Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazed that you have to go elsewhere for a PICC line! I know that here we go to the oncology unit. It will make the infusions etc so much easier on you. Was the infection in the old implant?
 
No it wasn't from the cement spacer or the tissue samples. It was from the fluid. Coagulase neg staphylococcus and Micrococcus species were found - enrichment only. I have to continue to have Teicoplanin IV - missed last two doses due to no IV access and take Rifampicin orally
 
I have to go to Wigan for the Hickman line. No A&E or support services here, mainly orthopaedic dept here.
 
I have to wait for a day out outing to Wigan. It could be next week!! Feeling sick and dizzy at the moment, almost bed time. I'm shattered and have spent a long time in tears today. They got the consultant's Fellow to see me again tonight. My consultant isn't in until next Monday. I don't have any other option than to go through with it. He spoke about the six week opportunity to get 90 degrees. I so disagree with him and the aggressive physio the other day. I will do it my/our way. He so disagrees with it. I will see what the consultant says on Monday. They don't always agree. The consultant ordered gentle physio after the op. I got gentle physio today, the other one hasn't been anywhere near me since I gave him his marching orders. I got 45degrees today, which I don't think is so bad at this stage of recovery.
 
Oh @busylizzie I feel so bad for you... This is not how it is suppose to go and the hold up in getting to the other hospital is just so hard for you. Wish that there was something I could do but please know I am thinking of you and hoping it all comes around quickly for you.
Apart from all else you have the fight with the aggressive physio as well and all I can say is stick to your guns with it dear...
 
I am so sorry to read about your infection and having to get a Hickman line put in. I am so hoping it gets easier for you. (((Hugs)))
 
Busylizzie,
You are doing great, look how long your leg has been immobilized, 45 degrees, to that I say :wowspring:.
Keep up what you are doing and everything will come together, it is just such a long up hill trail.
Sending positive thoughts your way,:friends:
 
Just woke up for pain meds. Two nights ago I was refused some in the night despite knowing myself that I was well under the limit for the 24 hour dose for that med. I had to last an whole hour before I was eligible to have another type which I knew.

In the morning I asked to see the ward manager for an explanation. Of course I was right. I got an apology last night from the night ward sister and tonight from the individual nurse. Success but at the price of severe pain that night. I also complained about other things and an attempt to fix them was made also. Now I so wish I could go home to my home bed to a regime of rest ice elevation and gentle physio, but more than anything a good cuddle with hubby. What else could go wrong!!
 
I hope you get some good pain meds soon. I am just so tired of being in pain and am just finished. Please don't be afraid of the PICC (Hickman) line. I have small veins and am difficult to stick. The thought is scary, but I have had mine for a month and it is so much easier for labs and meds. I even had to have mine replaced because I developed an infection at the site. The "pigtails" are clunky, and people think that I am either on chemo or dialysis. Your willingness to share your experiences, especially with the spacer, have been such a help to me. I have made better decisions and know what to ask for and to insist on because of you. Thank you so very much. Sending well wishes and positive thoughts your way.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Woohoo I am going Friday lunchtime for the line. Then, only then will they arrange for daily care near where I live. Unfortunately the only place I can go is our main hospital in our local trust, a place I hate going to and brings back bad memories post hysterectomy. I have to be strong and go every day for six weeks. Another count down is about to start
 
Great news about getting PICC line - does your trust not have any OPAT (Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy
Services) that could give you your anti-biotics at home?? It's worth asking x

Shortie x
 
Good luck tomorrow. They will explain all the possible risks and scare the heck out of you. But it won't hurt, and you will see how much easier it is. The hospital taught me to load my antibiotics into the pump and how to flush the lines. The plan was for a nurse to check on me 3 to 5 times a week to do the blood draws for labs and make sure that I didn't screw up too much. For sure, ask! I can't imagine having to leave home every day for this.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
Good to hear you don't have to wait much longer for the line. I think given your circumstances 45 is pretty good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
@busylizzie, have changed your title per your request. Sure hope this infection can be cleared up soonest. Prayers and healing vibes being sent your way.
 
I've tried to negotiate another hospital to go to. They are adamate that they won't let me do it myself. I have to wait and see if I can, fingers crossed.
 
Can you ask if a district nurse can come out to your home and give the antibiotics? Let's face it it's one if their jobs x

Shortie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom