BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] BeBe finally!!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by BeBe, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Uh oh! Poor BeBe. Entered the ODIC :scary:
    I sure hope you're not getting a cold in addition to nursing sore muscles. Sad thing is...sometimes we don't know our limitations until we've pushed it too far. Hope you're feeling better by tomorrow.
    Wishing you comfort and a quick return to your current normal.
    Hugs :console2:
    @BeBe

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. TinyMom

TinyMom member

@BeBe - oh no, not the ODIC! We all know how it happens... this sitting around stuff can make one very antsy! Hope you are feeling better as you relax today. :ice:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    I've learned my lesson....one small amount of overenthuisiasm, makes for a much lengthier stay in the ODIC :whistle: If you can't get the ants under control @BeBe, maybe a shortlived and very minor cold would slow you down :wink: Hope you're not feeling really grotty tho, rest up and take a day or two off

• Like Like x 1
  4. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

I’ve also been a member of the ODIC. Just took one time and I learned my lesson. My current strategy on PT days is to do nothing else. No coming home and cleaning, etc. The good thing is we get to a point in recovery where things are going well. The bad thing is we forget there’s a lot of deep healing still going on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Layla

Thinking of you this morning @BeBe
    Wondering how you're doing? Hopefully you've made it out of the ODIC.
    Coming up on three weeks already. Hope you're feeling stronger day by day.
    A great rest of the week to you!

6. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @BeBe just checking in to see how you're doing. :friends:

7. BeBe

BeBe graduate

Hi all! Three weeks out tomorrow!

I have not posted much lately because this iPad seems to be on its last legs. Same for my laptop.
    Also have not been able to spend much time at my desktop computer because of the chair. Tried to work there yesterday and my leg fell asleep.
    Even with extra padding etc just not ergonomically good post surgery. So anyway.

Today was my first followup appt with my OS. Had the 2 hr drive to his second office. My husband drove me.
    By the time I got out of the car, I had to use my walker. I have been working at using the cane this week wanting to walk into OS with cane and it is just a no go! I can do a bit around in the house but am looking for other hand holds while using cane.
    Can't put that much weight on my hip just yet. Starting to notice "stem" discomfort? Where before this past week I had minimal hip pain. Most of the pain previously was muscular as I perceive it anyway. Now I've begun to feel a little bone ache?
    Still suffering fallout from my ODIC with PT a week ago. I have had several episodes of my leg falling asleep this past week. Might be combination of the THR and my spine issues and ODIC.
    That and my LLD seems to aggravate hip pain. Much less of an issue when I use my shoe with orthotic on left leg and go barefoot on right. Evens things out and the pain is way less. I realized that about 3 days ago after I started walking outside. Can't do it with both shoes on. Causes huge limp.

I discussed all of this with the OS and he decided it might be best to forgo PT until I see him again in 3 weeks. He said give the LLD time. He thinks it is more perception. I feel and see a bit more than an inch.
    He just wants me walking with the walker and focusing on form. He said years ago we did not have people do much PT, time heals hips. Wonder where I've heard that before...
    He suggested I try an Aleve per day as my stomach allows. Otherwise I am just using 1000mg of Tylenol 3 times per day.

On the bright side I can drive!! Practiced a few times up and down my 900 ft driveway to get to the mail box this past week. Not sure were I'm going but as soon as I ditch the walker I'm outta here!!

Sorry if this post seems disjointed. I will be typing along and whole sentences disappear. Guess I could go computer shopping right?
    Off I go to check on you all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. TinyMom

TinyMom member

Hi @BeBe - good to hear from you! Sorry that you are still dealing with pain (and some new pains, ugh!), but SO glad you can drive now! Yay! It makes sense to me that you should forgo PT, at least for a while. Sounds like so far it has done more harm than good (we have heard that somewhere before, too :heehee:).

Hope you continue to make progress, even if there are a few steps backwards here and there. Take care, and stay out of the ODIC! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad all seems to be getting better.
    Hope you'll have a way to join us at JRAD tomorrow.
    Have a great weekend!:tada:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Layla

Happy Three Week Anniversary! :yay:

Whew! Two hr drive each way to the OS. That's a long one. I struggled with being comfortable in the car for any longer than 30-45 mins the first couple of months. You're a trooper.
    Sorry you're still suffering pain. I think the advice from your OS to hold off on PT will benefit you.
    Yay for driving :driver: it's so great to regain that independence. Slowly but surely you'll get there @BeBe
    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @BeBe.....driving! I'm jealous, even if it is only 900' :) I'm supposed to wait till I see my surgeon in 3 wks. I'm with you there on the new aches and pains that seem to be creeping in.....I wondered if part of it was the joint slowly regaining full feeling....thought perhaps the tissues were in shock, as well as anaesthetised, and took a while to wake up. Add to that the increasing activity (I don't do any exercises but I do go up and down stairs several times a day)and I suppose we shouldn't be surprised if it's having a bit of a whinge. Hope the LL thing is sorted soon for you, not very restful when you've got something like that niggling away at the back of your mind! Have a great weekend :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

Ah, driving. Lucky gal. :) I’m hoping to be cleared on Wednesday, 18th.

With the bone ache - I’ve thought that too when I get pain mid thigh. Told PT this and she poked around and found a sore spot that’s actually muscular. Just feels like my bones hurt. I had issues in the same area pre-op. Hoping it’s nothing serious for you.

LLD - I thought I had this initially but it was actually a gait issue due to weakness in the hip. Kind of looked like the Trendelenburg gait and it felt like it was an LLD issue but as time has moved forward and I’m gaining strength it’s gone. Hope things work out ok for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@hikejunkie
    Just posted to your thread then came here...
    You know I do think most of my pain is muscular and I was in really tough shape prior to surgery, so it is
    bound to be uphill relearning to walk.
    I just do so much better with left shoe on and right shoe off. Pain is significantly less and limp is less.
    OS thinks it's perception tho and wants me to alternate. Guess I need more time and healing.
    And yeah I can drive but will be awhile before I can actually go do anything:) :-) (:

14. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

OS didn’t confirm LLD, correct? When you say you can see and feel at least an inch, has anyone actually measured? Early in my recovery my op leg knee would bend and, if it didn’t, I’d feel like something was off, like a LLD, but it wasn’t. I’m not a doctor but I don’t think doing the shoe on one, off on the other is a good idea if the leg length issue isn’t confirmed. Kind of sounds like what we did pre-op - compensating for weakness and/or pain. Hang in there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

I agree you need to affirm that is the issue.

16. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@hikejunkie @Mojo333 @anny @jfm1968 @TinyMom @Layla and all my other BSBuds!

Oh ladies I am the "queen of compensation " at least that is what the PT said.
    I do need to get this LLD sorted out when I go back to see OS May 8. He does X-ray the hip then but will ask him to measure legs?

Years ago (10-12?) when I first started with the back and hip issues my rheumatologist
    wanted me to have a bone scan? to measure, as she was uncertain it was actual LLD
    or hip muscle imbalance or something else.
    I did not have the scan and just started using orthotics which helped.

A few years later another doc and a PT just did the basic eyeball exam of
    hips even on the table and line up ankle bones thing and said my left? was
    maybe 1/2 " shorter.

So my question is -- What do I do with the increase in pain caused by walking with even shoes on?
    Do you just go back to narcotics? No.
    If I do the one shoe on, one shoe off thing, the walking is quite noticibly better. Gait is better, back
    straight. I can go further, and I do not have that femur/quad pain. I am still using the walker 90 % but trying for the cane in the house which I cannot do well unless one shoe on - one shoe off.
    Even height shoes and I am back to almost hobbling with the walker. Definitely limping more. And more
    Painful.
    I'm supposed to walk but not in excess. Im not doing any PT exercises
    My ROM is fairly good and I am still observing precautions. I can sleep on both sides with the big pillows help. Better on non op side though. I have very minimal swelling if any just slight.
    IT band/bursitis is quite unhappy but I had that preop.
    IDK--- this is early in the recovery process and I will take it easy but just is a hitch in the process.
    Time, patience and faith...
    Thanks for listening.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Hippielife

Hippielife member

When doing walking or exercises I always took pain meds before in order to keep moving and remain comfortable. Pain makes the body stiffen up and cramps as a result it took me longer to get back to a comfort level. Don't be afraid to take pain meds it's important to keep pain under control and rest.

Eat before you take pain meds and it may help with nausea. I drank protien shake to coat my tummy.
    Take one day at a time lots of rest and take your time and listen to your body and if it hurts don't do it...famous last words.

Hippie life does have its ups and downs yet once settled in .... life will be back to business as usual. By June you will be past a lot of these issues after surgery.

Remember to drink protien shakes they always made me feel better. Weather it was the chocolate flavor or the energy boosting protein it was very helpful. My OS said the body needs 2400 calories a day for healing after surgery. A great excuse to sneak in a fav sugar free candy bar a moral booster! Yeah! Chocolate fixes everything!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't! Hope you can get medical advice very soon on this BeBe.....doing the one shoe thing (lol reminds me of the nursery rhyme I did with my children when they were little...."Diddle diddle dumpling my son John...." do you have it in your neck of the woods?) hopefully won't cause a problem in the short term, I would think that limping because of pain might cause bigger problems (when I was limping pre-op I had a lot of pain from ITB and achilles on both legs, now miraculously gone overnight!). Rather than a cane (haven't used one yet but would imagine it's not as supportive as a crutch, and one might make you lurch slightly sideways?) could you try two crutches to see if they help? Having tried a walker and crutches I am now a fan of the crutches as they allowed me to stand straighter and I think, encourage you to balance more evenly. Just a thought, oh and one more thing....have you tried an orthotic in the 'short' shoe so that you can wear them both? Don't know if it would make any difference but it might be more comfortable. Fingers crossed you can get it sorted soon, I'll be keeping an eye on you :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clipper

Clipper member

@BeBe - You need a trained PT or other medical expert to measure your leg lengths and quantify how much, if any, difference there is. If real, it will not improve. You will need to compensate with shoe elevations on the shorter leg. If real, your pelvis will slant down toward the shorter leg, which is at a lower elevation. This will also cause the base of your spine to tilt from vertical. If the LLD is small, this may not be a big deal. Best to get it measured to know for sure.

Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Mojo333

Sage advice...BeBe.
    Hope your day is sweet.:angel: