Bilateral TKR 2½ months post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Into my 2nd Day at home and 6 days post-op. So far, at home my legs aren't giving me too much problem except edema in both my ankles and feet. Taking percocet x4hours and dealing with constipation, which sucks so bad. Doctor only sent me home with Percocet, no co lace, no laxatives. Plus I have Interstitial Cystitis, and haven't been taking my home meds for that condition till today. So every time I need to pee, Im rushing to get out of bed to get to the bedside commode, so I don't pee all over. My husband has to undo my ice machine, undo my CPM machine. It's been rough today. Then I had issues with constipation, so bad, that it made my whole body hurt, and then I started feeling nausea. So I called my friend from work Lisa, whom is a Registered Nurse. She went and bought me co lace and a laxative and brought it over. She checked me out, with her stethoscope to see if I have bowel sounds. Looked at me and talked to me for awhile. It was nice, to have a friend that is a Nurse. So guess what, an hour later, I had relief. Felt better in that area, but now Im dealing with a splitting headache. Come on Lord, please give me some relief. <3 Kim:angel:
 
I take my hat off to your for having both done. I took Miralax with my coffee mornings until I got off med's. I double dosed it and that seemed to work fine for me.
You will be amazed how fast you heal and start to move out as the days come and go. Listen to your body and do the ice,elevate,rest routine. Also do your therapy excersises. If your in real pain after them you've gone to far. Rest up and ice for the rest of the day and night and you'll be good to go in the morning again.
One thing I found is it take months and months maybe to a year or so for certain functions you'd like to do like going down stairs without baby stepping and holding on to the railings. So have patience.
I see your 45 yrs old so you will heal so much faster then us "ole folks"
good luck
 
Gosh I could have written your recent post!!! Same thing with me. The machine-peeing-constipation...what a time I had. I am 7 weeks out and knee is doing good but I don't think these pills agree with me. I took Percocet every 4 hours and went to Norco because I thought it was the percocet making feel blah but no relief yet.

Hang in there, all the best for a speedy recovery.
 
Actually, contrary to an earlier post, my GP told me that 'younger' patients have a harder time in recovery as they expect more. You will get there in time, it's very early days. Be kind to yourself and the hardest thing of all ....be patient!
 
Woke up feeling much better today. Low pain, great spirits, Hopes High! Had a decent day in the beginning, However, my husband starts complaining about everything under the sun. :headbang: He has been helping me a lot...yes, and I couldn't be more grateful. Tomorrow is his last day off work and then he is back on-call Friday morning. I won't miss the complaining for today wasn't the only day it happened, but I was too sick to care the other times. But now that Im feeling better and more conscious, its loving annoying.:hairpulling: I want help, and Im worried about him being gone cause I won't have anyone here with me, but I sure won't miss the complaining. Im trying to call my Mom and see if she is available to come sit with me for a couple days and help me. Home Health comes tomorrow. Today started really feeling burning and stretching, and earlier, I was laying in bed trying to elevate my poor feet that are both still swollen like elephant trunks, I was having stabbing pain, was on time for my Percocet. Have it timed on my phone every 4 hours the alarm goes off. Gonna be out of the Percocet by Saturday. Spoke to my Doctors office and they said, "The doctor is conservative and doesn't like to continue using narcotics more than two to three weeks after surgery. So If im out of them, he will call in Vicodin or Norco. Well, Norco gives me a headache. So it's gonna have to be Vicodin. What the eff is up with people!!!! :gaah:I just loving had two knees replaced, cut open, lost blood, had to be transfused and now I being treated like a burden. As if, I should be normal tomorrow. And jumping hoops, and having no pain. Come on!!!!!!
I Need encouragement friends, my Knight in Shinning Armor husband is being a butt head, doctor's office is being a butt head. Have Home Health coming tomorrow, lets see what happens. Pray for me, Im hurting, things are tight, burning, I am a prisoner....I wouldn't turn back, but, currently Im feeling overwhelmed.
Kim:blackcloud:
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2½  months post-op
@KElmore, you can see that your OS only replaces knees and hasn't had one replaced himself or he would see things differently. Try your GP---they are frequently much more helpful in these situations.

Sorry about your hubby---men, you can't live with them, you can't live without them, and you can't kill them. But it really is hard for others who have not been through this to understand how long recovery goes on and how slow it is in the beginning. That's why we're here for you.

Are you elevating (toes above nose) any time you're not on your feet; and icing, icing, icing---at least an hour at a time and longer is even better this early in recovery. I know it's hard to believe right not, but IT WILL GET BETTER---slowly I'm afraid, but IT WILL GET BETTER.

Take your meds, get your legs elevated with ice in front of the TV, watch mind numbing programs and catnap as much as possible.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 2½  months post-op
 
:iagree:


And if Kim's husband is reading this -- hey, your wife has looked after you, now it's your turn. Get on with it, and smile, too.
 
@KElmore- Sorry to hear you're having so much pain & oh yeah the complaining husband! Been there...done that! Very frustrating. I hope you get your pain meds straightened out & as bottomshollow points out that those who haven't gone thru this just don't understand. Try & have a nice day!

Take care,
Gina
 
 
@KElmore congratulations on your BTKR, wow you are so brave!!! It is a horrible stage the pain, constipation but eventually you will come through it. Please take the time out to read the Bonesmart mantra. They helped me immensely in my early days and even now when I need a reminder about something. The articles are fabulous. Nice and short, east to read and suits a reduced concentration span perfectly.

I'm sending you healing thoughts. Take care brave lady

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
So sorry you are having a difficult time with your husband. I can certainly relate! It makes things sooo much harder when your husband isn't providing what you need. When I realized my husband couldn't help me, I reached out to others.....my sister, my best friend, etc. That might be a good choice for you. You need support - physical, emotional, mental. Keep looking till you find it. You'll be much better off if you can get a couple reliable understanding people in your corner. Hopefully you will also get good virtual support on this forum.
Hugs!
 
I'm so sorry that things are just not where you need them. Good for you for saying it. It really is helpful to just be able to say it. Also, to have all of us to validate should help you realize your right. I agree with @ladymax, get some folks in your corner that will give you the support you need.

Can't imagine having both knees done at once. My one was way harder than I imagined. Keep fighting, you rock.
 
@KElmore, congrats on your successful surgery--even if you're not feeling successful right now. Having both done is an amazing thing. You'll get lots of support and cheering from all of us when it gets tough. Let us know how you're doing.


Mckeaty
RTKR 8/14/14
 
@KElmore Glad to have you with us!! I also had some pee issues, especially while on the narcotics!! I take Detrol for my over active bladder and that wasn't helping at all!! :-)

My partner took up my plight and got me some night time pads (Always brand) that helped my feel more secure and protected. For a while it seemed that I was changing them five or six times a day simply because the narcotics had my system so 'sleepy'. Sort of ironic that you get constipation and have trouble 'going' and yet when it comes to peeing, the trouble is there is no holding it back!! :-)

It never ceases to amaze me the topics of discussion we cover here!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
Sorry you are having these issues...especially with your husband. Sometimes they really are useless. I guess they need a break too..it's hard to be the caregiver and I'm sure he's not trying to be annoying on purpose. I like the idea of working wi t h your GP on the pain meds. Maybe you can get some relief with a change in meds.

A friend suggested eating pineapple after surgery to help with the swelling. Thought she was crazy but I did find an article that says pineapple, apples, spinach, tomatoes all help with swelling after surgery. It's worth trying if you can get your husband to go shopping! :) I'm stocking up for my bilateral next week.

Hope your recovery gets better.
 
Hi everyone. Add me to the list of pee issues. This hasn't been discussed here much. I did use depends for a few days when I got home and the surgery/meds knocked me out. I even had an issue the first day in the hospital. I had a spinal and maybe because I was numb soaked myself! Thankfully wonderful nurse caught it right away and cleaned me and the bed! Thankfully it didn't last long! Everyone take care!
 
The one thing I can tell you is that it does get better - but it takes time and a lot of sweat & tears! The 1st 4 weeks were the worst, although once I got the constipation under control (colace & daily Miralax) I could focus on the knee & not my gut. My hat is off to you for the bilateral - at least you don't have to go thru this again! Take care and ice & elevate!
 
So Im 10 days post-op. Things have gotten better.:egypdance: Yay, I have pain, but Im taking my pain meds every 4 hours. As Ive mentioned before, I have my alarm set on my iPhone, so Im not missing the pain meds at all. Dr downgraded me from Oxycodone to Hydrocodone....One is percocet and the downgrade to Norco. Husband is back to work, and still somewhat acting like a butt-head. He seems to think there is so much stress, but the bills are paid, the house is clean, and he only needs to go to work, attend to the dogs when he is home, and bring me my meals. But you know, he agreed to it, before I even had the surgery. When he comes home, besides doing those things I mentioned, since we've been home from the hospital, all he does is sit on the computer playing games.:type: I don't say anything about it, because I know he has helped me a lot, and does deserve to relax, but he tends to forget, Im still disabled, still freshly post-op. :cry:So besides, HIM................... Im relatively in a great mood, considering all I just went thru. A BTKR 10 Days Ago!!!! Ouch!!! :gaah:So Im feeling better, surprisingly I was thinking the worst would happen. We were crying one day, laughing and being strong the next, back n forth. Now here we are, Im 10 days post-op, doing better, walking a bit....getting on with healing. So he can go back to his man ways. Anyway..My constipation is still in effect, but taking the laxatives, and Dr gave me a RX for suppositories. Been icing, using CPM machine, and so far Home Health Nurse has come over 3x. Two days of which we did exercises. He worked me hard. Seriously!!! He says, work hard so you don't have problems later with stiffness, due to scar tissue. You can get thru the pain. In my head I'm thinking of the Bone-smarty mantra!! If it hurts don't do it, well I like the mantra, I do, and I want to follow that part, but His makes a lot of sense too. I don't want to remain stiff, remain stuck at flex ion when I stand. So I've been working hard, pushing my knees hard when he tells me to squeeze the muscle, or straighten the toes, push down the knee. So the second day of PT with him I gained some ROM from his measurements. I was so proud.:yes!: Also on the CPM I can get flexion up to 80. But what I don't understand is that, by the next morning the knees are stiff again and back to 65....So I slowly have to work on the CPM back up to 80. So.....Is this how it will always be? Even after a year of recovery? Will I always be fighting to keep the ROM? :flwrysmile:I wanna thank every single person that has replied to me once or numerous times, with awesome advice and encouragement. It has helped me get thru this rough journey, I didn't think I was going to be brave enough to get to the other side, but I did it!!!! Im here, and now working on healing.:wowspring:...and really the healing part hasn't been so bad, I Praise my Lord and Savior Jesus!!! Thank you for the blessings and strength!!! God Bless All, and Good Night. :chillpill:Kim
 
@KElmore I know al about the butt heads thankfully my daughter in law was here for my first surgery and now I have one coming up in Oct and he keeps saying when get release from the hospital he going to ship me off to my son's in Maryland. Which I am not its a six hour drive. I took care of him with his back surgery I guess being a caregiver is not his style, lol But I will survive and endure
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom