Revision TKR Upcoming Rt TKR revison surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said I was allergic to the cement used in the first tkr
AS a rule, it's the powder that causes allergic reactions. Once the cement is set, there shouldn't be a problem.
Apparently the smith nephew was loose in several places and he said it had to come out.
hmm .... well, it would be if it was infected. That has little or nothing to do with any allergy.
He said he was going to treat it as though there was an infection
Well, obviously he's a very clever chap! There are some around, you know. And the blood tests have proven him right.
the knee revision specialist he told me I had too many surgeries and couldn't have another knee replacement done
I'm not sure about 'too many' but then again, it depends what was done in the previous surgeries. Also upon the quality of the remaining bone stock.
 
Staples will be coming out 3-13-13....Oh boy ..I have an appt with the phys asst to have staples removed.The trip to drs ofc is 1hr40 min drive from our home. I called home health care today and asked them to get me a wheelchair pad as I have been having back and bottom pain.. Ohhhh my goodnesss what would we do without bonesmart...I iced my knee down this morning...what a difference it makes. Today the rn will do a blood culture and change the picc dressing. right now its just keep on keepin on for 5 more weeks of iv antibiotics. ice, rest, pain control makes me happy:)
 
home health pt came and gave some advice on getting me more mobile ...hubby is taking glass shower doors off..now I can use the hand shower. He is working on ramp for front porch. Gel cushion ordered for wheelchair..New goal is to build my endurance using the one hop method using walker and not spend too much time in wheelchair.patience, patience, patience. :tada:
 
Yeah Lanie!:happydance:

It sounds like you are making great progress! Keep it up but remember "slow and steady wins the race!" I wished I had remembered that!:heehee:
 
thanks girl! The rn called today and said she hadnt seen blood test results. The picc is messing up. On monday she could only get 2 vials of blood. I think she needed 3. So the one last week was not of any use, the picc can receive iv ok but cant draw out..I wonder when they will decide to do something to get it right. This is the worse home health agency...Oh how I miss Dallas Texas. We are blessed to have you on bonesmart to share your experience.
 
Thanks Lanie!

They have a special type of iv push that the doctor has to order when it clots off. It is called clot buster or something like that. When I was in rehab, the nurse had to call and get an order for it and they were able to get both ports flowing freely again. I was able to keep the same picc line for the 6 weeks, due to the heparin flushes every day and the clot buster they used in the rehab. Have you tried calling the home health and asking if they have contacted the doctor about your picc line? He would know what to order. Lanie, it can't stay blocked off very long, before they have to put in a new one. I hope someone can get it going! When they start have trouble drawing out, it is the first sign that they will soon have problems giving you iv's. Take care of you! I am worried! :scary:
 
yes they used the clot buster when the picc was clogged...it was not taking in the antibiotic..now it is the opposite...anyways I saw the physician asst. today and he took out the staples and ordered a muscle relaxer. Today was a very long day riding in the car and my knee felt like it had been braided! I am just relaxing now and hubby has gone back to town to get the med. And....I can now take a shower!!!!! yippeeee.
 
Have they told you your SED and CRP numbers yet?

I have mine done every 6 weeks now and my CRP was 0.5 and my SED was 12! :happydance:
 
Sonja, they didn't have any results for me yesterday. How many days does it take for a blood culture? I will call this morning and see if they have the results. The courier delivered the antibiotics and supplies at 10:30 pm last night. It was for Thursday and Friday as they are waiting for the blood results..My face feels windburned after the antibiotic is done and I also get indigestion. Did you have any side efects from the antibiotics?
 
It depends on the antibotitic . Have you called your doctor to see if results are typical. I was on Daptomycin because I had an allerigic reaction to Vancomycin.

Blood tests usually can be read within 4 days. When I had my last one done, since it was not sent out, the results were available the next day. 4 days is usually the max though.
 
I have been having meltdowns! Between the home health care, doctors and the company that sends out iv antibiotics , nothing has gone right! My blood work is supposed to be drawn every Monday and the picc dressing cleaned. The nurse came out Monday and couldnt get any blood drawn. She called for another nurse to come out. She was an hour away. Then the company that sends out the antibiotic calls and says they havent rec'd blood test results!!! This is going on 4 weeks of screw ups by communication between the 3. So the iv antibiotic people call and tell me they need another blood test yesterday. I told them I would go to a lab and have it done but I was through with the home health care antics. I went to the lab and they didn't have the orders. I go out in the hallway and call the person who had told me I had to get another blood test..Long story short..I started crying , talked to the nurses advocate with my health insurance. I no sooner had the blood drawn when the nurse from infectious disease dr. called and told me it had to be drawn at 645 am(the time I normally do the iv each morning) I was really getting upset. I explained that I needed to know who was orchestrating all of this...because it was a mess..she said from now on that she would be handling all communication to me. I think this was probably the way it should have been in the beginning. Anyways I do not have home health care as of today and was spose to have blood test done again this morning. I live in a small tow noth of Houston, Texas. The search will continue this morning for a home health care agency. 4 agencies were contacted yesterday and either they were not in my insurance plan or didnt have enough rn's to take me...In spite of all this my pain is being managed and I am icing and taking care of my knee...my emotions are just all over the place right now.
 
Lanie,

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I hope they find a good health care to take care of you!
 
Thanks Sonja. Ok now the infectious disease dr nurse is coordinating with the iv source and the new home health care people. I will have blood drawn tomorrow morning and then hubby will drive me to the medical center so the iv nurse can get the picc working properly. They want my levels of the antibiotic higher. My face feels like its wind burned while the antibiotic is being given, also my eyes feel very dry.
 
Hang in there Lanie, you sure are being challenged. Prayers and cyber hugs....Dawn
 
We are here anytime you need us. Just let us know, and we will be happy to entertain you, scream with you cry with you, whatever is required! I have been down the road you are traveling, and it has its hills and valleys, but in the end, I must say it was worth the trip! :happydance:
 
The picc is now unclogged! The dr took me off the vancvmcin(sp?) because of face flushing, burning dry eyes and ringing in ears.I will stay on cefepime and a new one I will start on Monday. I count my blessings every day.Yesterday was a long one in the car ....ice, ice, baby.
 
Only 9 more days until my OS appt. I am so ready to get my knee..I want this picc line gone! Hubby has built a covered porch and ramp but I can't get out to my favorite swing. I have thought it through how I might have to go down the ramp...but then it is about 25 feet through grass to get to it..I can manage a few feet hopping on one leg with walker..Next maybe a zip line??? I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter.
 
I would go with the zip line, lol. That might cheer you up. I am so sorry you are going through all this. Prayers this is soon a distant memory.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom