Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Upcoming Rt TKR revison surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers are with you Lanie, what a journey! You sound so upbeat for the outcome, it's heartwarming! Be well and please keep us posted!

Dawn
 
Oh Lani, I am sorry to hear of this---I also hope the antibiotics work for you. Boy, I sure would do everything including finding a revision specialist before I would have a fusion. I hope you have a Kindle or something so that you can get books to read. K
 
Anyone else have to have a picc and do the iv antibiotics? This morning one of the hookups(not sure what its called) was clogged. We couldn't flush it with saline. The home health care nurse is an hour away came and couldnt clear it either..so now just 1 is working..I will hear from her in the morning...This has been a nightmare.
 
What a story, you have been through a lot. Wishing you all the best for an uneventful recovery.
My MIL had a PICC line for a hip infection. We took her to the hospital several times a week for infusion therapy, she did fine, and lived to age 98.
 
Today was a good day for crying. I felt so overwhelmed and disappointed . I had a good cry and then took a long nap. My husband made the bedroom and bathroom wheelchair accessible. I no longer have to hop with the walker. My pain is controlled. I will just take it day by day.
 
Hang in there Lanie...and bless your hubby, he sounds like a gem!

Dawn
 
My right foot started swelling today. Tomorrow the rn will come out and try to clear the blockage in the iv. Todays good news...the nurses aid gave me a bed bath and changed the linens on the bed! wooohooo:yay: Now I am off to bed to elevate. I think the rn will be drawing blood for blood culture. I have alot of emotions going on in me right now..mostly my disappointment is coming out as anger...I am short tempered especially with my hubby.
 
You have been through so much. Prayers that this OS gives you a new knee that works wonderfully from the start. I can't imagine a six week wait. I pray time goes very fast. Hugs!
 
My antibiotics were delivered last night about 11pm. The nurse was able to clear the blockage in the iv. That means 2 bags of antibiotics can run at the same time. It takes about 1 1/2 hours. Yesterday was the 1st blood culture. As potent as the antibiotics are I sure hope there is improvement. I have read some of the bone smarties posts about infection. I have a great deal of fear if I think about what may be ahead of me. For the most part each day is getting to be routine....pain meds, iv meds, meals,computer games, tv,and of course ice and sleep. It has been 1 week since my tkr was removed, no weight bearing and I have a brace that keeps the leg from bending etc.. Today is bath day! I might even do my nails. I have much to be grateful for...especially this wonderful group bonesmarties!
 
Thoughts are with you Lanie. It sounds like you are being as practical as possible under very challenging conditions. Celebrate the little things; a nice clean bod is a wonderful thing!

Take care and keep posting!

Dawn
 
Lanie, I am still a little confused---did your surgeon check for an infection prior to the surgery?

When he went in you said that the implant came off and he did not have another one---is that why he put the antibiotic spacer in your knee? Or did he discover signs of an infection?

It sounds like it will be a trial for you, but I also applaud your ability to take pleasure in the little things. We are always more irritable with our loved ones than with a stranger on the street!! One day I yelled at one of my kids for stepping on my bare foot---and then, I thought, wow, would I do that to someone who stepped on my foot at the bank? I had to apologize to my child and afterwards, I did try to treat them as nicely as I treat total strangers. {unfortunately I was not perfect in this !!!}

I am sorry you have to go through this ordeal. But why would your doc suggest a fusion? That seems rather drastic since many people on this forum have successfully dealt with infections. RestAssured Sonja being one who probably has lots of advice for you. Kelly
 
Yes the OS did check for infection and inflammation. He said that once he got the knee open there were several loose places and the tissue did not appear to be growing properly into the cementless implant. He said he was going to treat it as though there was an infection with iv antibiotics for 6 weeks and no weight bearing on the leg. I got the picc the next day and he also told me to seriously think about knee fusion during the 6 weeks. He did not do a revision because of what he found once it was opened.The OS is with Kelsey Seybold. My surgery was at St Lukes Hospital in Houston. I know he is being very thorough with plans for consulting with allergists also.He seems to think I may not have had an allergic reaction to the cement. I had my 1st blood culture while in the hospital and another one yesterday. Of course the home health rn failed to mention to my hubby and I we shouldnt administer the antibiotics! So I got a call from the infectious disease drs office asking if that was the case as the numbers were way off.I'm sure there will be another culture taken next week. Somebody dropped the ball. I will not agree to a fused knee.
 
Hello,

Lanie,

Thank goodness you are not agreeing to a fused knee! Was this surgeon the one that put your original implant in? If so, you need a specialist, and pronto! Why would he subject you to six weeks of antibotics on a whim? Something is not adding up and I for one would be heading to a revisionist as fast as I could. I see you live in Houston, well Dr. Maale my revisionist is in Dallas, and he will give you an honest answer! I promise you, you won't be left thinking about the possibility of fusion.

Sometimes doctors get in their own way, trying to help their patient too much. That is when a fresh set of eyes makes all the difference! :happydance:
 
Did they tell you a SED rate or a CRP rate? Those help to indicate an infection might be present. Then, a 3 phase bone scan also is useful for further study.
 
My right foot started swelling today. Tomorrow the rn will come out and try to clear the blockage in the iv. Todays good news...the nurses aid gave me a bed bath and changed the linens on the bed! wooohooo:yay: Now I am off to bed to elevate. I think the rn will be drawing blood for blood culture. I have alot of emotions going on in me right now..mostly my disappointment is coming out as anger...I am short tempered especially with my hubby.
If the ports block again tell them to flush with heparin. I would flush mine each time with saline, and then one heparin per doctor"s orders.
 
Yes we flush with saline and heparin each time.. they sent out cathovase and that cleared the blockage My1st tkr 6-20-11...then a revision specialist at Methodist Hospital Orthodpedics(10-24-11) put in a smith nephew profix because he said I was allergic to the cement used in the first tkr(Stryker)sooooo afterall theat time of pain and stiffness and much apprehension I began the search for another orthopedic specialist who could help me. I may have misunderstood what he was telling me as the removal and the finding of infection was so unexpected. I do have infection and that is what is being treated now. Apparently the smith nephew was loose in several places and he said it had to come out.
 
I failed to mention that when I went back for after surgery visits to the knee revision specialist he told me I had too many surgeries and couldnt have another knee replacement done.By the time I saw the OS at Kelsey Seybold I was hardly able to walk and in a great deal of pain,I am just so darn mad at the ease this surgery can be done whenever they want to do it but then drop u and say thats all that can be done. It is very hard to find a doctor that does revisions and all you can go on is recommendations from others. The 2nd and 3rd surgeons all came highly reccommended but no two cases are alike.
 
Lanie,

Am I reading this right?

You have had 1 replacement on 6-20-11
An MUA on 12-20-11
A revision on 10-24-11
Another revision on 3-27-13
Now you are on antibotics with a spacer because of infection? Same knee for all problems?

Have they told you what your SED and CRP numbers are? Those are helpful to know.
 
yes the same knee for all problems. I will make sure I get the SED and CRP numbers. They just delivered my antibiotics and supplies.I guess the rn will also change the dressing on the picc after she does the blood culture on Monday.
 
Lanier, I am with Sonja on this one---this is simply incredible. I am shocked. I am tagging Josephine to weigh in on this one since it is really beyond belief. You poor person!!! You have had so many surgeries and so much pain. I really do feel sympathy for you and your plight.

I hate to say it, but I do think that you need a doc like Dr. Maale who is a revision specialist. I sure hope things begin to look up for you---and I am so happy that you will not agree to a fused knee!!! If you even think of that, you can look at pegleg thread!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom