THR Bilateral changed to Single

I'm sorry that I'm just seeing your tag @Lea61
Post Op Blues is difficult. Even if you've read about it, when you're in the midst of it, it can feel overwhelming. Try to console yourself wth the fact that it will pass.

I had some swelling and bruising in the area of my lower thigh and knee that really didn't materialize until seventeen days or so after surgery. I found it a bit alarming but just kept an eye on it and iced it right along with the area of my incision. Possibly because your leg is feeling swollen and tight, you're unconsciously favoring it and it's changed your gait for the time being. If you have to go back to some pain meds for a short time, there's no shame in that. If you feel more secure with the walker temporarily....use it. You are only 20 days post op from major surgery. You may have a few ups and downs.

I'd advise you stop all of the exercises with the exception of walking - Let your leg heal. It doesn't need exercise. It needs TLC. It's injured and trying to heal. Help it along, it doesn't need to be put through a workout. Please read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

By all means if it will bring you some reassurance and emotional relief, go check in with your OS.
I think with some rest and ice your mood and minor set back will both improve. I'm sure any anxiety you're suffering over this is contributing to the blues, so if a visit with the OS will help...reschedule for this week.
Wishing you comfort.
Hugs
 
Is is very frustrating to know that so many others are able to walk unaided at 3 weeks and I still can't do a simple heel slide or walk without a walker. It's hard not to start getting myself a little depressed over it.
My friend please do not assume your recovery will be like any other. Just your thread title gives a clue to how complex your THR was. For some of us it takes more time. Nothing wrong with that - certainly not abnormal. Take things slow and steady. What seems impossible one day is easy the next time you try.
 
I agree with @Jaycey--and you really do know this, too, @Lea61. Every recovery is different just as every patient is different, and comparisons are crazy. If you MUST compare, go and read some of the posts from folks who are or were far worse off than you are at this point in recovery. Well, I don't really recommend this as I always feel so horrible when I read those difficult postings and then immediately feel guilty for the whining I have done! But even though it feels discouraging at the moment, as if things aren't moving and you're feeling grumpy and uncomfortable, try to remember (with a Zen-like intake of breath) that "this too shall pass" and you will be moving ahead--not at lightening speed, of course, but it is a forward journey, every minute, hour and day. I am sorry you aren't feeling great--but maybe with a bit of sleep, perhaps a visit from a friend or family member, a special food treat, whatever puts a smile on your face and causes you not to think about your hips and recovery for a bit, you are feeling a bit more hopeful today. Cheers and hugs!
 
How are you doing today, @Lea61? I hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat, and not so hard on yourself and the pace of your recovery. Every day is a new day, and another opportunity to remind yourself you are on the road to recovery, no matter how slow paced. Hmm.. I have included a picture--hope I did this right--but I just baked a loaf of bread, using the recipe I sent you. It is a nice, fragrant and crusty loaf sitting on my kitchen counter now. As soon as I finish up with a few more postings, I shall hustle downstairs and cut a slab to slather with lots of butter! Hoping this will put a smile on your face, because isn't that what baked goods are all about--food for the mind and soul?
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral changed to Single
Cheers!
 
Good morning, @Lea61. You haven't checked in for awhile, and I'm hoping it's because you are doing really well, and have been as active as possible and feeling like you are progressing well. Do let us all know how things are going for you when you get a chance.
 
Hi @Barbaraj .... :wave:Thanks for checking in and reaching out to me. Sorry I haven't been around. Just saw your bread... How delicious that looks. I'm going to have my son and his girlfriend make it one day (they love trying new recipes), and I don't think I will be up for baking for awhile yet.​
I have been doing ok.... Having to accept that things are just going a little bit slow. I had the last PT session on Wednesday and he said that I need to stop being so hard on myself (which you have all been saying too)! And he feels that even though it has been slow, I am progressing and doing things that I was not previously able to do (of course, he recommends that I seek out- patient PT).
I primarily use the walker, but I am also using the crutches a lot more and I am walking a longer distance (with the crutches) when I go outside.
I have my follow up visit with the surgeon on Monday. It will be my first car trip since coming home from hospital.
How are you doing?. I'll have to go to your thread to catch up .....
Hope you had a good Saturday. :) :-) (:
 
Hi @Mersada .... How are you ? Thanks for checking in. How did you make out with your summons ?
I'm doing ok. It gets a little frustrating when I feel recovery is going so slow and I don't like still feeling so dependent on others for simple tasks, but it's all part of the process, I guess.
Hope you're having a good week end.
 
Hi @Mersada .... How are you ? Thanks for checking in. How did you make out with your summons ?
I'm doing ok. It gets a little frustrating when I feel recovery is going so slow and I don't like still feeling so dependent on others for simple tasks, but it's all part of the process, I guess.
Hope you're having a good week end.

Hi @Lea61 , I'm ok. I paid the summons, rather than taking time off work to go fight it and probably lose anyway.
You're walking outside with crutches, already, I think that's pretty good.
Atleast, you have people around you willing to do for you. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I really don't have that, but I'll worry about it when the time comes.

Good luck with your visit with your os on Monday. Looking forward to hearing more about your recovery.
 
Hi @Lea61 I am so sorry you’ve been going through a :blackcloud:time of it. I went through a major “I hate being dependent on everyone” phase around four weeks post op... and from what I read it is prime time for the blues. My major swelling wasn’t as far out as yours but was still a major surprise when it happened, as I had cruised along for awhile with nothing.
Swelling will certainly alter your gait and make you stiff etc. My answer to my swelling was major icing. I have the ice machine, so had my hip ice pad on with the machine. Two large ice packs... one on each side of my thigh, another smaller pack on my knee and another one on the outside of my calf. I did that as much as possible on and off and as I could tolerate it, for a good 24 hours or more, and it really helped. I find the icing so valuable. My OS said to expect swelling up to three months.
Another thing, don’t compare your recovery to others. Hard not to I know, but try not to. Remember how long you were in surgery for, it wasn’t easy on your body. Once you get that swelling under control, things will start to move along. I would also drop all formal exercises and just walk around. There will be time for strength training later. That swelling is your body’s way of saying back off. I understand the little voice that is telling you all sorts of things you should be doing with the holidays coming up, second surgery, trying to do more for your sisters etc. :good-bad: Try to give in to what your body needs, for a few days and I’m sure you will get a shift.
I’m finding it harder to:ice: in the colder weather... and you are having heating issues, which doesn’t help... but the ice does really help the swelling and the pain and stiffness.
Thinking if you and hoping your OS can give you reassurances this week.
Sending a big cyber hug your way:roseshwr:
 
I’m my limited experience (two months ahead of you), recovery comes in fits and starts. It seems painfully slow, and then suddenly your walking down the block... then some muscle (or many) will get strained and recovery seems light years away, then a week later you climbing stairs like a spring chick... and so on and so on. Not really two steps forward one step back... more like one small step in recovery, one giant lead for hippy kind :tada:
 
Well, @Lea61, I agree with everyone else (and with you, too, as you know this) that being hard on yourself and getting frustrated with what you feel is slower progress than what you'd like is a waste of time and energy. Sure, it's hard when you think about other recoveries which seem faster and easier than yours, but think about HOW FAR YOU'VE COME since surgery! You are progressing, although still using the walker, you are using crutches and taking somewhat longer walks outside, and "doing things I wasn't previously able to do". Take the "glass half full" approach and remember that even if it feels like swimming through molasses at times, you really and truly have come a long way and should be proud of yourself! Recovery is hard, no question about it, but the good news is that every one of us is on the recovery road and you have lots and lots of fellow travelers, some maybe a little faster than you, some lagging behind you, and probably other folks who are proceeding at the same pace. Check out other posts, I found that helpful in the early stages of recovery because it illustrated what I've just said--lots of different folks, lots of different recoveries--we are all unique but also all going through this together. Celebrate your success so far, and give yourself a pat on the back. You will get through this, and every day is a day closer to full recovery. Happy Sunday!
 
@Lea61 Hope you've had a better day today. I was on my phone with the last message to you, so more than usual typos etc!! I meant to also say put your feet up on the couch/recliner/bed when you ice!

Thinking of you :-)
 
Happy Monday!
Best of luck with your appointment today and your first car ride since surgery. Getting out of the house will be good for you, even if you're only a passenger. It's important for our mental state to feel like we're part of the world again. Let us know how your visit goes.
I hope today is a good one!
@Lea61
 
Good luck with your surgeon appointment today, @Lea61 . Hope the car ride isn't too uncomfortable and think how nice it will be to get out and about! A change in scenery is usually a good thing when we've been stuck at home for a long time and getting a bit surly with "cabin fever", or at least that's how it was for me. I remember my first meal out with my husband and although I was a bit uncomfortable by the end, it was just nice to get out there and "pretend" to be normal for an evening, a great mood booster. Depending upon what time your appointment is scheduled, maybe lunch or coffee afterwards? Have a good day, another day along the recovery journey and one day closer to the end! Cheers.
 
Thank you .... @Barbaraj , @Alitm , @Layla @Mersada and @wonkyhipoy
I appreciate all your well wishes; you have all been so helpful and kind through this whole process called "recovery".
Unfortunately, I did not receive good news from the surgeon. The x-ray taken today showed that my hip has dislocated. He (we) don't know when or why it happened (I did not have any falls (or even near falls). Two days after returning home from the hospital, I did experience severe pain but I had attributed it to not taking the correct dose of Tramadol, and once I had increased it, I felt the pain was tolerable. As you all know, I have been complaining that my recovery was going very slowly...... and now I guess I know why. I don't understand it, especially since I never did fall into that ODIC, (if anything, I was more into the "under do it club") !
My OS wants to take care of this right away and he scheduled me for surgery on Wednesday (Nov. 7).
That's my update for now....... I am understandably upset by this news, but I have no choice but to accept what has happened, take care of it, and move on (again) !
Thanks for all your continued support :)
 
I'm so very sorry, Lea
I've always heard and read here that~ full dislocation is very disabling and extremely painful.
The leg will be internally rotated and the patient unable to even get off the bed.
Have you experienced pain of this sort? I'm concerned for you to rush into surgery in two days without a full understanding of your situation, yourself. I wish you had a copy of the x-ray to post for Josephine to look at, or that you would consider a second opinion if you're not in pain, but only recovering at a slower pace than you expected. Do you still have the swelling and pain you mentioned about a week and a half ago? Has it improved? Worsened?
@Lea61
 
hi @Layla .... I do still have swelling; some days a little more than other days. I did use my cell phone to take a pic of the x-ray. I will try to upload it now for you to see.
Thanks......
 
I won't be able to read it, sweetie, but Josephine may be able to glean something from it. Not sure though. It depends how it comes across.
Wishing you comfort.
@Lea61
 
Here is a picture of the x-ray. Bottom one taken after surgery, top one taken today.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bilateral changed to Single
    IMG_1272.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 193

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom