Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning foot/ankle/leg have stayed in alignment overnight hence pain has been bearable. I am still in bed and have fingers crossed that all will be well when I get up. The bottom of my leg where the stem ends is sore. Now awaiting phone call to see how quick I can be seen. I will update my GP mid morning, I will never get through to her until then.
 
So, so sorry! I know it's difficult to do when you are hurting, but keep the pressure on these folks. You need answers and to be taken seriously. Sometimes only pushing will get you there.
 
Just come back from granddaughter's fourth birthday tea party. I sat and elevated all the time, but I did get to join in the fun. My leg has stayed aligned all day with the brace on. Still haven't heard from hospital about bringing the appointment forward or from GP (I left her a message).

I have requested a copy of all my records from the last 3 surgeries with a view to seeking another opinion. Peter James has a 4 week waiting list on the NHS and 10 days privately. Unfortunately it may take up to 40 days to get my records. I will ponder for a few more days and see what transpires from yesterday's A&E visit. I think they were considering keeping me in yesterday as I got an armband put on and admittance questions asked at the 3 1/2 hr mark. I did get IV pain relief also.
 
Great about birthday party. You are taking control unfortunately.all.too often the NHS works better when you push them.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin and everyone else for your support it does help. It is the first day consultant is available.
 
Ah @busylizzie

I'm so pleased your appointment got bumped up. It's the least they can do. Yaay for you x x x I hope,all goes well x x x

Love Ann x x x x
 
They got the consultant's Fellow to see me again tonight. My consultant isn't in until next Monday. I don't have any other option than to go through with it. He spoke about the six week opportunity to get 90 degrees. I so disagree with him and the aggressive physio the other day.
I can tell you that Peter definitely does NOT concur with 'aggressive' physio.
They use paper tape mainly on me now and a different bandage. No more of the stuff she used. It is in my charts,but I can't remember what it is called.
@RestAssured Micropore?

The only thing hubby and I can think of is that it is pushing something back into its correct position.
That's what I was thinking too.

With these hinged knees, the two main implants are fixed together with a barrel bar which is held in place with a circlip. This is an ordinary engineering device which is squeezed smaller with circlip pliers so it can be inserted into the groove in the implant. When released, the circlip returns to it's former size and should fit tightly, only to be removed with these same pliers. It is sometimes possible to not fit these quite accurately enough so they pop out of place and thereby allow the barrel bar to also slide out of place. I suggest that you print this off along with your excellent description of the problem and show it to Mr Kay when you next get to see him. But don't forget to tell him you got this off me and hopefully he won't be offended!! :wink: Of course I am not saying it IS the problem but it is a possibility.

[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved


[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
@Josephine thank you for your reply especially as you are having a rough time at the moment.

Peter has always been an advocate of gentle physio. He actually wrote so in my notes. Just a shame not all the physios agree with him. The one I sent packing never to see again certainly wanted to force the bend.

Peter explained about the circlip and how it was inserted last time I saw him. He didn't think it was causing the problem. He said it sat in a groove. Being an engineer I was interested to hear about it. Hubby and I have been thinking that perhaps the stem cement has come loose and the stem is moving up the bone and the splines have space to allow the stem to rotate and then the stem falls back in place in a different rotation. Hard to explain. The tibia plate has two location lugs on its underside so that does not quite fit the explaination. My knee isn't that swollen. My leg is swollen where the bottom of the stem is on the outer side.

I am being very careful not to aggravate the situation. I keep my knee braced all day, just taking it off when I go to bed. Even with the brace on it now feels unstable and I have trouble to stand without wobbling. I can feel some movement inside.

I can't manage straight leg lifts without pain and heel slides are a no no. I report back to the physio on Tuesday and was supposed to be doing these exercises.
 
I don't think it's anything to do with a loose implant. But I'm pretty sure it's the ram that is loose according to your description. Yes, of course circlips sit in a groove but I've seen a number of them not quite in and when tested with a hook, show they are ready to pop out. I know Peter is very experienced and all, but we can all make mistakes even the most obvious ones. I'll bet my frilly hat on it!
 
@Josephine, would that also explain my tibia rotating with respect to my femur? This keeps happening.
 
@busylizzie ,

My hinged knee came apart when I got into our tall bed face down. I rolled over but the bottom half of the leg was still in the "down" position. I had my hubby twist it back quickly until we heard a pop click. Then I knew that it was ok. My revision is a Smith & Nephew HK. Could it be that your revision has partially corm undone by the way you described the position of your ankle and foot? Just a thought. I have been rooting for you, praying for you, and I hope they find the solution that will get you out of pain with a better quality of life!:console2:


@Josephine , Micropore sounds like what they used. Thanks!
 
@busylizzie

I do hope your appointment with the surgeon clarifies what is going on with your knee.

Please will you take pity on my old eyes, and use a larger font? I find the small font you are using now is quite hard to read. Thank you.
 
@Celle the font changed for some reason by itself. I can't correct it on my tablet. I'll have another go tomorrow on my laptop. I've tried editing the posts but that doesn't work either.
 
Hi @busylizzie

You know the header bar above where you write your reply, you see B I U, then A underlined in red. Right next to that, if you tap that plain A, it adjusts the font size.

Also the little blue box in a grey box next to the first green arrow will save your drafts so all you do is click in the blue box. You get two options come up in a little dialogue box one says save draft for later. Click that when you need to save something for a while xxxx

Hope that this helps.

Love Nana mon 27 xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom