Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Wound infection

I am only aware of that knee after pretty intense exercise--like Zumba!! I intend to keep on keeping on.
 
@skigirl .... Zumba? Seriously? Good grief ... good on you! :thumb:

This is all I think I'll be able to manage once my knee is replaced ...

[Bonesmart.org] Wound infection


:giggle:
 
:heehee: Love your stick figure! You might be able to do the chicken dance :chuckmarch:
 
:heehee: You might be able to do the chicken dance :chuckmarch:

LOL @Pumpkln !! I think the leg work would be a bit too much for me to handle :eyebrows:

Well, I guess I was being a little too optimistic to think my OS could squeeze me in this week ... he's put me down as the 1st cab off the rank next Wed, so I'll have to go in on Tues afternoon as my blood doctor wants to hook me up to IV antibiotics right away.
 
Well, after all the waiting I'm back into hospital tomorrow. I have to see the Pre-Admission nurse at 2pm and then go to my room and get hooked up to my IV.

Am taking my computer with me so will let you guys know how my new knee feels once I'm out of ICU :happydance:
 
Good luck! Keep us posted how you are doing.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Helloooo right backatcha @gr82cu2 :wave:

Hi Janet, thanks so much for the concern :)

The operation went well apparently and I am now the proud owner of a DePuy Synthes 3 compartment knee! :wink:

They sent me down to ICU for the night as a precaution and that was good fun, as I saw a lot of friendly faces from my time there when I had the infection! Scott the physio came to see me and he gave me some gentle exercises to do which I could manage quite easily.

The next morning they transferred me back up to the Orthopaedic Ward and Scott came up to see me to more exercises which included me getting out of bed and taking 4 steps.

I was absolutely thrilled when I stood as my leg felt really well supported and after so many weeks of having no knee, it felt truly fabulous :loveshwr:

Long story short, the one thing which had Clay, my infectious blood doctor, worried was my high CRP after the op. It was in the 300s, then dropped to 293. I was put on IV antibiotics and also have oral antibiotics to take.

I brought along my vitamin supplements so have been taking all of them, including the Astaxanthin, and yesterday my CRP dropped to 271. Today Clay said my CRP had dropped to 153, which made him very happy!

As my wound is still oozing, he is being very cautious and pumping me full of antibiotics but feels that he might be able to take me off the IV soon and just continue with the oral antibiotics as the blood tests and the swab of my ooze have shown there is nothing bad in my body! Woot :happydance:

The ward physio came and got me to bend my knee and I managed to get to 95 degrees without any pain so she was happy with that, but my OS said he wanted me not to do much physio yet due to the oozing so I've had a pretty quiet time here.

Both my OS and Clay said I needed to wear my Richards splint if I have walks with the physio - boo! I was hoping that I could throw the splint away after having it on for about 8 weeks but no :( I also have to have my leg elevated when in bed. Funny, it's the same treatment as I had back in July so it made me feel that perhaps my healing wasn't going as positively as I'd hoped but perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic :sad:

Here's a photo of me which my husband took this morning. Monty (my blind ferret hiding behind my neck) is well known at the hospital so all the nurses, and now the doctors, come in and say hello to me and seem to always ask how Monty is :egypdance:

[Bonesmart.org] Wound infection

Cheers

~Nona
 
Haha! Love the picture! I'm thrilled for you, truly I am. You are doing so great for all you have been through. I can't even imagine, really. To have a knee back must feel glorious even if you are in pain at the current time. Hang in there and keep those infection bugs away.....for good! (((Hugs)))
 
What a great photo!! I love your smile. It sounds like you have a great start on this recovery. It is a good sign that those levels are consistently dropping. Take things easy for a bit and enjoy the stability of your new knee.
 
Great report, great photo!
Glad the surgery is behind you. Wishing you all the best for your recovery!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
@Lovestoread Thank you so much :)

Looks like I'll be discharged at the weekend as all my blood cultures, etc, are good with no bugs popping up so the doc reckon we've licked them :spin:
 
Well you have a lot of experience with recovery after a tkr, but I will still give you the recovery articles in case there is something that will help you. Also, I got bored in the hospital and even read an old People Magazine!!

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
:yay:that you are going home:happydance:. Great news that all your blood cultures are clear.
 
Thank you all for sharing so much. This thread has helped me to be more in touch with this MRSA infection. My prayers are with each of that it will be permanent fixes. Hang in there and be strong and brave. Hand it over to the Lord. Hugs to all.
 
Back
Top Bottom