Guest viewing is limited

THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Vent away, @Toddlermom! :) You're in a place where people definitely understand what you're going through.
It's also okay to 'Raise hades and put a chunk under it' (one of my mom's favorite expressions).
I know you don't want to blow your top, but this is a delicate time for you and it's not too much to ask for family members to not clutter your walkways. You want to get through your recovery in a timely manner and in good shape. Letting people know exactly what you need from them is not unreasonable.
Now, getting them to listen....that's another thing. :wink:
 
@DeepBreath I have a grabber, but it was on my downstairs walker....and I didn't have the energy to fetch it. So I was just as frustrated at my own inability to fix the situation!!! I will bring it upstairs tomorrow when I shower.

@keeponmovin My kids are 2 &4. And I just gotta laugh about my toddler Zoo! I had these adorable munchkins with the FULL knowledge a hip replacement was in my future. In November '15, my ortho doc did surprise me with the news that I needed 2 hips! So you add up....2 small children+ Parents age 42 + mommy needs 2 new hips........we get ALOT of weird looks...for a variety of reasons!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Toddlermom - Do you happen to know what kind of device you were given? I also have hip dysplasia and my first surgeries were resurfacing procedures. I still have one in my left hip and it works well but now I'll be getting a THR for my right. I would like to get an idea what devices are used in females with dysplasia.

Thank you!
Wonder if your husband and mine shop at the same store since their clothes both have this strange attraction to the floor!:heehee:
 
[/QUOTE] There simply seems to be a mysterious magnetic attraction between his clothes and the floor, :rotfl:
[/QUOTE] I think it's attached to the male gene! Once something is off their bodies and has had gravity pull it to the floor it no longer exists. And yet they expect their favorite shirt or slacks plus all their underthings to magically appear in the drawer or closet when they want to wear it next.

Maybe it's time for a serious "what the consequences will be if I trip and fall" conversation - if he knew - in his heart as well as his intellect - that he would be consigned to ALL of the "wifely chores" for a much much longer period of time if you fell and dislocated the new hip .... maybe just maybe he'd get the picture and be more conscientious about picking things up ..... or at the very least dropping things into a corner out of the way :snork:

Other option might be purchasing a radio controlled bulldozer and from a sitting or reclining position - or even standing - use that to push things out of the way of your walker

https://www.google.com/search?q=rad...i9f_KAhUM0GMKHexjC1MQsAQISw&biw=2560&bih=1300
 
Day 6......lots of sleep....every hour. I feel like I should be doing more, but I simply don't have the energy.

@Josephine when I am standing or walking in my house, are there posture & walking adjustments that I should be making at this point? I know prior to surgery, I had some pelvic tilt forward and my left foot turned outward slightly. Or should I await my first PT appointment?
 
Since you're coping with a bad hip right now, it would be almost impossible for you to make any appreciable differences. Save it till after the surgery
 
@keepmovin I have a Stryker device, but I think that each ortho doc has preferred devices. I would just make sure that your doctor does a high volume of THR. Since 10% of THR are dysplasia cases, you want to make sure to find someone who has lots of practice ......if they only do 100 a year, that is 10 dysplasia cases annually. My guy does 300+ THR per year, or 30-40 dysplasia cases annually.
 
@Josephine ... Wait until after the 2nd surgery? Shoot! My mom wants to have her knee done in May before I do this other hip.
 
I am trying to get my kiddos on a "things don't get to stay on the floor" plan. :loll: It's madness!

I've got two grabbers. Recommend multiples of those gizmos for sure!!
 
We men are bad about leaving piles. I know I am. It is hard to break those habits sometimes. Maybe saving some of that banana pudding to use as positive reinforcement for him is the key :angel:

I am sure he wants to do his best for you, but you may have to give him a few areas where it is Ok for him to have some space to make his piles. If it is somewhere you don't have to have access to right now during recovery maybe you can let that area slide for now. But you can absolutely let him (and the kids) know there are certain areas where they have to do their best to keep it clear and clean.

We all know our significant others and families aren't perfect but we love them flaws and all.
 
@gullimac Awwww! I have been sleeping downstairs, so I am certain that he will more thoughtful about it when I am shuffling around our bedroom all day long! No doubt- right now I go up to shower and change clothes only.
 
one week since surgery! To celebrate, I am riding in a car.....to wait in the car and surprise the kids coming home from pre-school. It wasn't my most brilliant idea..... Riding and pain-meds make me very dizzy!!!! The kids were excited to see me.

Overall, some improvement. Still holding off another 30 minutes before I have some more meds.
 
End of the day....day 7. I have been experimenting with laying on my non-operated side (with a pillow between my knees). 20-30 minutes at a time. With the anterior approach, this is ok...but it does make me a wee bit nervous. It has been DIVINE to take some pressure off my backside-

My mother says that I am far stronger at 1 week than she was at 2 weeks. However, I kind of feel like a sleepy sloth...
 
Thanks for your reply! Stryker is what my surgeon is going to be using as well. He's very comfortable with the device and the high success rate. I agree with you on the choice of surgeons. My surgeon came highly recommended and I am very happy and comfortable with him. Because of the dysplasia, I was very careful who I chose. Not sure where I got this, I seem to be the only one in my family. My poor Mom...she thinks she did something wrong! :what:
 
@keepmovin From what I understand, there might be a genetic component. However, this is a deformity in the way the bones grow....before you are born. So the positioning in the uterus is far more likely to impact the shape severity than anything else.
 
@Toddlermom my PT told me basically the same thing....until my second hip is replaced I won't really get my gait corrected. Sigh.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom