Guest viewing is limited

THR Toddlermom - one down!!

The PT was so strange? They had hips and knees in the same class for a total of 10, and your buddy helped you with the exercise rather than PT. Also, the folks who were doing knees were so medicated that they were sleeping through class. They showed us info (getting into a car, and turns) yet didn't let us practice it. And I was the youngest patient in the room! And I felt very prepared after assisting my mom and my aunt in the past 3 years.

I will go to my doctor again, but I will ask to go to the regular Ortho floor for hip #2. The nursing staff was incredible at working with me through the BP issue. However, all PT was structured so the floor can close on Friday at 4 pm.....and that was assinine!
 
Staying ahead of the pain, and so much calmer environment today! :chillpill:

Although everyone was really nice at the hospital, every conversation included 'when you go home today'. I spent a grand total of 34 hours and 30 minutes there....:wowspring:

Today I have been quietly snoozing and snacking. No apparent bruising on the leg, minimal swelling on the knee, and some swelling on my hip. I have kept ice on it most of the time, and it is paying off. I can already slide my operated foot out of bed without help. I need assistance getting back into bed though. And no burning on the leg, so I am hoping to avoid the nerve injury that my mom experienced! Growing drowsy now.....:zzz::zzz:
 
hi @Toddlermom,, congrats on the shiny new hip!! You did it!
Your experience is similar to mine. The OS really wanted me to go home on the same day!! My BP was also low so I refused to do PT and the PT staff agreed. Lucky for me I had just attempted to walk to the bathroom and was dizzy and sweating from the low BP when the PT staff walked in.. hahah timing is everything!! I think the surgeons are trying very hard to promote the anterior approach as outpatient surgery.
Our Philly newspaper and the Wall street Journal both have featured the anterior approach and focused on that very thing.
But you are home and you are sounding mighty chipper.. so glad your mother is there to help. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi, @Toddlermom, sounds like you are doing well at home. What a shame they tried to rush you out of the hospital given your bp issues, and the craziness with PT, but hoping you are getting the spoiling and rest you deserve. So nice that you have your mom there to help with you and the littles! Looking forward to your hearing about your progress once you've had a chance to catch up on some sleep.
 
Beginning of day 3. Always my favorite day after surgery. And it is only 3 am?

The good - I can slide my heel towards me on the bed. Helpful maneuver when dealing with pillows! And the kids are still at my in-laws house too

The bad - did someone run me over with a school bus??:bricks: Every muscle hurts from my neck to my knees. Taking both hydro codeine as perscribed.

The ugly- potty time. #2.....my friend....it is time to return. Today I start adding accessories to my stool softener. I have some 'smoothe moves' hot tea to try.:praying:
 
One of the staff members mentioned that someone left the same day......and I looked at them with horror.
Insane! How can staff assess the patient's pain management in such a short time! And the issue you had with BP is very common. Then add rushing through PT assessment is a recipe for disaster.
did someone run me over with a school bus??
Almost! Lots of "carpentry" during THR. Keep that icing going - it really does ease any swelling.
 
@Toddlermom - That PT experience sounds really loony to me- just awful like kind of a nightmare!

I hope you can manage that pain you have recently started feeling. Sounds like you are starting to move quite well - that's great! Keep up the good work and get lots and lots of rest. :sleep:
 
Ohhh my friend, @Toddlermom I've had a hard time getting to a pc, but you have been in my thoughts!

I'm upset for you that they tried to rush you out!!! And that PT is the strangest I've heard of! We are so well-informed at BS, I'm glad you stood up for yourself and got out of there! Can't imagine what the pain would have been had you stayed as long as they'd wanted.

Ice, ice baby :ice:...for that pain. Hope it can calm down for you.
 
Oh @Toddlermom , you are so funny! I hope your prayers and smooth move tea helps. I swear, I gave birth to twins years ago and those first few visits to the bathroom for the # 2 seemed just as intense!!!
I was a big fan of my prune juice 2 x a day. Plus the cholase (sp)
Back to outpatient surgery for THR.. Jaycee, that is what I thought, too! How would they help me if I had a reaction to a pain medication? My OS returned to see me around 3 pm and said again that he wanted me to try to go home. But the nurses and PT staff were totally against it. Thank God. I was so well cared for and was so glad to be there for that one night. Would have loved to stay the second night but actually did quite well at home.
I get so annoyed when my clients come in and want to tell me about how they read the newspaper articles about it being an outpatient surgery. So much so that when I need the right hip replaced I will talk very seriously with my OS about it beforehand. If he doesn't agree I would look for another surgeon.
 
Glad you made it home & the kiddos were taken care of by your inlaws. What a relief to not have to worry about what they are eating or how their bedtime routine is going. It sounds like you are doing just fine with the leg exercises & moving around. happy recovery.
 
@CricketHip I started prescription stool softener 2 days prior to surgery, and I am just now adding some prunes and tea to the menu. Gotta kick this into gear! And I find the suggestion of hip replacement as outpatient to be insanity. But they sent me home 5 hours after my BP stabilized and 3 hours after my pain levels did so.


@Readysetgo I just had my first....and most glorious shower!!!! Simple warm water, sweet smelling soaps and lotions can make you feel like a brand new person.

@gardengal The kids return tomorrow. They cannot wait to see the bed in our Living Room. Every time I mention it, they fall out with laughter like I am a comedian or something.

@MI Chickie ......I see your Vanilla Ice reference....and raise you with 'Stop collaborate and listen, Ice is back with a HIPSTER edition.' And that concludes my '90s rap performance today....:ice:

Tonight, I get to snuggle up and watch Downton Abbey with my sweetheart! Day 3 started out tough......but my friends, tonight is looking up--
 
@Josephine the past few days have been a bit of a medicated blur. Did I read something about meds to avoid when you have an uncemented joint? They did a Mako computer assisted anterior on me. And I am not on crutches or anything....fully weight bearing with a walker. The doc didn't give me any cautions about building the bone growth. But I gotta make this baby last!!! Any info that I have missed in this area would be greatly appreciated!
 
@Toddlermom congrats on your new hip. I had problems with low BP and itchiness post op too. Seems to be pretty common. I did find though that for about two and half weeks post op my BP was still low as I had a couple of near fainting episodes when home nurse was dressing my wound whilst I was standing. Maybe due to the meds. Listen to your body and rest. I couldn't tolerate sitting up for very long so would rest on the bed with ice and leg elevated
 
Did I read something about meds to avoid when you have an uncemented joint? The doc didn't give me any cautions about building the bone growth. But I gotta make this baby last!!!
It all depends if you've had a cemented or an uncemented hip, or a hybrid (cemented cup with an uncemented stem). If either of the latter, it would be advisable to avoid NSAID (see list here) as they have a tendency to inhibit the development of new bone cells. Since an uncemented device depends upon the production of new bone cells, this cautionary advice is self-evident, just don't get manic about it! It's only a risk - not an inevitability and further, once about 6 months have passed, the need for the caution will no longer be necessary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine I know it is uncemented joint (not sure whether it is only the stem or both). I am on aspirin as a blood thinner and Celebrex as an anti-inflammatory. So I just proceed for now and bring it up at my 2 week follow-up, I guess.
 
That would be the best thing. As I said, it's a risk, not an inevitability. Obviously your surgeon either knows nothing about it or doesn't think it carries any weight.
 
Day 4 progress......

1. Wearing loose undies - I got a few pairs of silky hipster style with lacy edges, and they are a size larger than normal. They make me feel a little sexy....:heehee:
2. Stairs - I have gone upstairs 3 times to fetch things. Not ready to sleep upstairs in the obstacle course, yet.
3. Independence!!! - I can get in/out of my bed unassisted....very carefully. Loving my hospital bed downstairs. Really, the BEST thing that I have done for myself. I sometimes need help with the linens, but overall I can get into the bed and arrange the pillows most of the time.
4. The LOO......finally. This morning, I realized that my raised toilet seat meant that my feet weren't touching the floor. :idea:And I recalled some advice from potty-training my son....give them a step for their feet to balance. And it WORKED!!! Gives you some help in the pushing :yahoo:
5. The kids arrive- they come back in 3-4 hours! I can't wait to see them! I have missed them SOOOO much, and yet I am terrified. My husband has been so calm and peaceful. I anticipate far more anxiety upon their return. Say lots of prayers over this one!!!

Time for a nap attack-
 
@Toddlermom, I've been catching up with your thread. Oh my goodness, the PT and rush out of the hospital is ridiculous. Huge kudos to you for standing your ground.
I'm glad you're enjoying your hospital bed and yay about being able to get yourself out of bed!
The bathroom news is awesome too. It's definitely a top goal post op. :)
Sending good thoughts for the littles coming home. They'll be so happy to see momma! Things will be okay.
Keep up the great work!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom