Revision TKR Upcoming Rt TKR revison surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lanie,

I am glad to hear that you are doing better and the swelling has gone down to where the knee looks almost normal. I was wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down.

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lanie!

I am very excited about your progress! :happydance: Please keep us posted! We care!
 
Lainie, I just found your thread and read it from start to finish. Whoa! You have been one brave, persistent woman. Your story puts mine in perspective. My healing has been slow, but I found a wonderful new PT and have begun to do much better. I am rooting for you. I think that all you've learned on Bonesmart and the encouragement you've gotten to find the right doctor and keep pushing for a good knee replacement have made so much difference, that, your husband and your clearly indomitable spirit. That's a big word but it doesn't begin to capture how amazing I think you are for pushing through all of the setbacks you've faced. Bravo!!!
 
Laine, I juat read your thread from start to finish and I;m so glad you;re doing so much better. You have been through it. We also live nirth of Houston (Tomball), and I had my TKR on 2/20 with Dr. Edelstein with Kelsey. Was he your surgeon? I've had some glitches along the way but nothing in comparison. Like you, Bonesmart has been very helpful in getting through this. I admire your courage and persistence. Keep up the good work.

Dorothy
 
Hi Lanie just come across your thread. Glad you are progressing well now. I've been going through much the same as you and still have a long way to go.

I have cobalt and chromium allergies. The cobalt one quite severe and hence had an oxinium knee fitted. The pain I have experienced since day 1 sounds like yours. If I could have got to the window whilst in hospital I think I would have jumped, the pain was so bad. I got told to 'toughen up' by one of the nurses. The pain killers just didn't work and still don't and I've tried lots. I was also given very aggressive physiotherapy and threatened with a MUA if my ROM didn't improve. The ROM improved but the pain and swelling got worse, I think the MUA might have been an easier option. It took six months to get back to see the surgeon and that was after I was re-admitted via A&E after being sent there by a locum GP!

The upshot of this was that I was scheduled for a diagnostic arthroscopy a year ago. I arrived at the hospital on the day of the surgery to be told that they wanted to revise the patella button as they thought it contianed a metal ring. They thought I was having reaction to it. No ring was found.

I have continued to have major problems. The surgeon signed me off in February this year and I got told to live with it! I saw my rheumy in March and he was very concerned about my knee and initiated tests and referred me back to another surgeon in the same hospital. White cell scan was positive but blood tests and aspiration were negative. Surgeon wants me to have a 2 stage revision and treat it as though I have an infection. I'm not sure this will resolve the problem and I might be in a worse state. Also I don't want to go back to same hospital due to the bad experiences there. I am now waiting a second opinion at another hospital.
 
Dorothy, yes Dr Edelstein was my surgeon..He is brilliant..I am still struggling with ROM. I go to see Dr Edelstein in 12 days. Thank u Juniper for your kind words. Today I managed to get on all 4's on the floor and to rock back and forth. Since I am not at 90 degrees yet I was told not to try the knee bend on a chair. I discovered just how numb the knee is! I am continually searching for an exercise to stretch my knee. I have been in pt since a few days after my surgery May 22nd. Thank goodness for good insurance. I think after 4 more weeks I will just continue on my own. We gotta just keep on keeping on!
 
Hi Lanie,

This is something a doc suggested to me once, although I haven't tried it. Go to a Playground where you can swing on a swing. As you think about the motion need to move the swing, you are extending as you swing up and bending as you swing back. It's almost an involuntary motion. And it's fun!! As I said, I haven't tried it but it can't hurt right?

Just a thought!

Be well,

Dawn
 
lanie, it is a small world isn't it? And Dr.Edelstein is great. I was very fortunate to get to 120 ROM and didn''t care for my PT so stopped after 4 weeks, and continued on my On my way. Just now getting over groin and abductor muscle pull I suffered at 9 weeks, but thankfully almost six months and I feel like I've turned a corner.

Do you by any chance live in Bentwater? I have a good friend out there who has a neighbor whose knee situation sounds similar to yours. Glad to hear you're doing better. And yes, we just have to keep on keeping on. Maybe we can meet up at Main Campus of Kelsey sometime.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy, I live about 7 miles south of Livingston on hwy 146. I have an apt with Dr Edelstein Aug 20th. I am going to ask him about a knee splint or brace that will help gain my ROM. Thankfully my pain is gone. I have been going to pt since May 28th. I am thinking its about time to stop. I walk and also have a recumbent bike, still unable to do a full revolution! I also do wall lunges with a big ball behind my back. Your ROM is wonderful.
 
Lanie, good luck with your appointment with Dr. Edelstein. Maybe stopping PT will help your ROM. I stopped after 4 weeks because my ROM was good and I felt he was far too agressive. I don't see himfor another couple of months when he will take x-rays. I still have swelling and some pain, bugt IMO I think that's ths result of being more accive. I haven't been on the bike since the pulled muscles because it seems to aggragavate it. I am going to start doing chair yoga andd some water therapy on my own.

Keep us posted as to what the dr. says.

Dorothy

Dorothy
 
Lanie, I just posted on my site about knee numbness. My doc says that's just a normal side effect of having a new knee. It doesn't have nerves and we experience numbness, which I have interpreted as pain. Truthfully, it FELT like pain. Now I am trying to think about it differently.
 
Hi Lanie,

I saw Dr. Edelstein yesterday. I' at 6-1/2 months post RTKR and having some problems with loosening around the posterior cruceate where they cut the ligament during surgery. He's treating it conservatively, and hopefully the exercises and aqua therapy will work so that I don't have to have a revision. How are you doing? You are fortunate you no longer have to be on pain meds. I look forward to that day and know it will come. I still have fluid on my knee as well, but he didn't mention draining it.

I really like him, he seems to listen to my questions, and most of the time I can understand the answers. Hope you're doing well and would love to hear from you.

Dorothy
Dorothy
 
Oh boy, sorry I haven't been on in awhile. I was progressing and after being told about 6 weeks ago that my ROM was 95, the new knee just kept getting stiffer. ROM is now 70!!!! Scar tissue. My OS gave me a prescription for a dynasplint. It's been over 2 weeks now. 1hour 3X a day. It sure does stretch it..then it gets stiff. My dr. said we will try it for 6 weeks and then he will take out scar tissue under the tendon that is causing it not to bend. I develop scar tissue like crazy. I will never give up on my new knee. I still climb on the exercise bike and do the ball behind my back and lean against the wall and do ???? wall crawl. No full body weight on my knees. Hope you all are progressing.
 
Don't give up Lanie. There is a solution, it's a matter of finding the right one for you.

I tried the jaz split and it didn't really help me. I ended up with a revision of sorts; opening the TKR scar, removing the spacer and removing all the scar tissue. He replaced the spacer and sewed me back up. In my case, the scar tissue was like a wall in the back of my knee and took forever to remove according to my OS. He said that because it was so thick, there was no way I could have broken through it. For recovery, I was conscious to go slow, ice, elevate and control pain. I did very little for the first 4 weeks or so, following the path that skigirl followed when she had this done. It worked well for me. It's been a year and now I have 128 and 3 for extension. It was no picnic, but like you, I have been fighting this battle for 2 years. I feel fortunate that my OS never gave up on me and wanted to see me get back into life.

I'm not saying my path will work for you, just an example of overcoming what seemed to be impossible to solve.i count my blessings each day.

I hope you find the solution. Please keep us posted!

Dawn
 
Good to hear from you Lanie. I'm hoping the splint helps you out, and that your ROM will come back. I've been fortunate with the ROM, it was 123 the other day with no pushing. It's my extension. After being at 0, it's -11, so there lies my inability to go down steps normally. They did x-rays and the hardware is okay there is just some loosening around the PCL - Posterior Cruceate Ligament. He said if Aqua therapy doesn't work we'll look at in six months and then do revision. We're in the middle of a move living at our daughters in town and will be moving into our new home in November. If this pt hasn't worked by then, I will have the revision ASAP because like you, I want my active life back and will not give up until I have it. Sending you big hugs from Houston.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom