Bilateral TKR 2½ months post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg Madinana!! Poor Thing...Those stinker husbands, Really they have some nerve. So after the hubby acted like an butt last night. I ended up doing a lot without his help using my walker. He woke up this morning, trying to give me affection and calling me sexy. Okay what happen to yesterday. I need help, without attitude, without complaint. Men they crack me up! But Im glad, You have your daughters to help, if your hubby is a butt-head. You need support. I hope everything turns out well for you Madinana. You'll be in my prayers for Oct. :flwrysmile:Love Kim
 
:heehee: That because he wanted your help :loll:@KELmore they always crack me up!!!! thank you for the well wishes I will definitely need them in October!!
 
On the cpm thing-- I can tell you what worked for me. I'd start lower than the max I had made the day before and slowly increase the setting over the course of a session--and I could usually make it a bit farther than I could the day before by the end of the session. It would be to be expected to be stiff first thing. I would stop when it started getting too uncomfortable. Also remember you have swelling at this point in your recovery and that will give you that stiffness.

Yes, you do have to push a bit with your exercises, but not so much that you have intense pain. Think in terms of past the comfort zone, not the :yikes: zone. :wink: Good for you for keeping the mantras in mind.:thumb:
 
... Home Health Nurse has come over 3x. Two days of which we did exercises. He worked me hard. Seriously!!! He says, work hard so you don't have problems later with stiffness, due to scar tissue. You can get thru the pain. In my head I'm thinking of the Bone-smarty mantra!! If it hurts don't do it, well I like the mantra, I do, and I want to follow that part, but His makes a lot of sense too. I don't want to remain stiff, remain stuck at flex ion when I stand. So I've been working hard, pushing my knees hard...
Unfortunately, it does not make sense. Imagine a broken leg; you wouldn't heal it by walking on it. If you pull a muscle, you don't heal it by training.

Overworking tissues that are already swollen is the recipe to inhibit, not promote, ROM. You do need mobility stretches, but they shouldn't hurt.

Why to athletes say 'no pain, no gain'? The pain is caused by damaging muscle; the gain is when they repair themselves stronger in recovery. The same rule does not apply to damage caused by injury, which is what you have.

My advice is to find another therapist, right now.
 
Thanks Roy, I only have Kevin for 6 more visits, but he has been wonderful despite encouraging me to work hard. I understand what your saying, I will definitely take care of my new knees.


Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
 
KElmore, we can swap crappy caregivers stories. My caregiver is a stoned 18 year old who is nice when she wants something. Other than that, she's snippy and makes me feel bad when I need something. It's hard work staying up until 3 in the morning, having sex with the stoner boy next door and then your mother having the audacity to wake her up at 11:30 in the morning because I'd really like some cottage cheese and applesauce and I can't carry the bowl to my bed and use the walker at the same time.

I TOTALLY understand! Plus, I'm already back to work. It's an office job and my bosses come get me and then drive me home. My daughter can't get rid of me fast enough and my bosses can't do without me.

Life is funny! Hang in there, it get's better! I'm 24 days out and have transitioned to crutches for walking outside twice a day and a can inside. Soon you too will have one hand free and can carry your cottage cheese and applesauce yourself!
 
Hi Everyone! I've been away from Bonesmart for a bit, but I've been recovering. Hope all my supportive friends that helped and encouraged me so much are doing fine, even great. I love to hear your all doing great. My new knees have been healing nicely, just trying to get accustomed to them. I know I'll have the rest of my life for that. Still working on pain management, living my life in small spurts. Physical therapy working me hard. Have had days where I did nothing, because so sore from PT. He says that's normal. My range of motion is difficult left knee straightens all the way, and bends to 110 with no pain , right knee my problem child, doesn't straighten all the way. PT really works it to the point of me crying and moaning. He says I have to push it to that point if I ever want it to be straight again, bending is only at 95. Been going to the gym with my husband twice a week, Riding the bike up to 5 miles each time, seems to keep the stiffness away. Well....Going back to work by November 13th. FMLA runs out by then, no job protection . Hope I'm not suffering. 12 hour shifts in the hospital. Anyway hope to hear from you all, God Bless. Love Kimberly
 
Have had days where I did nothing, because so sore from PT. He says that's normal. My range of motion is difficult left knee straightens all the way, and bends to 110 with no pain , right knee my problem child, doesn't straighten all the way. PT really works it to the point of me crying and moaning. He says I have to push it to that point if I ever want it to be straight again, bending is only at 95.
Sounds like your PT is irritating your knee causing more swelling and hindering your progress. You need to tell them to stop, Ask the PT to work on your heel to toe gait, that will help your ROM.
There is no window of opportunity for ROM, here are some articles for you to read.
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
ROM (range of motion) information
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Here are some gentle extension exercises you can do at home:
Extension: exercises for improvement

Sounds like you are doing great, your ROM will come with time. Can you ask for a Phased return to work to ease you back to a full time schedule?
Thanks for the update, and wishing you continued healing,
 
Physical therapy working me hard. Have had days where I did nothing, because so sore from PT. He says that's normal.
Yes, if you work hard. But you shouldn't.
PT really works it to the point of me crying and moaning. He says I have to push it to that point if I ever want it to be straight again, bending is only at 95.
He's wrong. PT shouldn't hurt, he's making it worse. Please, quit.
 
PT really works it to the point of me crying and moaning.
Please remember the Bonesmart mantra---take all therapy and stretching only to the point of discomfort and no further.

This is not a situation of "no pain, no gain", as your therapist must think---it is all about "no pain, more gain."
There is no window of opportunity for ROM, here are some articles for you to read.
I agree! There is no window---and ROM can be gained up to a year---and beyond!
 
@KElmore .... glad to hear you're making progress. Things do get better with time. I hope you're listening to your body routinely. Your knees will tell you when it's okay to push a bit. But if they are stiff, swollen or in pain that's a signal to scale back on the exercise and activity and spend more time icing and elevating. This recovery is definitely not a straight line. You'll have both forward and backward steps!

You may notice that I have merged your four threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. So please consider this to be your official recovery thread and post any questions or updates here. If you have trouble finding it again, bookmark these instructions on How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I will just add one thing---I have rehabbed both knees with the same PT---I have not had one moment of pain from him or from anyone who works in the clinic. My rom? 140 and 150.
 
I will just add one thing---I have rehabbed both knees with the same PT---I have not had one moment of pain from him or from anyone who works in the clinic. My rom? 140 and 150.
Me, too! My PT's never pushed me to hurt---they were, like Kelly's, very careful to keep me focused on working smarter---they understood that it is not all about hard work and pain.
 
Really all, he keeps telling me the window of opportunity is limited and if I don't push it I may never be straight totally or have the ROM. I'm really goo g to tell him all this. He is going to feel stupid. He's made me cry and I still haven't gained ROM, but my right leg is straighter thAn it was. Well I took all your advice and didn't go to PT. I'm just going to quit. I only have 4 more visits left its not going to make much difference except cause me pain. My husband and I are still goo g to gym and we went walking today. I felt really good and was walking what seemed like normal. I was happy today. But the day before I was in pain all day. Especially In my heels. They are so sore. Do I have plantar fasciitis? Before surgery I was walking on the front of my feet cause my knees were in flexion. So I walked like on my tippy toes, it sounds weird, but it looked weird. Now my legs almost completely straight so my heels are getting the pressure. My ankles hurt too. I would love more of days like today,little pain more of normal. Thanks everyone for your support. Love Kimberly
 
It could be. or it could be as you say, your body is adjusting to walking normally. You are probably wise to stop the PT and do exercises at home for now.
 
Hi Everyone, I've been back to work for two weeks now. My first night at the hospital for a 12 hour shift, I felt fine, except by 630am my knees, leg and ankles felt big. Checked in the break room, and I was swollen with pitting. One of my RN coworkers was like, "Kim! You need Ted Hose! So I took home a couple pairs and my Charge Nurse let me leave an hour early. The next night I worked I wore the hose and I felt good, and a little swelling to none. Tonight is my 5th night back to work, I've gotten so much love and welcome backs from everyone. Im so thankful and blessed. I didn't realize I had so many people rooting for me. So now, on to another problem, I've been having some awful foot, heel, and ankle pain. Going to Foot Solutions store this morning to see what new orthopedic shoes I can get to help with the pain. It's funny, Im not taking Vicodin for my knees as much, but for my ankle and foot pain. Before I had my BTKR surgery, i was bent at a flexion and stood kind of crooked, and back bent over like an old lady. Walking on the front of my feet, or toes. Now Im straight and walking on my whole foot, and my feet hurt so bad. Had my last visit with my Doctor and told him about my heel pain, he told me to wear orthopedic shoes, and stretch my feet. So anyway, in alot of pain this morning with my feet, especially the left one. Going to Foot Solutions store to see what they can help me with. Love you all. God Bless <3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom