's nothing wrong with being cautious. I hope you're able to get some sleep and the restlessness eases. We'll be here for support when you are feeling more settled.
Wishing you comfort and a long afternoon nap :yawn: :sleep:
Big Hugs :friends:
@Lea61

I'm quite sure you are fearful..I'm sure I would be too.
I can't imagine bending your other leg could be bad.
And I know you must be super tentative about right hip...
I hope you aren't in alot of pain.
Please take the time you need to get over what I would consider PTSD after all the drama with this hip.
...and it had only been a week, so please hang in there. You ARE going to get better and
I'm sending you all the best.:praying:

After that horrible dislocation experience, @Lea61, I can well imagine that you'd be anxious about each and every move with your hip and leg! I know it's easy to say, but I hope you can try to relax and be patient, with the hope that each week will bring improved strength and more certainty that, yes, you really ARE on the road to recovery finally. Those early days are tough for everyone, I think, and you are entitled to feel a little extra on edge. But take those drugs as prescribed, try to sleep as well as you can, and remember that you are going to get through this and it will get better every day. Best of luck to you, and hope that anxiety and nerves ease for you soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks