THR BeBe finally!!!

You are only 6 weeks out - still lots of healing going on. That new hip and the muscles around it are still weak. Just give it time.

Hope your OS can even up that LLD when you have your second THR.
 
BeBe ......I'm in awe as to how much walking you're doing, I'm probably doing half of that! Not quite sure as to how many steps I'm doing as my wrist tracker hasn't been counting them while I'm on the crutches. Then 5 mins ago I had :idea:......if I put it on the other wrist (that isn't holding the cane) it will probably start tracking steps normally again......doh :doh:I guess the old brain cells aren't up to speed yet!! I'm also walking 'free' round the house, but limp after the first half a dozen steps, so go back to the cane, don't want it to become a habit. This past week I feel as if I've hit a plateau improvement-wise, even maybe gone slightly backwards.....the past few days I've become a real wriggler when I'm sitting in the evening, my bum aches a lot. Hopefully this too will pass and we'll have a sudden surging improvement :happydance:
 
When did your sense of weakness and instability leave your new hip?

I’m coming up on 9 weeks and still have weakness. I don’t attribute it to the hip but more to the muscles in the leg.
 
@Hippielife and @Jaycey
It is SO hard to have patience with this healing process! Everyday there is a little progress in one area then a bit of a setback or new issue. Those are the things I tend to focus on.
I'm thankful for your gentle reminders to temper my expectations!
@anny
I had a few days last week where I had to run errands and go a few places and did that in addition to my usual
Walks. So the steps really add up. But also really tire me out! Over this weekend I'm just hanging out at home and doing less walking. I wear the Quell on my left leg and it needs to be changed to the other leg or removed after a few hours so since I don't like it on my op leg I don't wear it much.
I would like to get a tracker to wear on my wrist then I could wear it all the time but hate to spend the $ when this one works well plus works for pain relief too .
I know what you mean about the achy bum. And the plateaus. . So today I have new nerve pains in my incision area. pretty zingy and uncomfortable. Guess I need to get outside and walk in the rain!
@hikejunkie
Are you doing any PT for leg muscles? I had the run in with the ODIC early on so now just walk. But feel a weakness and some discomfort in the joint when I have a very active day. So this weekend laying low and walking a bit less.
 
I don't know what a Quell is but I tried my wife's fitbit once. Numbers mean nothing so I canned it and just did what I felt was good. I try to analyze what hurts when it hurts and I never had joint pain any more. There have been pains in that area but a little research and movement and it was muscles. Pains and zings still happening, just not as often. I still do my original PT of stretches and movements, did 3x a day for the first 6 wks solid. After that activity took over so I cut back. I do the PT on both legs so the other stays up to speed. Now that I'm overdoing on a regular basis my rt is taking the left's place as the bad hip!
 
re the nerve pains in your incision area BeBe....did they start fairly early on, or did you have numbness there first? I've got a plate sized numb area on my bum/top of thigh, that feels a bit creepy to touch.....but at least I know I've got the icepack in the right place cos I don't feel it at all!
 
@Eman85
The Quell is a TENS devise you can wear 24/7 if needed to alleviate pain. I bought mine a year ago out of desperation with the pain of my preop hip and back pain. This thing works great for me and even though it was a bit spendy it has been a real help with pain relief for me. It also works as an activity tracker and sleep tracker.
Very useful but I agree numbers mean nothing and you have to listen to your body. Closely!
@anny
The zings and zaps just started a couple days ago. I did not have this in the incision area at all until now. Some minor loss of sensation just on the inch or so around the scar but minimal. My incision has looked fabulous (still does) the whole time so far and has never been an issue.
This am I am a bit concerned tho, this morning my incision and just below feels hot to touch, no redness but very tender and warm. This is completely new and I believe it is fallout from my errand packed week last week.
I have been a couch potato for three days now compared and just doing short walks around my yard and house.
I did one walk on the driveway on Saturday. The walk helped the zings but now this hip is hot this morning!!
I have my OS followup and X-ray on Tuesday 8th. Good thing because I would call him about this new development.
@hikejunkie
That sounds like a leg workout for sure! Have you just recently started those exercises? I am envious of you guys who can do more vigorous workouts. I was ready to start some targeted moves to add to the walking but now have this hot hip which is odd and new to me so feel I have to get the OS to weigh in.

Spring weather is finally so great here I've got to get outside. Happy day to you all!
 
OK, I didn't know what the Quello was but I thought a Tens was only for muscle pain. With this hip deal I wouldn't want that on the muscles now The feelings around my incision changed at times and are still changing a little I've had some new "pinches" just lately. Can't comment on warm feeling. I know many on this site don't do or recommend doing anything nut walking. I followed my OS and did all of mine on my own after the demonstration PT at the hospital. I did my PT, mostly lying in bed, on my own 3x a day. Almost all of it was stretches and muscle contractions except for leg lifts,heel raises and shallow squats.
How do you tag someones name in a post like you did?
 
@Eman85
Just like that. Type the @ then start the screen name, if you type in three or four letters, a box drops down and you can pick the name from the list if it's similar to other names. For me it would be @BeBe
I did do all of the bed stretches and standing stretches too. Had to as I has such bad muscle cramping early on Those moves actually felt good and necessary. My third PT appointment the therapist was so encouraged by my ROM she strapped weights on my legs. This was a very bad idea and took me about three weeks to get back to where I was before that last PT session. My OS then said no more PT.
The Quell works like a TENS but you only wear it just below your knee on either leg. You don't put it on the site of your pain. The theory is it helps to stimulate the release of your bodies natural endorphins which in turn lessens your pain. Endorphins are considered a natural morphine that your body can produce. Doesn't matter what the pain is from.
It just helps to decrease your perception of pain. Using the Quell helps me use a couple doses LESS per day medication than if I don't use it. Was a good help when I was trying to get off the narcotics.
 
I don't like the bands or the weights...I did more reps when I wanted and less tension.

Good explanation on how TENS works.
They used one on me Pre diagnosis at PT, I begged them, tried to bribe them to leave it on.

I found a little help with Kinesiotape at times.
Hope your evening is peaceful
 
Last edited:
@BeBe I think I've got it! I've had TENS on my back in the past and they used it on my knee after surgery on it. I can't believe they put weights on your legs! My OS didn't recommend any outside PT, he said if I wanted he'd write a prescription for it but he said they'll probably hurt you.
 
Sorry about your tender bits BeBe.....lots of ice and a well-deserved rest will hopefully sort it. Funny reading about the TENS unit....last time I came across it was 30 years ago when I was in early labour.....felt like being stung by a swarm of bees, but certainly took your mind off the contractions (for a while anyway!)
 
Hi there,
Hoping the area around your incision is feeling better today (the warmth)
I had the numbness for sure. It last for months in various spots.
Wishing you a good day @BeBe
 
@anny @Layla anyone else who might be around
I had my 6 week follow up with the OS today. 2 hour drive there - 2 hours back. Long day!
The X-ray looks good according to the OS. My precautions have been lifted. I can take a tub bath!!

But here is the biggie - I have scheduled my left hip for August 17! Soonest appointment I could get.

OS was quite pleased with how I'm doing given how I was at 3 weeks; he was surprised then that I wasn't doing better but also that every joint is different. No predicting. He felt that my new pains in incision
were from the healing process and typical of this stage. Also that I would be limited in my recovery of first hip until the second hip is done.

I mentioned the instability I felt in the joint area and he said I might be careful in my movements for another 6-8 weeks since there is a lot of healing going on for quite awhile. Saying if I have to bend down, to spread my legs and reach between them. Since my back still has issues and other hip is shot, his advice was to just be as active as I can manage and continue walking and stretches.

So there's my update. I'm tired, so catch you all later!
 
hi all! @BeBe im scheduled for my left hip also on 8/17 ! i have not checked in lately and have not had time to read many updates, but my legs are also uneven too, i put dr scholls shoe liner things in all my left shoes, i still wake up in the most pain of all....lower back pain and worst of all, if i dont take some sort of NSAID or pain releiver before bed each night the center inside of my knees throb like a bad toothache all throughout the night! It seems worse in my right THR leg, but i am up and going all day long. My surgery was 3/1/18. I do feel a difference in hip pain and some relief but nowhere near what kind of relief I was hoping for :(
 
@BeBe - sounds like a good visit at the OS. Glad you are scheduled now for your left (yay!), even if you do have to wait til August (boo!) You are one tough cookie, so I know you’ll manage until then. But hopefully, that hip won’t give you too much trouble in the meantime. Take care!
 
Glad you had good report.
Still early days...don't worry.
Things will keep improving.
My legs were shoe and numb for many many months along with alot of stings and zaps.
All okay of the process...with huge payoff.
Keep the faith.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom