Guest viewing is limited

THR BeBe finally!!!

Thanks for the update @BeBe
Wonderful news on graduating to the cane. Slow and steady you'll get there.
Too bad you have your other hip working against you and are dealing with the LLD.
Hopefully when the next is done it will eliminate all of that. You're doing great though, keep it up.
Wishing you a beautiful day!
 
@BeBe, @anny, You guys are doing so great. I'm sorry, BeBe, that you have that LLD to deal with. I can't imagine how difficult that is to try to handle along with everything else. But you are doing so well with it! I have had at least one "burn" the walker cookout on this journey and I plan to have another when I am out of woods with this last surgery. Keep those shoulders back and your head up looking forward. . .we'll all get there. I have to remember what everyone tells me on BS, "patience, patience". In the mean time have a glorious week, Everyone. And tuck that tummy too! :wink:
 
Just got back from my first solo driving outing!
Had to take my van into the shop for oil change and check an issue.
Driving went well, had to walk quite far from where I had to park the van.
But the worst was the chairs in the waiting room. Every time I sit upright in a regular chair
It puts my leg to sleep? These were slightly padded but still. I think it's odd.
Back home now icing in the recliner
 
I think that's pretty standard @BeBe. At least it was for me. It would be so stiffening for me, it would take a count of 10 or there about to give me time to take the first step when I got up. And then it was a slow, small step. I am better now. I can go an hour or two in a somewhat padded chair but I come prepared with my own seat cushion must in case. Since my third surgery (new surgeon) I am much more comfortable with this hip and grateful for it. I don't think it's odd that your leg goes to sleep. I don't understand the functioning in that but I don't think it is uncommon. Icing in the recliner is an excellent idea! Does the leg come back awake easily? :flwrysmile:
 
@zinnia
Thanks for your perspective! So happy to hear you are having it easier this go around.
I did mention this to my OS at my 3 week followup post op. He felt it was still from inflammation, so he suggested I take a daily aleve.
I do have low back issues and symptoms but never had the asleep feeling like I have now. Ok riding in car,
sitting in recliner, even ok in a booth at a restaurant but not at a table in a chair.
I have gone to using a pillow at my computer desk but I still have leg go to sleep.
So will have to give this some time. And yes it comes around after I get moving but the first few steps are numby.
 
I've had a pinched nerve before that was caused by a muscle pull - doctor said that the swelling in the muscle was putting pressure on the nerve.
 
Hi BeBe - well done on the driving, you're braver than me! I keep thinking I ought to find a carpark and give it a try, then I chicken out and think I'll wait for the surgeon's checkup next week. I don't know about the numbness after sitting on a hard chair, as I only sit on very well padded ones at the moment but I do remember pre-op if I had to sit on an upright chair I would get a very numb bum and found it pretty uncomfortable....lots of fidgeting. So it's probably not surprising it's still a challenge.....don't think hard seats are ever comfortable no matter how fit you are, maybe the pressure compresses the blood supply and makes it numb, like when you sit with your foot slightly twisted and then it's dead when you stand up? I do like to have explanations....make them up if I can think of something plausible :shrug::heehee:
 
@SaraK @anny
Maybe I'm one of those that has the sciatic nerve intertwined in the piriformis? That's a question for my OS as he went to great lengths to explain how he deals with that muscle attachment with this approach.
I have had my share of sciatic issues in the past and this is not that so much though,Thankfully!
Yes Anny like when we used to be able to sit on our legs and they would fall asleep.
Just have to give things more time.
Guess I have not learned all of the patience skills yet...might have to have the left hip done soon so I can practice a bit more!
 
Hi @BeBe, sounds like you are getting around pretty well with your cane! :yay: The gait issues are tough - agree there’s an awful lot to think about with each step! My gait has gotten a bit better, but I still can’t seem to get it right. Some days I wonder if I will ever walk normally again.

You have a good list of questions going for your OS - between the LLD, your left hip, and your leg falling asleep. That last one is an interesting one - please let us know what you learn!

Keep up the good work!
 
@TinyMom
I have faith we will get get back to a better normal than we had prior to surgery!
It might be asking a lot to get back to pre OA for me; that horse has been out to pasture awhile.
My goal is to walk without aids, not have a limp, and be able to ride one of my horses again.
That last one might be fairly lofty as the horse might have other ideas...
 
Don't underestimate the possibilities, Bebe.
Only one month out...and that is absolutely NO measure of what can be!
As Jaycey so famously told me, patience is prescribed in large doses.
Sometimes there are annoying recovery issues, but I'm confident you will get better and better.
Keep the faith!:ok:
 
Maybe I'm one of those that has the sciatic nerve intertwined in the piriformis? That's a question for my OS as he went to great lengths to explain how he deals with that muscle attachment with this approach.
Did he cut the piriformis for better access to the joint during surgery and later suture it?
 
@Bumblebee
Hi! As he explained it he doesnt cut it, but does use a type of "fork" instrument to pierce the muscle and in this way it can stretch better to accommodate the surgery. The muscle then heals and tightens back. This way the piriformis stays attached to the bones and less scar tissue is formed.

I've had a bit of a setback today, out trying to run a couple errands. My left hip is now demanding it's due for surgery! I am using the cane everywhere and today I ran into whole bunches of pain from my left hip. Could hardly put weight on it, groin pain and deeper. You all know that pain. So I had to slowly get back across the parking lot using my cane in the middle to support both hips. My new hip on the right was pretty grouchy about having to pull weight by itself!
This is what I get for walking to the mailbox and back! Back on ice in recliner...
 
Oh no! Sorry about your setback @BeBe! Are you going to go back to the walker for a little bit until things calm down? I can’t imagine having 2 grouchy hips at once, even if one is on the mend. Hope the ice is helpful!

Sending good thoughts your way! :flwrysmile:
 
Aww, BeBe....I'm sorry, that's too bad. Recovery in itself can be challenging but even more so with a
hip that's healing and another that's failing. I hope with some rest and ice it gets better so you can get through this recovery, before contemplating another.
Best wishes for a peaceful evening and relaxing day tomorrow.
@BeBe
 
@TinyMom @Layla
Thanks for the good wishes. As you know nothing about hip recovery stays the same for very long. Remember what hikejunkie said about the traveling salesman of pain? Moves everywhere.
I had been making some progress this week and trying for steady walks with good form, using one cane. I was even able to take a few unaided steps. Apparently too much. Or it's just time for the left to blow up again.

Now today I am back to two canes as I can't fully bear weight on either hip.
My husband and I were just talking yesterday about the game plan going forward for having the Left fixed. Timing would be better after the summer for a million reasons, work projects, family issues etc.
Of course with my track record I could schedule it for next month and still have to wait 6 months!:wink:
 
ouch BeBe......sorry leftie is taking you to task! My left is being extremely well behaved and painfree, to the point where I'm scratching my head and wondering if I get it done or not! Regarding your next op, could you book it in and move the date if it doesn't fit in with commitments? I (now) always work on the basis of saying yes to the next appt for whatever, on the basis that it's probably easier to move it than try to get one nearer the date.....and it stops me putting it off! Not sure I've put that very clearly, but I'm in bed and the brain is shutting down. Hope the ice calms them both down to a manageable level.....you need to read them the riot act about this competing for attention!
 
@BeBe You are only just less than 4 weeks out from a major op. Don't set your expectations so high. Lots of muscles and soft tissues need time to heal. Use those walking aids until you feel totally confident and have no discomfort walking. Keeping the weight off that sore hip will also help.
 
Hi Everybody! Time for an update. I was at 6 weeks post op yesterday. I am back to walking with one cane.

Inside the house I can do some walking aid free BUT I limp very badly and this is probably not helping anything.
First thing in the morning is tough, so I use one cane in the middle to benefit both my new but still weak right hip and my rapidly failing left hip. Once my Tylenol and aleve kick in I am able to go about my day fairly well with the one cane, although I have started to alternate which side I use it on.
Going up or down stairs is still a one at a time thing. My new hip is sometimes able to do the lead here as the left is getting worse by the day.
I have my 6 week OS post op on Tuesday and I will be looking to schedule my left hip for possibly the beginning of August as that would work for my schedule. It is becoming clearer by the day that the left is holding up the process of becoming pain free.
There is still the distinct feeling of LLD, so limping very badly without cane and shoe elevation. That being said once balanced and moving, I do pretty well and have logged between 6000 and 8200 steps per day according to the Quell which I wear only when I am out and about, not constantly 24/7. So this past week I probably did make 10000 steps every day. No wonder Lefty is griping!

I have a question for all of you post op hippies. When did your sense of weakness and instability leave your new hip? I feel a bit weak and wobbled and insecure. Still practicing my precautions and won't feel comfortable giving them up.
Oh and I noticed the other day as I got in the car, Righty leg just bent and I got in! Not until I then reached for my left leg to help it lift up, that I realized Righty was pain free getting into the car!
 
Bebe...your at 6 weeks so proud of all your improvements and from your post you are doing great. Sorry to hear the opposite hip his calling out in pain and once August comes then THR on that hip will help you improve and less pain. Still very early in the healing process. Try to not over do and rush healing. Take precautions daily thinking ahead of movements and how to improve your gate. It will all come together on its own. Lots of ice and pain meds when needs as well as following your surgeons recommendations.
Many healing blessing sent your way..
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom