• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

OP
OP
turtle68

turtle68

graduate
Country
United States United States
Thank you all for your good wishes.

Dorothy

OP
OP
turtle68

turtle68

graduate
Country
@north girl @Pumpkln
I had the surgery Tuesday and all went well. It has much easier than my original TKR. I woke up in recovery and felt very good. The doctor said that my tibia component was very loose and there were some bone fragments which he cleaned. I had great care. Never had to ask for drugs, they were always on top of. I though it was interesting along with OxyContin they used the Bonesmart cocktail of tramadol an 2 Tylenol.

Right after surgery I could do leg raises, it took me a couple of weeks after original TKR. I came home yesterday and had a great nights sleep. The Pt came in and I walked 250 feet, and I showed her my bend which is already 90. Mostly resting with a few walks around the house, they gave me exercises to do but I'm not doing anything but ankle pumps. All in all, I'm so happy and grateful to have this behind me, and thank you all for thinking of me.

Dorothy

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm so happy that your revision went so well for you. Now that your problems are fixed you will finally have a good outcome. I hope you continue to progress smoothly. :flwrysmile:

Pumpkln

Country
Happy to hear all went well, and you are doing so much better than for your TKR!
If you would like a new title for your thread, post it in your next post and moderator all change it for you.

Here is the post op reading for you:

First is the reading - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

uva55

post-grad
Country
Dorothy, I'm so a glad that you are feeling well...I wish you a painless recovery!!!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm glad to hear that your revision went so well, Dorothy. :) :flwrysmile:

north girl

Country
So happy for you that surgery went well and you are doing so good.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Dabber

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Lovely to read Dorothy. I missed your op as I was away in France for 5 weeks with my revision knee. Let us know how it's going.
:friends:

OP
OP
turtle68

turtle68

graduate
Country
@Dabber. So good to hear from you. Your holiday in France sounds wonderful. Today is 2 weeks from my surgery. It has been much easier than the 1st recovery with very little pain. I had my 1st pt today and was very pleased. My extension was -0 and ROM 110 without any pushing at all. Now If can just start getting some stamina back but I guess that, too, will come. I guess I'm so impatient because while my knee is doing great, I have no energy or motivation other than to just rest, ice, and elevate.

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
That's wonderful that you are doing so well. I was lucky to do as well with my revision too. I found that the tiredness was the one thing that held me back. You will begin to get your energy back a little at a time. For now just try adding a little bit as you can in the way of activity and let your body have the sleep it needs to heal. You'll be back to normal soon.

Dabber

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@turtle68 that's marvellous! Take things steady and rest as it takes it out of you.

I'm doing middling, but I'll do an update in a couple of weeks at 6 months. I'm on strong antibiotics at the moment for possible tick bites, so I'll let that subside.

We did have a really good holiday but there was lots of driving for Dh and we were so close to Nice it shocked us rather. I was very pleased to manage it though. We're back now to lots of weeding and processing fruit and veg. It's always exciting to see and eat the fruits of our labours.

Sue.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Margie013
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom