Revision TKR Upcoming Rt TKR revison surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you, Lanie!!! You're doing it just right.
 
Thank you for the supportive replies, I really appreciate it. The difference in the physical therapy I am receiving compared to the previous pt is like night and day. :yes 4: Bonesmart moderators thanks for insisting that pain is no gain and giving me the courage to say no to even if it torturous therapy that was accomplishing nothing. I now have a positive, knowledgeable pt. Don't get me wrong she has me work this knee!!! She is constantly telling me to relax and take it easy and just let the knee work...not once have I had to have 71/2 pound weights placed on my ankles to bend my knee...and the other barbaric techniques previously used. thanks for listening.
 
^great to hear.
 
Bravo, Lanie!!!! So good to hear this positive report.
 
I haven't been here for awhile. I am still in pt 3 days a week. No real improvement in Rom(80) and extension(25). I am determined to keep going until OS says enough. It seems like my knee is the main focus right now. One good thing to report is I no longer need pain meds. Now if only there was some magic pill for the stiffness. A speedy recovery to all of you bone smarties.
 
I haven't been posting for quite awhile. Today I had an appt with a new ortho surgeon. This past year and 4 months has been a big decline in the quality of my life. My knee is extremely stiff and will not straighten nor bend more than 40 ROM. The ortho surgeon I saw today is going to do a revision 2-27-13. He said there is a 50/50 chance of improvement. I will take that chance. I have difficulty getting up out of a sitting position and walking. As a result of this I now have back problems.
 
I am sorry to hear of your knee's lack of progress. I hope with you that the revision will help----40 is not enough rom. did he/she tell you what the problem is with the knee? Is the old knee in proper place? Kelly
 
Lanie, I am very interested in why, after all what you have gone through, you have such restricted motion? I hope there is a good game plan for success. Let us know, there will be many "smarties" pulling for you.
Let's win this one,
David
 
I too am very interested in the 'why' to your lack of ROM. Although I did have a good ROM over a year ago, it is declining now. Trying to find some answers myself. I sure hope it all works out for you. 50/50 is sure better than what you have now. You have to try because it is your quality of life. Good luck!
 
Lanie So sorry to hear you are having problems and wish the best for you with your revision. I also am interested in hearing more of what your surgeon has to say about why you are in this situation.

I merged your latest thread with your old one, Lanie. We like to keep all of a member's recovery posts in a single thread so we can better follow your entire recovery journey. Please post updates, questions and concerns here.
 
The ortho is going to put in a thinner liner and remove scar tissue. I have written down questions to ask in regards to the surgery and also the ones suggested here on Bonesmart. I go Monday for a pre surgery appt and they will go over my surgery. Thank you Bonesmart for giving me the tools . I now realize how very important pain control is!
 
Lanie, I did have removal of adhesions (scar tissue) and a new liner put in too. I have a thread called "open Lysis of Adhesions". MY doc was very strict about letting the knee rest when it was hot and swollen. I went three weeks with just heel slides in my own house and then eight weeks with only table exercises--leg lifts, clam shells, etc.

He felt that exercising a swollen and warm knee would increase the adhesions. If that is your main problem, I would be very careful after the surgery to make sure you elevate, rest and ice a TON!! Kelly
 
Hi Lanie,

I also had a revision to replace the spacer,remove adhesions and do a posterior capsular release. If you check my thread, you should look from August 2012 forward, which is me going through the procedure and outcome. I had issues with extension, never maintaining any more than 12-15 or worse. This procedure was the right one for me and today I have 2 for extension and 122 for flexion.

My recovery routine was much like Kelly's, slow and easy, control swelling, elevate, etc. it paid off to take it slow. I would never do it any other way.

I hope you get the results you need to get your life back. Please keep us posted and let us know what questions you have. Support is just a few clicks away!

Take care,

Dawn
 
:) 13 more days til surgery! I have been reading the good stuff Josephine has for us in the library. BEG's postings have really helped me..I had a bad experience with the 1st OS...I had a list of the questions to ask about pain control and the lack of it prior to this surgery. I was reassured this would not happen and I would probably be given percocet. I am going to go visit the physical therapy center and see what its like on Saturday. pain control, rest, ice and elevate are my priorities.
 
I am home! The Rtkr (revision) hit a bump in the road. The OS removed the implant and cleaned out scar tissue. There were several loose places and the tissue wasnt attached back to the implant like it should have. He did not have a new replacement to put in and that would have involved a 4 hour wait or more to get one. I was surprised when I found out I had no replacement. I will be on iv antibiotics for 6 weeks , narco for pain. The OS asked me to think about the possibility of a knee fusion. Of course I am expecting perfect healing and a new replacement . I came home with a wheel chair and instructions ..no weight bearing on the right leg. Home health care nurse came to our house yesterday and gave instructions on how to adminster iv antibiotics. My hubby is going to be a wonderful nurse. I am just sad that it wasnt an easy fix. Thank God the OS was so thorough ...After coming out of recovery I kept asking the nurse where I was..they finally moved me closer to the nurses station. Now that was scary for me...Pain meds were making me a little coo coo.
 
Oh my goodness Lanie :sad: I don't know what to say but sending you big hugs. I really hope the antibiotics do they're job. It sounds like you have some serious decisions to make. At least you are home & your getting good quality care from your husband :) Wishing you all the best, jaki x :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks. I forgot to mention they put in a pitt(I hope this is the right term) that makes it easy to manage the iv antibiotics...no sticks...:yes!: I was in a lot of fear about my health. I will get better day by day. Patience is my mantra and I am so thankful I am still here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom