Guest viewing is limited

THR Toddlermom - one down!!

Bits and pieces of sleep. BP is hovering at 80/59....so they are hesitant to use full doses of tramadol .....and no oxy. Pain levels are 3&4 right now. Taking other drugs. Tylenol, torodol, Celebrex, a muscle relaxer.....

Wishing I could get the BP up!!! Geez! Heart needs to 'get with the program'!
 
Oh you poor thing...rest...you have been through a lot. I hope your BP is normal soon and you can get some more sleep.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
VICTORY!!!! At 7:45 am my blood pressure hit 98/60.......and I can finally have some oxycodone--whew! I wasn't sure how I was going to handle physical therapy without full pain dosages. Made my first to the loo also! All of the staff keep talking about discharge, but I feel like My blood pressure was super low over the past 24 hours. Surely they wouldn't chuck me out if my BPis out of whack, right? (5 hours ago it was averaging 79/44).
 
They had to pump me up with IV fluid two times because of low bp. It made me be up the the bath room a lot & I think just the being up & moving around made my bp get more normal. I never felt light headed or faint though with the low bp. If they'll let ya stay a bit in the hospital stay. I was moved on out before lunch the next day & did subway on the ride home. Hope your feeling good enough to eat. Gald you are up & over on this side:curtsey:
 
Hey you're doing well! So happy for you. So sorry your BP has been misbehaving, but hopefully it will sort itself out soon and - when you're entirely ready - you can have lift-off and back home again :wowspring:. Pain levels sound manageable - best wishes and keep in touch :flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad to hear that your BP is better today. I understand why you're relieved that they will give you the oxycodone. That was the medication that worked like a miracle for me. The first three days are usually the worst. Keep up the great work!
 
Hi @Toddlermom and congratulations! I am so pleased to hear your surgery went well. Oh, yes, the itchies! I remember them well. I hope they ease up soon for you. I needed to have an RX cream to alleviate mine, which was concentrating on my back, which, of course, was impossible to reach and scratch! And the low BP seems to plague a lot of us. Glad that yours seems to be working itself out. Now, take it easy, follow the BS mantra and you will soon see yourself being more mobile. Have a wonderful recovery day!
 
Glad to see that things are 'looking up' :ok: Good job on getting to the loo as well! I think that is one of my fears - sitting on the loo for the first time after surgery! :unsure:
 
@JMACCA
From what I understand, opioids can cause the itching or an allergic reaction to some of the meds....there's any number of reasons for it...but mine was caused by laying on that nasty plastic encased hospital mattress and sweating, because of it.
 
Yay for the better blood pressure, @Toddlermom! :yay:
Remember that you have every right to express your concerns if you feel like you might be released before you feel ready.
I'm glad you were able to get a full dose of pain meds because that is so important. Ugh about the itchies...no fun!
Sending you continued good thoughts as you recover. :)
 
I love reading all the post. Toddler mom you are making me so comfortable with my surgery coming up in March. I know there will be pain, but you sound like it's doable. Congrats on making it through surgery .I will follow your updates as I prepare myself for what is to come.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
Recap of day after surgery - Boy, they were trying to release me....all day! We stayed in until 4:30 pm, and I am now at home. Let me start with this......the nursing staff were incredibly kind and very attentive. They were hesitant to give me full doses of pain meds until my blood pressure was up. But a discharge nurse arrived at 8 am to start the process. What?!?!? Anyway, I had half doses of pain meds and they sent me to PT......for an hour and a half. Seemed a bit long for day 1?? I finally walked my tush right outta there. That was my first time to sit in a chair...90 minutes -ugh. The exercise wasn't too difficult ......but I wasn't fully medicated.

When I walked back in the room (the farthest room from the 'gym'), and I clearly told the nurse that I was not attending the afternoon PT because I was not fully medicated. My pain levels had reached 7. Finally, My blood pressure was over 100 and I received FULL doses of oxy and Tramadol!!!!

Everyone seemed very surprised by my decision to skip, and the PT guy came by an hour later......my response 'nope!' Not doing THAT again today. So they offered to come back and do an individual session at 3pm to cover stairs because I left as they were starting that portion of PT. (the session mush have lasted 2 hours.

Well it seems the hospital planned to discharge everyone on the floor and close the floor by 4 pm. So I can stay at the hospital and transfer to another ortho floor, or go home. By this time, my mom hoping mad at the hospital....because she felt like it was a crummy choice. I had only gotten my pain back under control at 1 pm. After much discussion, we decided that we are going home because I have a hospital bed at home. I only wanted to move once--

Although my parents initially felt like this was a mistake, by 5 am my mom agreed that We were both more comfortable at home.
 
@Toddlermom so sorry you had such a rushed discharge! That is really not acceptable! Thank goodness you mother is with you. And I am very proud of you sticking up for yourself with PT. They were obviously trying to tick all the boxes without the least bit of thought for the patient!

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer back to. Please give a shout if you have any questions or concerns.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
I'm glad you stood up for yourself, @Toddlermom. You were absolutely right. I remember the only time my pain level went up was a couple of hours after the hospital PT. I did the minimum, but it still spiked. I'm really glad you are able to take the full doses of your pain meds. That makes such a difference. It's good news that you are home. I hope you are eating and sleeping. It's wonderful that you have support from your mom.
 
You are going to be one thankful cookie having that hospital bed! Hopefully your mattress is comfortable because the one I purchased for $79 wasn't top quality, as you can imagine. I bought a twin xl memory foam topper and boy what a difference (now I don't want to get out of bed because it's beyond comfortable).

I'm with you on the PT! I told them no a couple of times. They want to start pushing you immediately, which I think is wrong. Yes, PT right away to walk the halls, but that's it.

I'm happy you're home where you can get the "loving" care from your family. Much better than nurses attending to you! Rest and enjoy your family! Hugs! :loveshwr:
 
Happy to see you are on the recovery side, good luck!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Toddlermom - Glad you are feeling better and are comfortably home. Good for you sticking up for yourself with the hospital PT. And WOW- an hour and a half of PT on Day 1 sounds ridiculous!

Enjoy your family's support and get lots and lots of sleep! Wonderful - you did it - you're on the other side! :yes!:
 
Hi @Toddlermom. By now, I'm hoping you are all snuggled up in your own bed and being well cared for by your family. Glad to hear they got your meds and BP all sorted out. Now is the time for rest and to let the spoiling begin! Best of luck to you for a rapid and uneventful recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom