Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

I have been fortunate with my PT through my knee surgeries! Their philosophy has always been to the point of discomfort and not pain! I left the first PT place after the PT slammed her body weight into my Bent leg two weeks post op! I reached up and slapped the back of her head! She said that Hurt! I said, so did what you did to me, and I got up and hobbled out never going back! :whistle:
 
Almost 7 weeks post op I have been feeling more fatigue, it felt my body weighed a ton, no appetite, freezing all the time, so I finally called my PCP, he ran some tests - CBC, Vitamin D levels, and thyroid. The dr.'s called today with results and my thyroid is out of control, and Vitamin D is very low again.

My recovery has been going well, other than the extreme fatigue, so I'm looking forward to feeling better once the new medications kick in. Just thought I'd share that with you all.

turtle 68/20th February, 2013
 
Having a non functioning thyroid can certainly wreak havoc on your system for sure. You'll be surprised how quickly you will feel better with the change (or addition) of meds for this.

Glad you got to the bottom of it quickly and can continue your good knee recovery soon!
 
I really think it should be standard for us to go to our regular doctor for a check up after TKR, because TKR changes everything, and it's a vulnerable time. Plus often we need our PCP to prescribe our pain meds. It's great to hear you noticed, acted, and got yourself headed in the right direction so quickly.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016
​
 
I have been fortunate with my PT through my knee surgeries! Their philosophy has always been to the point of discomfort and not pain! I left the first PT place after the PT slammed her body weight into my Bent leg two weeks post op! I reached up and slapped the back of her head! She said that Hurt! I said, so did what you did to me, and I got up and hobbled out never going back! :whistle:

I had to sign-in when I read this RestAssured to say you go girl! I had to tell my home PT that if he hurt me I would hurt him back! Needless to say he never did :). Take care and sorry that happened to you.
 
Turtle it sounds as if things are going well for you! I had mine done just after you. I am going to visit my doctor and do some blood work a I am always cold now and just this last couple of days it feels as if every joint in my body aches (even fingers) as much or more than my knee which is so strange and just happened. I am hoping this passes.
 
I had to sign-in when I read this RestAssured to say you go girl! I had to tell my home PT that if he hurt me I would hurt him back! Needless to say he never did :). Take care and sorry that happened to you.

I'm sure she will think twice before EVER doing that to anyone else! :happydance:

After all, "The Shy One" might be hiding around the corner to slap the back of her head again! :rotfl:
 
SadKnee, have you had your blood work yet? My thyroid hadn't gone brittle since a couple of years ago, when I fell and broke my pubic bone (part of the pelvis) in three places. Vitamin D was very low then as well. I think the thyroid medication has started to kick in, but it will take a while for the D.

I haven't posted for awhile. Like all of you, almost 8 weeks out, I'm still cruising this roller coaster, and I'm definitely a standing member of the ODIC. Played mah jongg for 5 hours Thursday, after going to a dinner meeting on Wednesday evening, then Friday it seemed like I was on my feet all day around the house. I think I need to pay closer to the speed of my walking, as I find myself walking faster than I have in a long time, and must remember "slow and steady". It's just so nice to not have a duck paddle for a foot.

Anyhow, I've mostly rested, stretch, and iced yesterday and today. We are going to a movie later this afternoon - going to see "42" which is supposed to be really good. I'm looking forward to it after my mini-breakdown yesterday. Is this normal? One minute I feel fine, and then I'm sobbing, poor me, will this recovery ever be over? Lucky I have such a wonderful, understanding husband.

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend. I'm going to go check out the Masters Golf tournament.

Dorothy
 
8 weeks post op today. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. (no guarantees, though, as we all know this is a roller coaster ride.) Yesterday was the first day where I didn't fade away into extreme fatigue. Maybe the increased thyroid medication and Vitamin D are kicking in.

I am so grateful for this site and all your wonderful posts. You all have taught me so much. So far, it's been a good recovery. I still get teary now and again, but it's wonderful to do normal things. I drove yesterday for the first time, went to the mall and bought some shoes, went out to lunch, did rest in p.m., and then went out for a quick dinner, and even had a glass of wine. Please excuse my rambling, but at this point I think, even though he won't say it, my husband is tired of listening to me, and nobody really understands this process unless they've been through it.

Such small things I worry about and then the events in Boston yesterday really make you realize what is important, and that we only have this moment right and here and now.
Dorothy 4/16/2013. :angel: :flwrysmile:
 
Dorothy you are doing GREAT! I am back on my thyroid medicine and have upped my vitamins again and I am now making green smoothies every day as well. I had been on thyroid medicine as I was just at the point where I might need them but I was so nauseous in the hospital that I stopped taking everything and it took its toll on me. Getting out is so good for you! I do agree nobody understands this unless they go through it!!
 
:flwrysmile: Glad you're back on thyroid medication. The fatigue from that along with the surgery, is really debilitating. I think my thyroid medication has started to kick in, feeling much better, still tire easily but I think that's probably my own problem as I do tend to overdo it. Just watched Dr. OZ and the star of Modern Family (Sophia Vsp?) was on talking about thyroid problems, and, of course, the number 1 sympton is fatigue.
 
By the way, we bought a new temperpedic split king, adjustable mattress Friday, so looking forward to better sleep.
I'm replying to this message only because I can't quite figure out how to post a new one. I'm nine and 1/2 weeks post TKNR, and have been doing okay and was confident I was off the roller coaster (right). Friday evening I was doing leg raises, and noticed a pull in my groin so I stopped. A little bit later by quad got very tight, and the leg was very stiff, and there was no pain until the next day. The quad had loosened up, but now it has stiffened up.

I have been stretching and riding my recumbent bike 10 minutes a couple of times a day. Thank God for this forum, because I was terrified that my knee was "frozen" forever, but when I started reading the posts, I realized my knee was swollen and stiff, and that I have probably been a major member of the ODIC. Last weekend I felt so "normal", I went to a charity luncheon that lasted 6 hours, came home, went out to a movie, meanwhile being on my feet around the house. Next day, same thing on the go all day, then ended up at the ER where I was diagnosed with pneumonia and a very bad Urinary Tract Infection, and put on some strong antiobotics which have made me crazy. On the good side, had bloodwork and Urinalysis on Friday, and it came back normal.

My question is I'm betwixt and between as to how much and what I should do exercise wise. I have iced and elevated for much of the day today, rode the bike for 10 minutes, few knee slides and calf stretches, and it is better. Please forgive my rambling. I have read many posts, which have been most helpful, and I guess I just need a little advice. It's very difficult for me to know how much to do, and when to stop.

AGAIN, THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR BEING HERE, AND I WISH YOU ALL A BEAUTIFUL WEEK, WHEREVER YOU ARE IN RECOVERY. :flwrysmile:

Dorothy
 
Ok, so let me get this straight.

1. Rode bike 10 minutes a day twice a day and then felt groin pull and quad tighten
2. Recent pneumonia AND urinary tract infections.
3. Your TKR was Feb 20th, 2013
4. You are asking how much and how often you should exercise?

Well, Wow!

Dorothy,

Most people would be asking how long they should stay in recliner or sitting up so as not to get a recurrence! You are amazing.

First, in my opinion, I would slow down on the bike until the muscle has healed. Aggravating it serves no purpose. Perhaps gentle heel slides and walking to clear out your lungs for now? When you feel "good". Again, ease back into the bike. Is this a recumbent bike? Or a real bike, a bike with with the seat above the pedals etc. ? That would be helpful to know also. Different bikes put different types of stress on my knees as I have found. I hope you get to feeling better soon! :console2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016
Dorothy, I see that you have not been given the standard reading list for knee people. So,
I have some reading for you! The first set is essential reading, the second and third are useful and the fourth is just good information, but you will need it all.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016
 
I finally got an i-pod (my sweet husband got it for me for Mother's Day) so I can start posting. For some reason my Nook Color would not let me post. I apologize for starting a new thread, but I wanted to change the title. I'm a little frustrated today. I've been dealing with this groin pull, which brings with it extreme tightness in muscles in leg, i.e. thigh, abductor, and even calf sometime, and the lifting of my leg has regressed. I've been on anti-inflamatory for a week now, and finally went to the dr.s PA on Friday. He diagnosed the groin pulll and prescribed a gel with NSAID, muscle relaxer, and a couple of numbing agents. I will have the prescription tomorrow - hope it helps.

It was much better but yesterday I went to my daughters for brunch. She lives in a 3 story townhouse, so I was up and down the stairs a couple of times, sitting in between My muscles were so tight I couldn't go up normally. I guess my concern is my lack of ability to stretch, in order to keep my range of motion. I was at 0 and 120. Will it still be there when these muscles finally loosen up? I guess I need to learn my lesson and rest more so that this additional injury will heal.

Does anyone have experience with this type of injury? I know it occcurs with runners but I think my resulted because of aggressive PT where he insisted I put weight on my legs and do 3 sets of 15 leg raises. From what I read, it takes heat and rest to heel.

Other than that I've been doing great - doing normal things with rest, ice and elevating in between. Reading posts and responses on this forum has really kept me going. You all have great stories I can emphathise, sympathise, and laugh with,
 
Any injury at all requires the same things: ice, rest, NSAIDs, etc. I bet you don't need a rest review except maybe a gentle reminder that to get over the groin pull you simply have to say no to that kind of stair climbing. Women have so many layers of not knowing how to say no!! I guess perfection would've been to say, "Let's have brunch at [alternative location] because I really really want to get together but I simply cannot climb stairs until I'm bettter."

I guess it's hard to ice a groin but see if you can find a way. Even if you cannot bear it, NSAIDs and rest will go a long ways toward moving you in the right direction.

Your ROM may subside a bit during your rest but that will only be temporary.
 
I'm replying to this message only because I can't quite figure out how to post a new one.
You don't need to quote a post to get the message box. It's there all the time at the bottom of the page.

Plus I have merged your threads (again!). You don't have to start a new thread just because you want a different title. Just ask and anyone on staff will change it for you.

btw, did you actually read this article? One thread for your recovery please?
 
I've been dealing with this groin pull, which brings with it extreme tightness in muscles in leg, i.e. thigh, abductor, and even calf sometime, and the lifting of my leg has regressed. I think my resulted because of aggressive PT where he insisted I put weight on my legs and do 3 sets of 15 leg raises
You're darned tooting that's what caused it! See, when I say that aggressive PT can be counter-productive this is exactly what I mean. It can set recovery back weeks.
I've been on anti-inflamatory for a week now, and finally went to the dr.s PA on Friday. He diagnosed the groin pulll and prescribed a gel with NSAID, muscle relaxer, and a couple of numbing agents.
But where are the ordinary pain meds? NSAIDs are pathetic and gram for gram are around 40% the effectiveness of Tylenol. You could take/use all those things but add 1,000mg Tylenol 3-4 times a day and you'll notice a real difference.
 
Back
Top Bottom