THR BeBe finally!!!

@Hippielife
You make some great points! I have added naproxen (Aleve) in the am per the OS and this seems to help
The walking go smoother. And I use my Tylenol three times per day. I just cannot go back to anything stronger.
Body just doesn't tolerate it well at all.
I do have a protein smoothie for breakfast too with the Aleve, works fairly well to curb some stomach issues.

@Clipper
Neither the OS or the PT wanted to discuss LLD at this early time in the process. My guess is the new right hip
May be back to "normal" plus, due to a bit of post op inflammation, but coupled with my left leg known being shorter from past drs and PT assessment, the right just seems longer than long. Because the left is originally short? I do need to have X-rays to verify everything as the other ways of measuring are not very accurate.
I guess until my left hip is replaced all of this is a moot point anyway.

It's just the new discrepancy makes the walking mighty uncomfortable.
But off I go for the morning stroll!
 
Hi @BeBe
I keep forgetting to ask and possibly I missed it....
Have you scheduled your other hip?

Wondering if a lot of this would settle once the other is done..
Hope you have a great day!
 
Watch the Aleve as it's a NSAID, I've been told to take with Omeprazole or something else to protect your stomach.
The best way I found to walk without the cane was with a shopping cart, it makes a great walker. Park near a cart corral and get a cart there so you can walk into the store with it. It makes it easy to practice a smooth gait safely on good surfaces. There is no flat ground around here and walking on uneven surfaces made my muscles hurt a lot more than walking on a good surface. Can't say much about leg length as mine worked out OK. I've asked the surgeon how he reassembled me and got it right, he definitely went by matching knees as part of it.
 
@Layla
Hi! No leftie scheduled at this time. It seems prudent to wait until I can lose the walker before I make big second hip plans.
I was all for it but now I am less anxious as I really feel I need this right hip to heal and function well first.
That and some non hip related life issues have surfaced that make me inclined to wait til late fall if possible.
The left is grumbling about things though and won't be able to wait too long.
@Eman85
Yep I am very well acquainted with the stomach issues with Aleve but it's far less now than preop.
And I did find out how great Costco's carts were last Sunday. I didn't make it up and down every aisle but tried to talk my husband into throwing one into the back of the pickup just to borrow for awhile:wink:
My OS only commented that there is not much leg length "adding" to be had working within the joint capsule,
if you measure correctly which implant will fit best, if installed correctly, it just doesn't add length apparently.
Maybe I lost some space wearing my femur down to a stub before surgery, and now it's back to normal?
I missed my long walk on the flat bottom part of the driveway today. Got ready to go out and it's been snowing!!
 
My rt. hip is bad, but not as bad as my left was. After the butt kicking this left one was I hope I take my rt. one to the finish line! I've had surgeries before but I'm amazed at how far this has taken me down as far as strength and endurance.
 
I'm with you @BeBe. I'd want to wait also. I'd want to feel I was healed, strong and ready to take on another major surgery. Kind of comical now but 8 yrs ago my dad had his first hip done. He had his second done 5 months later. He was 73. I recall being so worried and tried talking him out of doing it so soon! Since my days here, I've realized some members replace both of them in quick succession. Knowing myself, I'd give it more time....just like you. Hope you're comfortable. Wishing you a peaceful rest of the week!
 
@BeBe - aww, sorry to hear this continues to be a problem for you. I agree with you and the responses here that it would be wise to wait on the left THR, and that getting input from a PT would be helpful on your LLD.

All I really know is my experience... my right leg felt too long for a couple weeks after surgery, but it feels okay now. I think this is a common sensation, which may be why your OS is not yet taking it too seriously. I walked around on a collapsed hip joint for a few months prior to surgery, and that threw my pelvis out of alignment and all my muscles out of whack. Your hip was in bad shape, too, from the sounds of it - and if I recall correctly from the pre-op side, you had to wait quite a long time for your surgery. So, to me, it makes sense that it might just take a longer time for your body to adjust to your right leg being the proper length (assuming, hopefully, it is). With the pain/tightness in your IT band, that could indicate your leg muscles and tendons got shorter - and then in theory, your back muscles would be over-extended on that side. It will take quite a while to correct all those muscle imbalances.

Even though it does not feel good now, it might be worthwhile to try walking more (or at least standing) with both shoes on. With the shoe off, you might be “enabling” all those imbalances to persist. That said, I would definitely talk to a PT and/or your OS about your best course of action. Stretching has been the most helpful thing for me. I don’t do the strength exercises the PT gave me, but the stretches feel good. Sitting on my bed (with my knees bent right at the edge and my lower legs hanging down toward the floor), then laying back - on a pillow at first - was a simple stretch that really opened my quads.

Hang in there, friend. We’re pulling for you! :)
 
Hi all!
Walking with the cane better around in the house but only if I am "one shoe off and one shoe on"
I do alternate with shoes on both feet and on/off, as I can tolerate. Clearly not ideal but if I don't do this
shoe shuffle thing, it's a world of hurt. Not sure what else I can do and remain somewhat active. Ha! Active!

I'm a couch potato, on ice...who occasionally strolls around with various contraptions in a futile attempt to not limp. Today I made a pot of beef stew, tried to stand to do all the chopping, both shoes on. Did for a bit say 20 min then grabbed the stool. Put the pot to simmer and off to my ice and recliner.


I walked to the barn this morning with the walker and grabbed the halter on my Lucky girl, SHE then helped me walk to the paddock gate, without the walker, otherwise she would have been in the trees.! Good girl! After I let her out to pasture, I had to hold the fence all the way back to my walker!
Next I made it down to the third tree on my driveway. With shoes on. I could probably do it all but it is a big hill and I would have to "lose a shoe" to tolerate it.

Little accomplishments but they are mine. The sun was shining.
 
Yeah for accomplishments @BeBe
Preparing a pot of stew had to feel great, I'm happy for you!
Your sense of humor and spirit of gratitude are admirable and inspiring.
I hope today is good!
 
Little accomplishments add up to big progress BeBe! I know I probably look for improvement on a day to day basis, but only see it when I look back over a week or more. We're getting there.....just not fast enough for us impatient patients ('patients'?.....that's a misnomer if ever I heard one! :heehee:)
 
@anny
You are so right on that point about improving over a week!
Last week I could not use the cane to walk into the OS office for my postop check.
Had to use the walker and that was so difficult after a two hour ride.
Today my husband and I went out for breakfast, ran errands, went to a couple shops,
all with me using my CANE!! Big accomplishment, and I was still able to do two walks
with my walker on the driveway when we got home.
Of course now I am icing.
 
All that with a cane?! You're motoring, BeBe.....I wouldn't trust myself with a cane outside, still feels a little wobbly.....of course, I could have my personal slave following on behind with the crutch just in case?! I'm not surprised you needed the ice after that lot, but hopefully you've got it pegged as to how much you can do and then just baby it with the ice....it's when we do more than the ice can cope with and get laid up for several days we need slapped wrists :doh::heehee: Have a lovely weekend, hope the sun shines all the way thro :SUNsmile:
 
Wonderful news and progress! @BeBe
I loved ditching that walker :happydance:
It became a catch all in the corner for all the paraphernalia my parents borrowed me.
Hung things on it and draped things over it. O happy day when I got into my vehicle,
without pain, and got rid of it all! It's coming BeBe, it's coming!
Happy weekend to you :loveshwr:
 
Happy to hear you are doing well @BeBe. Keep up the good work. I am just beginning to walk a bit on my own around the kitchen putting one finger on the counter. Amazing that one finger works! Good work with that cane. I am wedded to mine.:happydance:
 
@BeBe - came by to check on you, and wow, you are doing great! :yahoo: What a difference a week can make, right? Hope that ice does the trick and keeps the soreness away! :ice:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary! :yay:
Hope you're feeling like this > :happydance: or this > :dancy: or this > :spin:
If you're not...you will be soon enough!
Wishing you a great week and all the best as you move forward :friends:
@BeBe
 
Thanks @Layla ! Hi @TinyMom @zinnia @anny
Not exactly dancing yet like @SaraK , but I have moved on from the walker to the cane!
It's kind of forced on me a bit because I wore out the little leg caps on the walker and was
Afraid they would gouge up my hardwood floors. Can't have that!
Last Friday I picked up a second cane at the thrift store and I can cruise better out in the yard on the uneven ground with both canes going. My husband took me out and about yesterday and it was great to get around on the cane/canes. Walking more upright and straighter back too.
So still having some weak unsteadiness in my new hip, and pain if I do too much. Still limping badly without cane and can only manage a couple steps on my own. Also the old left hip is really getting my attention since I have moved to the cane. Especially with both shoes on. Not sure how long I have to recouperate the new one, before old lefty goes south for good.
I caught a glimpse of myself walking into a store (door reflection) and was appalled at the way my lower leg juts out to the side on the surgical leg to compensate for the LLD. Compensation queen here...no wonder the knee and surrounding muscles are sore. Was not walking like that prior. Just limping badly.
So now I'm really really trying to walk the straight and narrow with feet pointed in appropriate directions.
Much easier with the one shoe off.
@zinnia you are doing so well with your one finger! Fabulous!
 
So many things to remember when we're walking now.....heel/toe, stand up straight, look ahead, shoulder blades tucked back.....goodness knows how we ever learned to walk as toddlers :heehee: Well done on the cane, I'm about the same stage, also finding it challenging taking steps without it, but will give it a try every now and again, and hopefully soon it will suddenly feel easier
 
Does take concentration...that standing up straight and walking properly after all that bad posture and gait.
Splendid work for one month, BeBe.
Sorry the LLD is such a hindrance.
Hope your week is sweet !
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom