THR Toddlermom - one down!!

@Toddlermom - what a palaver that all sounds! Poor you for being stuck in a cuddle dilemma (and of course they don't understand) but what a spot of juggling you had to cope with, including a snowfield of tissues. :snow dig: That will be one story you'll look back on and relate to them when they're much older (and at that distance will allow yourself a chuckle). It makes me feel guilty about the prospect of coping when I'm at the same stage of recovery (but minus toddlers). You really deserve a great BIG hug for being such a lovely loving mother whilst balancing your own needs. They don't call it the "terrible twos" for no reason do they?! Exerting their little personalities! I do expect the children will gradually become accustomed to this temporary new way of life. That chill channel sounds perfect for defragging and putting the brain into relaxed holiday mode :chillpill: So now a new day and a fresh new start each has its own challenges - but I suppose it's a new sort of learning curve. Personally I think you're doing just great :friends:
 
Day 12......

Some of my steri-strips are pulling away, so I am following up with my doctor tomorrow to check it out. It is likely fine, but they simply want to check on the incision. Planning on discussing the daytime usage of Extra strength Tylenol, for daytime usage. Although I am not in much pain. I have discomfort, stiffness, and feel tightness/pressure. Hoping to start some PT.

If my children are away, I feel confident moving with around my house without any mobility devices:yes!:. But 90% of my life is resting and using my walker.

Questions:

1. I haven't been able to sit for long periods of time. I am generally comfortable for the first 20 minutes....and I can continue while uncomfortable for another 10 minutes. Is this normal?

2. Who transitioned to Tylenol? When? How did you do it?

3. When did you start losing your steri-strips?


The kids are being....kids! I feel like I am doing a good job helping. However, I am only a helper. Not sure why this bugs me. I am not quite superwoman, lol! Maybe I will be able help more next week :fingersx:
 
You are very close to your superwoman days, they'll be here before you know it. If you have your hubby there to help, let him. I recall wanting to drive at about the 2 week mark so I had to cutout the Norco's. I kind of tapered off them, cutting them in half & spacing them out & switching to extra strength Tylenol during the day. Then just went to using half a tab of the Norco at night. You are probably to the point where you just take off without the crutch & realize oh no you're all the way in another room & no crutch nearby. Yell for someone to deliver it. Yup the two steri strips I had kind of loosened up & were peeling so I just took them off. I just used two over sized band aids trimmed off some of the sticky to fit over my incision during this time. They used glue on my incision & a spot where a blob of it was has left a bit of a mark on the side of my incision, minor thing. I'm sure it'll fade. You are really getting to the point where you should really be impressing visitors with your amazing recovery. That said though, you probably hit point of exhaustion too after doing more things. I didn't have issues with sitting except that I knew I needed time in bed with ice to keep the swelling down. Sounds like a pretty good recovery you are having, keep up the good healing.
 
I went to Tylenol at week four so I could drive, but if I have pain at night I still take ocycodon to end the day.

Sounds like you are doing well!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I tried out Tylenol today, and I did pretty good until 6 pm.....on a light activity day. By 7 pm, I needed something heavier! The kids were at school and I felt comfortable moving around the house without a walker or cane. Still icing, and not doing many household tasks.

I did some light clean up in the kids play area (while they were at school) because that area had become a virtual 'no-mommy land' because of the clutter. I started at the entrance and cleared a safe path....and I will tackle some more tomorrow.

We have family members helping, and they are awesome at entertaining the kids. However, they are not so good at tidying up afterwards. My hubby is working, cooking, cleaning and completing the bed-time routine. He is completely overwhelmed. I am so grateful that someone has helped 5-8 hours each day. And someday I will really help keep this house a humming. Wish that I was better at letting the rest go for now......there is always tomorrow!
 
It sounds like, even with the house all a-buzz, things are ticking along nicely @Toddlermom - even though poor hubby is overwhelmed.

When my hubby is like that I try to get him to arrange a night out with 'the boys' - you could do something similar and perhaps even get a kind friend to do the bed-time routinue with the kids.

LOL I just say to my hubby that he has broken both his legs as some point and I have had to take care of him in both instances, now it is his turn! Swings and roundabouts in marriage - it will all be worth it in the end - just make sure you take care of you in the process...

:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin I have a Stryker device, but I think that each ortho doc has preferred devices. I would just make sure that your doctor does a high volume of THR. Since 10% of THR are dysplasia cases, you want to make sure to find someone who has lots of practice ......if they only do 100 a year, that is 10 dysplasia cases annually. My guy does 300+ THR per year, or 30-40 dysplasia cases annually.


HI @Toddlermom !! I am catching up with your thread and I have the stryker also for my shallow dysplastic hip.. so far, so good!!
 
Day 16.....

Some ups and some things are....meh:sad:
The ups.....
1.Excited that I slept in my own bed upstairs for a few hours last night!:loveshwr: Although I went back downstairs at midnight to the hospital bed for the micro-adjustments...proximity to ice...and my next dose of meds, I am looking forward to spending the entire night in my bed sometime soon!

2. Mostly going without a walker in the house. Yippee!!!!! I am resting a ton. And I have been using help everyday with the kids to make it work. Slow and steady....

3. 3 days using Tylenol for daytime pain relief. Definitely need the Norco for night time. I might try to drive next week, since it is my non-operated leg.

4. Steristrips have all come off, and the incision doesn't look too bad! Swelling has gone mostly down. Progress.....


Worries:
1. Not really comfortable sitting for long stretches. Anywhere. I am in awe of you guys who can sit for longer than 20-30 minutes. There isn't any pain, however, I just can't get comfortable. At first I thought it was my chairs, but I am starting to wonder....

2. Weight gain - ugh! My lack of movement has resulted in some creeping of my weight. Folks have brought yummy foods and casseroles.....BROWNIES!!! I am ready to attempt 2-5 minutes on a recumbent bike as soon as the doc gives me the OK.

3. Tightness....my waist to my knees. I recognize that I was a unique replacement patient. I could sit on my knees and prop my foot into a chair (no Indian-style though). Just fretting about whether The range of motion will return. I can cautiously pick things off the floor while bending my knees (anterior approach allows this).

4. Dislocation fears - I understand this might be dis-proportional. However, the distraction of kid activity means that I react to them. You add that I have always been very flexible (which increases risks), and I am just nervous. I would like to have PT so I can truly figure out what those limits look like.
 
I think your report is pretty darn good for 16 days (especially having little ones running around)! I just simply LOVE my hospital bed! Can't imagine what my recovery would have been like without it. Hopefully your little ones are treating you well :-)
 
My personal assessment (from the perspective of somebody waiting to go through hip #1)....the good seems to outweigh the bad here. I am so looking forward to getting back into Bed for any amount of time.

I can totally relate to the whole reaction to the kids thing . Specifically the risk of not thinking and reacting on instinct to protect them. That whole maternal/paternal instinct thing is tremendously selfless and totally instinctual.
 
@Cynthia777

The bed has been a HUGE help. Especially with such an abbreviated hospital stay. The kids will sweetly ask.....'mommy, can we snuggle?' .......totally melts your heart! And they sneak into bed with me when they wake up in the morning. And my son loves to PUSH those buttons any time that I leave the room. They play elevator. :good-bad:

Tonight they are having a slumber party with their cousins because hubby has a game. I can do dinner, bath (w/help), or bed. No way can I do all three yet, much less solo!:shocked:

HOWEVER, I spent 6 hours ALONE for the first time....and it was heavenly. So much HGTV that it would have driven anyone else mad :loll:!!!!!!!
 
@gullimac

Thank you! Last night my husband told me that my limp is about the same as it was pre-surgery. I was shocked! :yikes: Because I don't feel like my body....FEELS right. Just a bit of a worry wart, I guess. It is still early days.
 
@Toddlermom I have limped for so long, I worry about how long it will take for me to loose the limp. I doubt I will come close to it until I get #2 under my belt. That limp is a habit sometimes more than a necessity.
 
@Toddlermom
Oh how I remember those cherished hours of childless freedom (and I only had one child)! I can't imagine how much more enjoyable that break would be after having gone through surgery!!!
I'm laughing about the hospital bed and the enjoyment your son is getting using those controls! Heck, my cat finds them quite intriguing as I motorized him up and down while he's laying on my bed. :heehee:

I think it's pretty commonplace to still experience the limp so early in your recovery. I think it will straighten out given time.
 
@gullimac
I agree, I'm not expecting anything close to a limpless walk until after my next THR. My limp is gone as long as I use my walker (which I will continue to use until hip #2 has been done). From what I nderstwnd, we need to retrain our brains to more or less "forget" the limp and relearn our normal gait.
 
@gullimac & @Cynthia777

I was actually shocked that it had improved to pre-surgical gait in only 16 days! My note must have sounded like the reverse, lol. I was surprised and encouraged. I was doing the wedding march for the first 5.....so this is a good shock!! Last night without the kids, we had time to talk and my hubby shared how much I appear to be improving...regardless of how it feels on the inside. :SUNsmile:
 
@Toddlermom Are you wearing old (pre surgery) shoes/slippers? If yes - then get new ones ASAP or get old ones resoled! The old ones are worn down in your pre surgery gimp/limp pattern and may be contributing to the body not feeling right and the the on-going limp. Or it could just be your body getting use to having a hip that does not hurt ;)
 
@djklaugh I am mostly at home, and barefoot. So it isn't a shoe thing right now. I have bought a few new pairs already.

I think I have my answer. It might be tied to my pain meds. When I take the heavier ones, I can walk without a limp, and the Tylenol....my limp can vary (time of day, beginning/end of dosing cycle). I have been trying to cut back on the opioids so in order to try a short drive in the neighborhood.

Lesson learned! Today I forgot to take my noon dose of Tylenol because I was napping.....and I was really having trouble at 5....when I realized that I missed a dose. Using my walker, etc. Took my Norco, and 1 hour later I was walking without a limp and without a walker. Guess I have my answer.
 
Using my walker, etc. Took my Norco, and 1 hour later I was walking without a limp and without a walker. Guess I have my answer.
:thumb: Still early days my friend. You need your meds to gain mobility. When you start forgetting meds as you did with your Tylenol, it's a sign you are starting to wean off. Take your meds to get rid of that limp.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom