Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
How right you were @hopefaith. I've not been good tonight. The antibiotics have got my mind again. I feel so agitated and not right. It shall pass in a few hours as usual. This Hickman line is still giving me problems. Its itching and inflamed from my neck to under my armpit on one side, but no worse than when I saw the consultant on Friday. But I now have raw skin at the bottom of the dressing. I guess one on the nurses was over zealous taking the last dressing off and removed some skin as well.

My knee continues to be good except for the stiffness. It is getting there slowly and I'm not pushing it too much.

Lag is the angle between the femur and tibia when you straight leg lift, it is the bend. To do a good straight leg lift the lower the number the better

I hate having to go to the hospital every single day, but it will be a small price to pay to have a fully functioning knee at last. I' m going to try and get to sleep now as I' m shattered but may well be back browsing in a short while. I tend to sleep in short bursts.

Thanks again for thinking about me
 
@busylizzie You are the first person I have ever known that also has the mind symptoms to anti biotics. My doc thinks I am crazy when I tell her that. (I feel a little crazy when on them.:heehee: ) I am upset that the nurse caused some of the excoriation on your hickman site. ( I am a nurse and don't like these stories)
Yes, a good knee. That is what we all want for you too! Yea You for all you have been through. As always, I think of you often.
~hopefaith
0 0 0 (((((((hugs))))))))
 
This is only the second antibiotic that has done this to me, the other was Clarithomycin (sp). My dad when he was alive reacted in a similar way to one, I don't know which, I remember my mum saying that he wasn't himself and was confused and his personality changed. When he stopped it on doctor's orders he was OK again. I can't stop this one and the side effect is listed in the patient information leaflet. At least I'm not like this all the time it does come and go, but boy when it does it isn't pleasant
 
Sorry you are having problems with the antibiotics, it is only for now while it gets rid of the infection they found.
As soon as you stop the antibiotic you will feel much better.
Happy to hear how well the new knee is doing, glad your pain is down, and you are more comfortable.
Wishing you continued healing,
 
At the hospital this morning they think I have an allergy to the dressing on the Hickman line. I have several raw areas from round the edges of the dressing like small burst blisters. The nurse I saw this morning has seen them before on a patient who was allergic to the dressing. They have covered them with a dressing specially made for people with fragile skin, but they keep dropping off, I think due to the hot weather today. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to find out what to do. The NHS and weekends do not mix! The general irritation, itching and pain of the Hickman line also continues. As if this isn't enough my blood sugars are elevated and have been for the past three to four days despite taking extra insulin.
 
Hi busylizzie - you are sure making us Americans understand the healthcare system there. I really hope they can give you a non allergenic dressing tomorrow that helps! Every day is another one down! Xoxo
 
@Jozilla, yes I am on countdown with these antibiotics. My fear is that the consultant will want me to continue the oral ones for longer. Everyone at the hospital is surprised I have only six weeks of them. Still I will be able to go away for a few days holiday if I'm only taking oral ones and the line will be out.
 
Sounds like the kind of thing I do with dressings -- and you are right the sensitive skin one's do not stick as well. I have paper tape that I use to supplement whatever I am given.
Hang in there. J
 
I had a bad reaction when a nurse accidentally used some sort of stuff under the dressing of my port because my skin was so sensitive! I found myself clawing it off within minutes after she left! They use paper tape mainly on me now and a different bandage. No more of the stuff she used. It is in my charts,but I can't remember what it is called.
 
Just turned my laptop on for a selfie of my knee. I can't use my tablet to do this. I'll post a better photo on the knee scar thread when I can get hubby to take one - I've been asking all week.

My knee cap which I doubt I still have, should be where the vertical scar line is on the photo. the horrible red patches are remains of very large blisters. This is the 5th time this scar line has been used in the last just over 2 1/2 years. I think it has healed very well at just under 3 weeks


[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
I'm having to work hard to maintain my ROM. I have been rocking gently back and forwards on the pedals of my static bike only to the stage of discomfort. The stiffness has really set in. I've been icing, elevating an resting in between. My physio has been delayed by one week due to me only being available in the afternoons as the mornings are taken up with the antibiotics. I'm thinking of trying to get in with an good physio from the past (I have to pay) to see if she has any suggestions since this knee hasn't bent for so long. My consultant said everything will have shortened inside due to the six months inactivity. I don't want to overdo things but on the otherhand I need to gently lengthen things again. I don't want scar tissue building up, my body is notorious in producing scar tissue/adhesions
 
Nice scar, healing nicely, afer all the surgeries, it knows how to heal,
@skigirl has condiderable knowledge about scar tissue, and can help you with your concerns about scar tissue and adhesions.
 
Scar looks great! Now if we can just get the rest of you healed. (((lizzie)))
 
So sorry @busylizzie that the infection is still there....it seems unfair. I'm so lucky my infection was sensitive to well tolerated abx because I totally understand some of those side effects. Even my friends can see the difference now I am off some of them and the vomiting from dicloxicilian (sp) is what they think gave me the pneumonia. I have to be on abx a total of a year.

Your journey has been worse and it seems unfair that it isn't over.

I think of you often and pray for an infection free knee

Xxx
 
I am so sorry to hear about your problems with antibiotics. My father also had this problem. He was quite old when he had surgery----almost 90 and he went beserk when they gave him antibiotics. He was allergic to Penicillin as well. He thought he was back in the war and was screaming things like, "line up the guns" and watch for the Japs!! not exactly politically correct in an urban hospital. One of us had to sit with him --and he was so agitated, he would rip out IV lines constantly. Finally, they took him off the antibiotics and he slowly returned to normal. My heart goes out to you after seeing how my dad suffered.
 
The nurse I saw this morning has seen them before on a patient who was allergic to the dressing.

Sounds similar to what I have had from surgical tape; severe blistering that..... well, the rest is gory so I will spare you. But I went to the local drugstore and got a similar tape for sensitive skin and that helped.

I also have severe reactions to most antibiotics and feel for you. Either my throat was closing, tongue was swelling or I had horrible itching and hives within 5 minutes of when it was administered. So I feel for you!!
 
I now have a new dressing over the Hickman line. It is a much smaller dressing and the second one they tried this morning. It is a cannula dressing. The itching has reduced but I still have pain and irritation around the line but it is more bearable thank goodness. I've just got the blistered skin to repair itself now. I was 2 hours at the hospital this morning getting this sorted not counting the travel time. It certainly takes a good chunk of your day every day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom